Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Help with a new rig not booting Live DVD [solved- kinda]

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Re: Help with a new rig not booting Live DVD

Postby Wolfie Lee » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:52 pm

Well, guru...no, that is my personal rig, and it ran smooth as butter till the MB got fried. That is the one I mentioned waiting on the new MB. All the specs of the rig I'm working on are at the top post. And now add to that a spanking new Lite-on DVD MULTI Recorder. I never had a prob with 8 gigs of ram, either, but if you look, I HAD to update the BIOS for the Phenom to work...they flashed it for me at 3B Tech, Where I bought it, since I was a walk-in, not an Internet order.

Looking at those specs (up top, not in my sig), what are your cheaper suggestions? Preferably with the P4, though, that was "free"....but I hear you on it "having problems".....

Thanks, cell, will do all of that when i get back around to the darn thing, but....It's time to put the keyboard down and step away from the monitor on this one, B4 I put my fist through it!!! :evil:

The Region on the DVD Drive? Not sure, but do you mean PAL or NTSC? If so, NTSC (America)...I bought it in South Bend IN....

I'll have to take some snaps of the errors these Ultimate Edition disks are throwing at me, but I REALLY need a few days off on this job. Tired of spending my evenings banging my head against the wall after I get home from my new job....

really tired...
Last edited by Wolfie Lee on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OS: Ultimate Edition 4.6 gamers x64; Windows 7 x64 custom Nvidia Black edition; Linux Mint 17.3 MATE x64
MB: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
CPU: AMD FX6300 Black (6x 3.5GHz)
CPU cooler: OCZ Vedetta with replacement Nanoxia Deep Silence 92mm 1400 RPM fan
MEM: 8GB (2x4GB) Ballistix Sport DDRIII 1600; PC3-12800
GPU: XFX Double Dispersion Radeon R7 360P-F22M 1050MHz 2GB GDDR5
OS SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
NO Storage drive (yet)
Optical Drive: LG Super-multi with MODISC capabilities(Model# hidden in new build, not gonna remove it now...lol)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-5183
PS: XFX 650W XXX Edition Grey Modular
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Postby Cell » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:05 pm

Lol...take a break man.

If your mobo got fried do you know what caused it? Usually mobo gets fried because of another piece of hardware went haywire...least that has been my experience.

Cell
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Wolfie Lee » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:12 pm

...well....long story short, I fried it with the Vid card....shorted the thing (the metal from the bracket) with the case, and it "turned on" the computer....TWICE! Ouch...it took about a week but it finally died on me...I GOTTA remember to pull that darn power plug.... :oops:

All has tested good, though on the other hardware....Thank God!
Last edited by Wolfie Lee on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OS: Ultimate Edition 4.6 gamers x64; Windows 7 x64 custom Nvidia Black edition; Linux Mint 17.3 MATE x64
NO Storage drive (yet)
Optical Drive: LG Super-multi with MODISC capabilities(Model# hidden in new build, not gonna remove it now...lol)
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Cell is quite right. Boards die when something else pushed it to die.

That said, try this first. Drop back to 2 sticks 4 GB of ram.

update bios and use default settings.

Boot with a single GPU in at first.

Try and make sure limited USB devices are plugged in at first.

For kicks try the x32 disk to see if it is the CPU that has problems ETC.

seen CPU,s loose the ability to run x64 before.

Start there man, try another DVD drive to. Hell rip to a USB flash drive, I have a tutorial on that here.
[url]
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum/ ... =23&t=2131[/url]

That said, linux has a 0 tolerance policy with bad HDD,s to.

Clearly a hardware based issue, so start popping off some possibilities starting with what I listed.

FYI - I have seen what you did happen a few dozen times over the years by others. 9 out of 10 of them had more underling problems after it happened with other hardware items. In other words, instabilities that could not be fixed with out more replacements.
Last edited by pclinuxguru on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby Wolfie Lee » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:24 pm

YES....but this is NOT the rig I am working on right now...PLEASE see the top post for all of THOSE specs....I killed my own MB.....
NO Storage drive (yet)
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:27 pm

seen the top post like 6 times. Guess I am still lost on hardware in question.

That and I came into this late.

Please just list the hardware in question one more time thanks.

