Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Help with a new rig not booting Live DVD [solved- kinda]

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Help with a new rig not booting Live DVD [solved- kinda]

Postby Wolfie Lee » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:57 am

Hello. My roommate recently bought a Motherboard and Video card for use with a P4 2.6 GHz processor I have so we can get rid of an aging Dell that is proving too slow for her and my sister's tastes/uses.

Here are the entire specs:

MB - ASROCK P4i456GV R5.0 with BIOS ver. 3.40 (ACPI compliant)(with ONLY the 20 pin ATX adapter - no 4 pin aux. adapter)
Proc. - P4 2.6 GHz (HT enabled)
Video - AGP 8x EVGA GeForce 6200 512 MB
Optical Drive - HP dvd840 (same one used to burn the disks in the older machine...all is well with it)
Memory snapshots:
1 Gig stick:

Memory stick 1a.JPG

Memory stick 1b.JPG

512 MB stick (sorry this is hard to read, but it was the best I could do):

Memory stick 2.JPG

PS - 350 Watt ATX Enermax Switching Power Supply

I first encountered the same problem posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=5399&p=56158&hilit=gfxboot#p56152

...the solution posted there did work, and the boot process did continue...however, every attempt at booting into a Live DVD session ended up FREEZING at the Splash screen, just before the Desktop SHOULD have then been "built". I even "Slept on it", giving it all night, in hopes it would be able to resolve any conflicts, given enough time...no such luck. The spinning Ultimate Edition 2.8 logo just stopped spinning at some point, and went no further.

I tried dialing back to Ultimate Edition 2.7 with the same Freeze at the Splash screen, and THEN all the way back to Ultimate Edition 2.3...same results, same spot....

This will be a dual - boot rig, when I am finished, so I grabbed the custom Windows 7 NVIDIA Edition DVD I have (available here: http://www.rtwincustomize.net/). That didn't even get as far as the Ultimate Edition attempts...giving a message: "CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - code: 5"

Can anyone see what the problem might be, here....I would think this should be an adequate mix of hardware to handle BOTH OS's. I'm just STUMPED.... :(

I should also mention that I tried the whole process with JUST the 1Gig Memory stick, and that did no good...both sticks show up at post, and pass the mem test...AND that I even burned a checksum VERIFIED DVD with K3B onto a PRISTINE Blank DVD...to no avail; same exact problem.
Last edited by Wolfie Lee on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OS: Ultimate Edition 4.6 gamers x64; Windows 7 x64 custom Nvidia Black edition; Linux Mint 17.3 MATE x64
MB: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
CPU: AMD FX6300 Black (6x 3.5GHz)
CPU cooler: OCZ Vedetta with replacement Nanoxia Deep Silence 92mm 1400 RPM fan
MEM: 8GB (2x4GB) Ballistix Sport DDRIII 1600; PC3-12800
GPU: XFX Double Dispersion Radeon R7 360P-F22M 1050MHz 2GB GDDR5
OS SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
NO Storage drive (yet)
Optical Drive: LG Super-multi with MODISC capabilities(Model# hidden in new build, not gonna remove it now...lol)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-5183
PS: XFX 650W XXX Edition Grey Modular
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Re: Help with a new rig not booting Live DVD

Postby oceania68 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi Wolfie

This might sound ridiculous, but have you tried it in another computer to see if the dvd is ok? Secondly, have you tried burning from a different computer? Else it seems to me to be more like the cd/dvd is hinting at retiring, Mine did the same thing ages ago, and I built a new one, and had no problem...

I would suggest also checking the connections, but since you mentioned that you had burned copy, i gather its working.. Is the bios setup to boot to cdrom first?

I got Ultimate Edition 2.6 x64 working live dvd both on my AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core Black Ed. with 4 gig Ram, works like a charm... (2.8 x64 wouldnt get past 80% install, so I flunked it)

I also got it working on my old machine which is a P4 Sillyron (Celeron) 2.6gig with 2 gig ram (but only I stick working atm) using a generic cd/dvd drive... and that worked... as a live dvd...

