Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 2.8 coming in full force...

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Ultimate Edition 2.8 coming in full force...

Postby TheeMahn » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:02 pm

I have set my nose to the grindstone. Smashing many issues, even since the release of the beta. I am quite impressed with the concoction I have brewed; I am sure you will as well. It has been voted on as far as theme and the blue theme has won & will be the default theme. I have been writing css for firefox to ensure a smooth transition in this department.

In the past I have spent my time talking with admin / beta testers to get feedback. I just went through weblogs and can clearly see there are 2,000+ ppl using 2.8, sure I am one of them ;) A drop in the bucket compared to users of 2.6 / 2.7. Being a open beta is what has shifted these numbers. I guess what I am attempting to get at, I value your opinion and would like to ask good or bad your thoughts on the latest beta.

Do you think I should have included Ailurus for example. Tools to tweak an O/S to me are always a welcome invitation, however many users of Ultimate Edition are a novice if you will to the world of *nix. I want those of that caliber to embrace and welcome the "new" world. I do not want their first experience to be that of a bad one.

What is your thoughts. We are coming close to an end. Now, is the time to speak up. Or forever hold your peace ;)

I have to apologize I can not be on the forum as much as I would like to, first post in sometime. I am under a tremendous load. Anyone that pays attention to what I have going on, my results are back and I do not have TB.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Re: Ultimate Edition 2.8 coming in full force...

Postby Chuck-untu » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:06 pm

I must admit, I have been wanting to try 2.8 but have yet to dive into the Alpha or Beta. However, I do have the utmost faith in your work as you have never let us down in your product and for that I say thank you tremendously!

All of my *nix boxes have been converted over to Ultimate Edition except my headless box which I would convert if I would ever get off my lazy behind and upgrade the hardware in it.

Anyway I wanted to post a reply to say glad to hear about your TB results!! And can't wait for my d/l of 2.8 to finish!!

-Chuck
Chuck-untu
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Glad to hear about the great negative on the TB there Thee.

I agree with your decision on making it as smooth as possible for the newcomers both to Ultimate Edition and Linux in general. Any of us that want Ailurus and the like can manage an install or 2. I'm sure you'll do your usual work of art so as far as I'm concerned run with it as you see fit. You've never disappointed us yet and I doubt greatly that you'll start now.

As always wishing you and yours the best. Take care bro and do what you do best, and enjoy most.
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby dathem » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Hello, So glad to hear Thee Mahn that you don't have TB. Hoping that Karen is okay. As far as Ailurus, that can be installed later by anyone who wants it. I would agree that we would want to remove/prevent the UBUNTU traps/sabotage from hitting a new user. I am leary of UBUNTU Tweak, one never knows when the sabotage might hit again. I was impressed with the latest 2.8 beta, The startup animations and shut down animation is fantastic, I liked the animations within Firefox. Looking forward to the next stage! <BREW> <BREW>
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Blackwolf wrote:Great news re no TB....hope Karen is ok.... & keep up the good work

I am not trying to be a bearer of bad news, however she will have to continue to take pills in portions I pray to never see.
She will have to continue to do so for the next 12 months. I find it ironic, that they visit my house to ensure she does so. 4 PM each and everyday they are here for just that reason.

I have learned a few things about TB, one the "cure" was dev'd in 1949 & I believe is still the pro-dominant solution. The med begins with the letter I, however they give you the less predominant drug to ensure you survive. If it re-flares then you will meet the "I" drug. Piss poor we do not have better. They study to cure cancer on down the list, TB is squashed. Right?

I am sorry, I did not open this post for such reasons. I am looking for feedback negative or positive. I am trying to keep my head focused. Please humor me.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby TexasMike » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:02 pm

TheeMahn.
Great news about your lack of infection with TB! I do hope and pray for Karen and the rest of you family - I am sure this is a hard time for you all.
As to Ultimate Edition 2.8 - it is just as fantastic as expected. I agree with the other Mods/Admins that it is probably better not to throw to many tools at the new user, it just confuses them. If a user knows what Ailurus is, they will know how to obtain and install it. A "noob" might go poking 'round and end up with a bad experience. That could be the difference between learning a new OS and having a good experience or getting bummed and "running back to the familiar"...
Looking forward to the final release of 2.8!
Keep up the good work, and remember, we all appreciate your efforts, and we do care about you and your family!
Keep your head up and your eyes on the horizon - there lie your hopes and dreams.... <BREW>
Shop PC:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX TUF (The Ultimate Force) R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4GHz Bulldozer Eight Core Black Edition
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengance Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
Video: ATI 7770HD GHZ Edition 2GB PCIe 3.0
Hard Drives: Seagate 2TB, Seagate 500GB, Maxtor 500GB
SSD Drives: OCZ-Vertex4 128GB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
DVD Drive: Plextor PX-L890SA
Power Suipply: RaidMax Modular 1200Watt

Home:
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3ghZ
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video: nVdia GTX650
Drives:1TB SATAIII, 2ea 500GB SATAIII,
SSD: Samsung EV840 mSATa 250GB
CD/DVD: Plextor PL-890SA
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T260
MultiBoot OS: Ultimate Edition 3.4.2x64, 4.2x64-Lite, WIN7x64, WIN8.1x64
Power Supply: Corsair 850Watt
TexasMike
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby billhedrick » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:29 pm

I d/loaded the beta, but have not burned a DVD yet,now with this news,I think I will just bid my time... I will backup all the files off my 2.5 install and install it on that disk... I think that will fix the issues I was having with my grub!
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby JOHNNYG » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:33 pm

<BREW> Bring IT my Brother! <BREW>
Best wishes to you and yours! God speed! ;)
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Postby TheeMahn » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:56 pm

I have a new "toy", I have just built into the "ultimate-edition-customizations-2.8.0_all.deb", no I did not write it. Nick Glynn ([email protected]) did. It is a simple python script. I wrote the .desktop entries for it & debianised it.

