Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Help with a new rig not booting Live DVD [solved- kinda]

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Re: Help with a new rig not booting Live DVD

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:42 pm

pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby oceania68 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:30 pm

Guru, your machine specs should do wolfie justice.... it doesnt cost much in Oz for those specs... Though I got the Phenom II 955 Quad Core, 4 gigR, and mobo and box, and new dvd drive for $545 i built myself, for me that is cheap as the the store I buy from has no middle man... :D

Ive left it available to upgrade to the 1090T if i want too lata on... but I like the look of the new 2000 model AMD has been floating...

now back to topic, Wolfie, can i suggest looking at a few computer magazines and comparing hardwares, and then find a store that sells the parts cheaply and have a good time building it... :D

Let me give you a website for the store I buy from...... in Victoria, Australia, http://www.msy.com.au
These are in AUD obviously, but with our dollar on or near par with the USD, would give you some idea about pricing... Do some window shopping.... it therapeutic.... :D
Linux needs to invest in Simplicity if it is to stand a chance against Windows.. :D

Registered linux user #454306
My machine has registration number #362486.
oceania68
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Christmas Edition

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Athlon II 250 3 Ghz with 2 GB of DDR 2 800 and a decent AM2+ AM3 board can be had for What $145.00 tops . It would ROCK Ultimate Edition 2.8 GREAT.

So many options these days lol. But any ways , I gathered he did not want to buy new hardware just yet, rather make it work for now.

Just trying to give him a few ideas on directions to go for now.

I suspect OZ unity would probably work for this aging system just fine.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby oceania68 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:47 pm

Whether it is gaming or browsing machine, Oz Unity should be great for it, less heavy...
Linux needs to invest in Simplicity if it is to stand a chance against Windows.. :D

Registered linux user #454306
My machine has registration number #362486.
oceania68
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Christmas Edition

Postby pclinuxguru » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:14 am

So where we at with this ? Any update as of yet to share with us ?
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Wolfie Lee » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:27 am

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Here is the run - down on what I have Tried:

Ultimate Edition 2.8 lite
OZ Unity --- kinda bummed about this one... :( ---
Ubuntu 10.10
Ubuntu 9.10
and I even dug out my old Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn Alternate text-line install i386 CD...that did install, and even dual-booted properly with the XP install, but after selecting to start Feisty, it runs into the same wall as the Live DVD attempts in all flavors....and will also freeze up trying to go into the repair mode before any menus pop up.

All attempts Froze at the Splash ("countdown") Screen, as all other attempts. Except for the Feisty Fawn, all ISOs were freshly DLed, and MD5 sums were all matched with corresponding DL. All were burned, and attempted, with the new Lite-On DVD MULTI Recorder, using MD5 checksum verification with K3B....

I have yet to reset the BIOS, and go through the memory settings, as suggested by Cell, frankly, because I FORGOT it....! But will get on that sometime tomorrow afternoon/evening....So what I need is a decent lower priced socket AM2 board for an Athlon x2 64 bit proc. that uses an AGP 8x vid card...That is the only other option open in the "free" processor department...it is laying around the house, here...I suppose I should have started with that one, and saved myself such a run-around. :|

Would this be a wise choice:

ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA Socket AM2+ Mainboard w/ AGP 8x, nForce3 250, SATA RAID, 5 PCI – Refurbished

(Available here: http://3btech.net/asamsoammawa.html)

I know, I know...it's an Nvidia Chipset...but I have always had good results with them, honestly. As I said, my personal system always ran quick and smooth, and I played a lot of Alien Arena (made my way almost up to the top 100 within about 2 and a half Months, even). And we must not forget...there are budget restraints, here, as well. And I also happen to have 2 1gig mem sticks laying around, too, lol... So...let me know what you think...