Also try a couple of other linux live dvd's just see if its not the burning process and to rule out a dying cd/dvd rom drive... hope it gives some suggestions ... :D
Linux needs to invest in Simplicity if it is to stand a chance against Windows.. :D

Registered linux user #454306
My machine has registration number #362486.
oceania68
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Christmas Edition

Postby Wolfie Lee » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Well, unfortunately, the Dell this rig will be replacing is crippled, not just slow (Even with a P4 2.8GHz proc.(??)). I'll probably transfer that P4 to the new rig, since the processor itself is faster. The IDE interface on the Dell MB used for the optical drive is burned out, so I can't set it up for a Boot from the old raid card I used to get a burner going within Ubuntu. It has a SATA HD interface, so only the one IDE option. I'll try to check it out elsewhere, but it will be some time before I can get to it. I would assume since the burn returned a matching checksum in K3B, everything should be OK with the burn, and the first DVDs I used were burned some time ago, and DID work on other rigs. Also, I did manage to get Windows XP Pro Performance edition to load on the machine (useless as it turned out to be at using the drivers packaged with the MB)....using the same burner, just to try to eliminate the drive as being the source of the problem, and to maybe at least have SOMETHING on the rig, but no Internet or sound drivers worked either, on that install. So does it still sound like a DVD Drive problem? I'm still a little on the fence with that issue...

Also, My Personal rig is currently down, awaiting a new MB, so I can't try it out on that rig, either... :(

An update....I WILL have a different DVD drive here, Today, and will try that ASAP.

Thanks for the input!
OS: Ultimate Edition 4.6 gamers x64; Windows 7 x64 custom Nvidia Black edition; Linux Mint 17.3 MATE x64
NO Storage drive (yet)
Optical Drive: LG Super-multi with MODISC capabilities(Model# hidden in new build, not gonna remove it now...lol)
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby ixnod » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:28 pm

silly suggestion and all, but try 32 pieces version on P4.

and the other errata about burn at slowest speed: check md5 sum etc.
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Wolfie Lee » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Well, I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure that the Ultimate Edition attempts were the 32 bit, and the Windows 7 DVD handles BOTH 32 and 64 bit - just choose during installation process...but it never even got CLOSE to that point of the process. And I ALWAYS choose the slowest burn rate on a DVD...usually around 4x.

I have a new (well...DIFFERENT) DVD drive here right now that I will attempt and post back asap on how that goes...

Thanks!
NO Storage drive (yet)
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby Wolfie Lee » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Well....no such luck. The DVD drive I swiped out of my buddy's computer turned up here deader than a doorknob! Given the fact I can burn with the HP 840 and that the XP Pro installed without a hitch, I'm just not sure that the problem is with the drive itself, though. I'll do what I can and match up the MD5 checksums with the ones given at the site, on brand new burns, tomorrow, when my roommate buys a new combo drive after work....the 840 IS my drive, after all, and they would have needed a new one anyway, because the one from the Dell gave up the ghost just this last month, as well...

...Meantime....

Any other ideas floating around out there?
NO Storage drive (yet)
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby oceania68 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:52 am

other than what you're doing, I suggest getting new parts... :D
Linux needs to invest in Simplicity if it is to stand a chance against Windows.. :D

Registered linux user #454306
My machine has registration number #362486.
oceania68
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Christmas Edition

Postby Wolfie Lee » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:48 pm

The Motherboard and Video card are BRAND new. The processor and memory I have had for some time, but both seem well in working order. Is it hardware limitations you are hinting at, here ? What different parts would you recommend for a budget Internet machine with at least a LITTLE muscle for the little bit of media the machine will be handling?
NO Storage drive (yet)
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby Cell » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:12 pm

What's the region on the dvd drive?

Reset the bios.

Open the bios and turn off any features that have to do with mem. shadowing/cache and such....if you have it.

The above probably won't make a dang difference but I do remember I had to do this to boot the live dvd with the new kernal.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Hey man, so is this NEW hardware you speak of the hardware listed in your sig by chance ?

nvidia chip sets are AWFUL I just hate them. Very unstable and unreliable. I have owned many of them lol Every last one have been crap.

CPU is really old now and suffers from some problems of it's own. Thus why it was replaced inside 4 months time.

8 GB with your on board memory controller on that phenom I is a no go to start with.

8 GB on the gen 2 or gen 3 phenom II yes but even 8 gig suffered on phenom II gen I .

I just see some pore choices is all. No offense intended.

I can give you choices that are cheap , highly effective and fast. Based on 2010 tech that works with Ultimate Edition out of the box no questions asked.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8