Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Edit bootloader settings ?

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Edit bootloader settings ?

Postby ADPdirty » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Installed ubuntu on a separate HDD
It still detected Windows 7 installed on another HDD and messed up its bootloader
So thank god i did full HDD Image backup before that and was able to restore, so i can boot to Windows 7 or Ubuntu by selecting which HDD to boot from instead of having bootloader to pop with the menu. That way i can keep one OS on its own hard drive and not to worry about it effecting the other (Ubuntu seemed to ignore this even by being on a totaly separate hard drive).
Anyhow.
Ubuntu loader pops everytime and asking me which OS i want to boot and i dont want that.
Anyway to edit its settings so it wont even know Windows 7 exist ?

Thanks in advance.
Firefox+Adblock+MyWot makes Windows 7 obsolete "OS"
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.0

Re: Edit bootloader settings ?

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:20 pm

confused

how would windows 7 being loaded threw Grub effect Ultimate Edition in the slightest?

Might just be my lack of seeing the point here, but seems to me your complicating matters 100 fold.

Anything that would take windows down will not effect linux EVER.

The only way linux would take windows 7 down is if grub was lost, but that is easy enough to rebuild as needed.

For what it is worth, that correct approach was to unplug the windows 7 HDD entirely from the motherboard and reattach once linux was installed. Then boot via bios boot menu.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby ADPdirty » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:34 pm

i got 6 HDD's
1st for WIndows 7
2nd for Ubuntu
3-6 stuff

Windows 7 was installed prior to Ubuntu
When installing Ubuntu i chose to install it all on 2nd HDD thinking 1st will not be effected and yet it was.
BIOS default boot HDD is 1st and when after Ubuntu installed and computer booted for the first time instead of Windows 7 it loader Ubuntu Grub with option to load windows 7.
So i thought regardless of the installation directory, Grub took over Windows 7 Loader because it is selfish just like windows loader.
I had to restore 1st HDD to make Windows 7 load by default, and it being on 1st HDD that what was suppose to happen anyway, but with that restored and both OS's work fine Ubuntu still giving me an option which OS to boot from and i want that option GONE

Isnt there a Grub Editor or some sort that i can make it forget that Windows 7 even exist ? And why would it even care if its on a separate HDD (not partition).

Thanks

And sorry for being confusing. I want separate OS on a separate HDD not effecting any other OS's that mught be installed on any of my 6 HDD's
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

grub will seek out any boot loader and install grub to the HDD housing the current boot loader.

Remove the windows 7 HDD from the motherboard and then install linux.

this is the ONLY way to prevent grub from detecting windows 7 loader.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby ADPdirty » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm

pc-trends wrote:grub will seek out any boot loader and install grub to the HDD housing the current boot loader.
Remove the windows 7 HDD from the motherboard and then install linux.
this is the ONLY way to prevent grub from detecting windows 7 loader.

I chose to install Grub to the same hard drive where Ubuntu was, that way i thought my 1st in boot sequence HDD will not be effected yet it was.
Windows 7 Loader got screwed up by Grub so i restored Windows 7 HDD Image and everything was back to normal but Grub still thinks it replaced Windows 7 Boot loader and i want that information removed from Grub.
Is there a Grub editor of some sort where i can erase any Windows 7 Boot loader Info so it will boot to its self normally without asking me how or where i want to boot it up ?

I didnt have to unplug any HDD's to install 2 OS's on same machine, i simply have to chose which HDD boots what OS (usually its own) so by selecting HDD to boot from it boots up to an OS installed on that HDD. No physical interaction required (as for unplug/plug HDD's from main board and this trick is just not very practical)

Thanks
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby sambolinux » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:36 am

First like pc trends said unplug the hardrive then open a terminal and paste this

Code: Select all
sudo update-grub

it should get rid of win7 entry.
Computer: Antec NSK6500 case, MSI K9A2 Platinum, BE940 Phenom II,6gig ddr2 1066mhz ram, 4 sata hd (1 250gb seagate w/acronis for op sys bkp only and 1 TB wd green for movie bkp only and disconnected) , 3 1TB wd black sata II(no raid),Zalman 9700 air cooler, on board realsucks sound, Sony 42" hdtv connected to a 4670 ATI Radeon video card/ w Zalman 900 air cooler(very quiet) , 21.5 in Acer lcd monitor(cheap monitor finally died) , 2 ide dvd rw drives LG , 1 sata hp 340i bluray disk writer
OP sys : Win XP Pro, 1 Win7-64bit-ultimate and 1 custom precise 12.04 with all media codecs compiled by me and a bunch of media encoders.
sambolinux
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby JOHNNYG » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:36 am

sudo update-grub should resolve the issue without having to unplug the drive, this command will find any instance of installed OS's and load them as per your set up in BIOS (the default drive you boot from) if you have the loader installed on a different drive the command will not update the bios drive, so check BIOS , boot to that drive then run the command, I have screwed the pooch on this before! and ended up reinstalling for no good reason other than my own lack of knowledge,only to find that it was there all along, I just didn't know it ! DAMN bios ! ;) :ugeek:
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:55 am

Just tried this. Didn't work.

Grub was on the windows 7 install drive.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Arny006 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:38 am

I know to be very late in the topic, but i solve all boot-problems wit EasyBCD installed under Windows. In you case I would suggest following:
1) Reset/erase all entries. Notice: Don't reboot before you have not made at leasr one Entry.
2) Setup on each HDD one MBR (Master Boot Record)
2) New bootloader (Add new Entry) for Windows on big HDD, I suppose C:\
3) New bootloader (Add new Entry) for Linux (Grub 2) on smaller HDD

It's mean you setup two MBR on two different HHD's on each one you install one bootloader.
Some motherboard (e.g. Asus p5b Deluxe) have the option to can choice the boot-HDD by pressing "F8" just after using start-button, to not be confused with windows "F8" that come alittle bit later.
In this case you can start the desidered OS by selecting HDD. On my machine works it fine.

Greeetings
My slogan: When life gives you lemons :(, make lemonade! :lol:

My Configuration
Case:Thermaltake Soprano DS Black
Power Supply:Thermaltake Thoughpower 850W
PCB:Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi AP Solo
RAM:4 x 2GB Kingstone DDR2 @1066 MHz
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TheeMahn)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz
CD/DVD:2 x CD/DVDW SH-S183L TSSTcorp
HDD1:4 x Hitachi DLA 380, 250GB each in RAID5 in total 750 GB (NTFS Vista Ultimate 64 Bit)
HDD2:Samsung 1TB = 500 GB (NTFS Windows Backups); 150 GB (NTFS Linux Shared); 175 GB (ext4 Linux Ultimate 2.9 64 bit); 175 GB (ext4 Linux Backups)
HDD3:Initio 200 GB Ext. USB2 (Windows Downloads)
GPU:Asus NVidia ENGTS 450 1GB GDDR5 Memonry
Display:Asus VE228H Full HD 22" HDMI 1920*1080 16:9
Printer:Canon PIXMA iP2700
Scanner:Canonscan LiDe 25
Arny006
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby jslick1jim » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:15 am

As a side note, when installing it will install grub or windows boot loader too the boot drive set in bios. unless you change the boot order in bios for windows or select the right drive during install of linux of which you have that choice. Just my two cents. Jim :)
ImageMotherboard Msi Eclipse Sli
Cpu intel i7 920
Mem 6gig ddr3
x-fi extreme audio
ps2 keyboard
usb razer mouse
2 sata2 320 wd hd
2 ide 320 wd hd
2 segate 1tb hd
4 wd black 1tb hd
Visontek 5870
Hp Officejet Pro 8500 wireless