MB - ASROCK P4i456GV R5.0 with BIOS ver. 3.40 (ACPI compliant)(with ONLY the 20 pin ATX adapter - no 4 pin aux. adapter)
Proc. - P4 2.6 GHz (HT enabled)
Video - AGP 8x EVGA GeForce 6200 512 MB
Optical Drive - HP dvd840 (same one used to burn the disks in the older machine...all is well with it)
Memory snapshots:
1 Gig stick:

or

Dual Boot Ultimate Edition 2.6 x64 / Windows 7 Nvidia Edition x64 (custom RT Black Edition)
Cooler Master Elite 334 NVIDIA Edition Case
ASRock ALiveNF5SLI-1394 Motherboard (bios version NF_6.86)
AMD Phenom 8650 Triple Core 2.3 GHz Processor (cooled by an OCZ Vendetta)
8GB (2x4GB) DDR II 667MHZ pc5300 Topram memory
OS HD: SATA II 750GB 7200rpm Seagate 'cuda (Partitions:100 GB ext4 for Ultimate Edition / 650 GB NTFS for Win7)
JBOD: SATA II Storage - 80GB 7200rpm Seagate 'cuda; NTFS - IDE Storage - 500GB 7200rpm Seagate 'cuda; ext3 - 2 x Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm; NTFS
HP DVD 840b with LighScribe
Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S
EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB PCIe (rev. a2) driver Version: latest available to Linux - fully compiz
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Wolfie Lee » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Yes, that is the hardware in question, you did a wonderful job listing it there, yourself, but I WILL add that You left out a 512MB mem stick....lol...just picking on you, dude, sorry. It is the TOP set of specs You listed, however, there is a BRAND new DVD (Lite-on DVD MULTI 22x Recorder)... Yeah, I would like your input on what I maybe SHOULD use , other than what we have, but I kinda got to stick with the P4 if AT ALL possible...the vid card and Mobo can both be returned or exchanged at 3b Tech within about 3 weeks....they are online, and local to me, so maybe take a look - see there for an alternative.

Did not see at first that U had both sets of specs listed...sorry, for real :oops: .
NO Storage drive (yet)
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:15 pm

Wolfie Lee wrote:Yes, that is the hardware in question, you did a wonderful job listing it there, yourself, but I WILL add that You left out a 512MB mem stick....lol...just picking on you, dude, sorry. It is the TOP set of specs You listed, however, there is a BRAND new DVD (Lite-on DVD MULTI 22x Recorder)... Yeah, I would like your input on what I maybe SHOULD use , other than what we have, but I kinda got to stick with the P4 if AT ALL possible...the vid card and Mobo can both be returned or exchanged at 3b Tech within about 3 weeks....they are online, and local to me, so maybe take a look - see there for an alternative.

Did not see at first that U had both sets of specs listed...sorry, for real :oops: .

lol well don't I feel stupid, Clearly was working off wrong set of hardware.

give me a sec to look threw the hardware so I can intelligently offer up some things to try.

FYI - I have had a few OLDER systems do this to me before. Oddly enough the plane jane version of ubuntu 9.10 worked with each of them when Ultimate Edition 2.6 2.7 2.8 would not.

Have you tried unity oz yet ?

edit: ya man OLD system living on borrowed time. Intel gave an expected 3 year life span on the p4's.

I would not put ANY more money into what should be replaced, no telling how far the p4 has degraded at this point.

my educated recommendations is try OZ unity or plane old ubuntu 9.10 for kicks.

Post back and let us know. OZ unity can be downloaded here. http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum/index.php

you will need to be a member to download.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Wolfie Lee » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:33 am

Thanks Guru. I'll hunt down my Ubuntu 9.10 image and give it a spin. Won't be putting any more money in this, but in hopes of getting something out of it, I'm hoping it will take. Gotta leave for work shortly, sittin' here with my Java. You think it would be smart trying some dual core 64bit AMD mix, or possibly putting in an OEM P4 with what is already here? It would be prudent to return at least the MB, but I'm thinking the vid for the AMD rig would be pci-e, so probably at least exchange that...

Also, you have me thinking of MY system, now (the one in my sig)....I'll be attempting those things, but I really am not crossing my fingers on it, I did short the thing out twice.... :roll:
NO Storage drive (yet)
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby Wolfie Lee » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Hey, Guru... Thanks! OZ's Unity looks Fantastic!. I gotta try that out on my rig, when it's behaving properly for me. I am already a member there, I signed up back when Thee was having all the World falling down around him...If U see this, Thee, know you are still in my prayers...Anyway, I can't find the DL link for unity. When I go to the Downloads catagory on the site, all that is there are Ultimate Edition releases. Could you give me the direct link for the Download page on that? BTW...I did start a DL of the Ultimate Edition 2.8 lite release, do you think that might be an option on this P4 rig?

It'll be some time before I post back on this thread, as I have explained, it's time for a break from this head-banging I have been doing...and it IS the Holiday weekend, after all...SO

Merry Christmas, everyone! And, as always, Thanks a million. This is the #1 online community a geeky guy could ever want to be a part of :geek: ....
Last edited by Wolfie Lee on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO Storage drive (yet)
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8