I made a mistake, but I only had a Week to do a straight return, then all sales final, but I'm hoping they might have a little of the Christmas Spirit and do an even trade after 7 BUSINESS Days....? Got my fingers crossed. they have a 30-Day store Warranty, but the MB is in good working order, so I really can't try to use that as leverage.
Last edited by Wolfie Lee on Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OS: Ultimate Edition 4.6 gamers x64; Windows 7 x64 custom Nvidia Black edition; Linux Mint 17.3 MATE x64
MB: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
CPU: AMD FX6300 Black (6x 3.5GHz)
CPU cooler: OCZ Vedetta with replacement Nanoxia Deep Silence 92mm 1400 RPM fan
MEM: 8GB (2x4GB) Ballistix Sport DDRIII 1600; PC3-12800
GPU: XFX Double Dispersion Radeon R7 360P-F22M 1050MHz 2GB GDDR5
OS SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
NO Storage drive (yet)
Optical Drive: LG Super-multi with MODISC capabilities(Model# hidden in new build, not gonna remove it now...lol)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-5183
PS: XFX 650W XXX Edition Grey Modular
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Postby Cell » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:37 pm

Personally I wouldn't buy new hardware just to run a OS....especially if there's nothing wrong with the hardware.find a OS that works. ;) It doesn't have to be Ultimate Edition

But that is your choice.

Oh ya...make sure you give your agp all the shared mem you can. Make sure its at its fastest pipe line.

Cell
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Wolfie Lee » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Not sure how to do that, but I think I'll be able to find it in the BIOS, when I make all the other changes that you listed, Cell, but , meantime...

IF I go with the MB I listed, it should be an even trade, so no MORE $ involved, there. That is IF they will go for the straight exchange, at 3BTech...Monday will be 7 business Days since the purchase of the P4 MB. The receipt states: "15% RESTOCKING FEE ON ALL RETURNS WITHIN 7 DAYS. ALL SALES FINAL THEREAFTER." I just can't seem to get ANY Ubuntu kernel to go on this thing...I really thought that the 7.04 alternate install was going to pass, but a big ZERO there kinda put up a brick wall for me, as far as intalling something I am familiar with....

But My roommate IS willing and able to go with the AM2 Mohterboard even if they won't exchange the Socket 478 MB...I really hate that I was the one who ended up costing her more in the long run, but I KNOW I can get a good OS that I am familiar with on an AM2 rig...

So, any other decent Linux distros to try before I call it complete quits with this one? I tried messing around more in the XP Performance Edition install, and still can't get ANY drivers to work, so it won't end up a Dual-boot, after all, if all are satisfied with some other Linux OS....
OS: Ultimate Edition 4.6 gamers x64; Windows 7 x64 custom Nvidia Black edition; Linux Mint 17.3 MATE x64
NO Storage drive (yet)
Optical Drive: LG Super-multi with MODISC capabilities(Model# hidden in new build, not gonna remove it now...lol)
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby Wolfie Lee » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Wolfie Lee wrote:Here is the run - down on what I have Tried:

Ultimate Edition 2.8 lite
OZ Unity --- kinda bummed about this one... :( ---
Ubuntu 10.10
Ubuntu 9.10
and I even dug out my old Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn Alternate text-line install i386 CD...that did install, and even dual-booted properly with the XP install, but after selecting to start Feisty, it runs into the same wall as the Live DVD attempts in all flavors....and will also freeze up trying to go into the repair mode before any menus pop up.

All attempts Froze at the Splash ("countdown") Screen, as all other attempts. Except for the Feisty Fawn, all ISOs were freshly DLed, and MD5 sums were all matched with corresponding DL. All were burned, and attempted, with the new Lite-On DVD MULTI Recorder, using MD5 checksum verification with K3B....

Update:
Let's add Backtrack 3 to the list of those Live installs that didn't take....an older burn, so not verified, but have used it before, and it booted a Live session.
Last edited by Wolfie Lee on Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NO Storage drive (yet)
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:57 am

I really am SHOCKED that not one distro would install .

I have always been able to get EVERY system to take at least 1.

Done a lot of P4 systems , they are finicky, but I can always find a few distros to take.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8