Excellent work Nick Glynn (something I have missed since Karmic):
snapshot1.png
Change wallpaper / theme etc. of gdm.

For those that would like to test the software, first the source:
Code: Select all
#!/usr/bin/env python
# gdm-setup by Nick Glynn ([email protected])
# Simple setup for GDM, I made use of ImageMagick to keep my life simplish, go install it
# This is GPL2 so fix it and tell me what/where and why

import subprocess
import gtk
import gconf
import os.path

def GetAutoLogin():
    if not os.path.isfile("/etc/gdm/custom.conf"):
        SetAutoLogin(False)
        return False
    file = open("/etc/gdm/custom.conf",'r')
    index = file.read().find("AutomaticLoginEnable=true")
    AutoLogin = False
    if index > 0:
        AutoLogin=True
    file.close()   
    return AutoLogin

def SetAutoLogin(DoIt, User=""):
    file = open("/etc/gdm/custom.conf", 'w')
    if DoIt == False:
        file.write("\n[daemon]\nTimedLoginEnable=false\nAutomaticLoginEnable=false\nTimedLogin="+User+"\nAutomaticLogin="+User+"\nTimedLoginDelay=30\n")
    if DoIt == True and User != "":
        file.write("\n[daemon]\nTimedLoginEnable=false\nAutomaticLoginEnable=true\nTimedLogin="+User+"\nAutomaticLogin="+User+"\nTimedLoginDelay=30\n")
    file.close()

def GetAvailableThemes():
    ThemeList = []
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["ls", "/usr/share/themes/"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    for Theme in retcall.stdout.readlines():
        Theme = Theme.strip('\n')
        if '.' not in Theme:
            ThemeList.append(Theme)
    return ThemeList   

def GetAvailableIconThemes():
    IconThemeList = []
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["ls", "/usr/share/icons/"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    for Theme in retcall.stdout.readlines():
        Theme = Theme.strip('\n')
        if '.' not in Theme:
            IconThemeList.append(Theme)
    return IconThemeList   

def SetWallpaper(WallpaperLocation, DoBlur):
    """ This is the only setter that does craaaazy stuff """
    #print WallpaperLocation
    #print DoBlur
    commandToDo = "convert" + (' -blur','')[not DoBlur] + (' 4x20','')[not DoBlur] + " " +WallpaperLocation+ " /usr/share/images/xsplash/bg.jpg"
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(commandToDo, shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    for blah in retcall.stdout.readline():
        print "Convert: " + blah
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["ln", "-s", "-f", "-T", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg.jpg", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_800x600.jpg"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["ln", "-s", "-f", "-T", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg.jpg", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_1024x768.jpg"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["ln", "-s", "-f", "-T", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg.jpg", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_1280x800.jpg"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["ln", "-s", "-f", "-T", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg.jpg", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_1280x1024.jpg"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["ln", "-s", "-f", "-T", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg.jpg", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_1440x900.jpg"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["ln", "-s", "-f", "-T", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg.jpg", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_1680x1050.jpg"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["ln", "-s", "-f", "-T", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg.jpg", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_1920x1200.jpg"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["ln", "-s", "-f", "-T", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg.jpg", "/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()

def GetWallpaper(): #This is nigh on useless as the picture is always the same location when we're done with it
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["sudo", "-u", "gdm", "gconftool-2", "-g", "/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    return retcall.stdout.readline().strip('\n')

def SetLoginSound(MakeNoise):
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["sudo", "-u", "gdm", "gconftool-2", "-s", "/desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds", "--type", "bool", ('true','false')[not MakeNoise]], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()

def GetLoginSound():
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["sudo", "-u", "gdm", "gconftool-2", "-g", "/desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    if 'false' in retcall.stdout.readline():
        return False
    else:
        return True

#These two are backwards as the hide is the special case HURR DURR!
def SetShowUserList(ShowIt):
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["sudo", "-u", "gdm", "gconftool-2", "-s", "/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list", "--type", "bool", ('false', 'true')[not ShowIt]], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()

def GetShowUserList():
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["sudo", "-u", "gdm", "gconftool-2", "-g", "/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    if 'false' in retcall.stdout.readline():
        return True
    else:
        return False

def SetLoginTheme(Theme):
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["sudo", "-u", "gdm", "gconftool-2", "-s", "/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme", "--type", "string", Theme], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()

def GetLoginTheme():
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["sudo", "-u", "gdm", "gconftool-2", "-g", "/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)

def SetLoginIconTheme(Theme):
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["sudo", "-u", "gdm", "gconftool-2", "-s", "/desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme", "--type", "string", Theme], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).wait()

def GetLoginIconTheme():
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["sudo", "-u", "gdm", "gconftool-2", "-g", "/desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)

def GetAvailableUsers():
    retcall = subprocess.Popen(["ck-history", "--frequent", "--seat=Seat1","--session-type="], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    UserList = []
    for user in retcall.stdout.readlines():
        UserList.append(user.split()[0])
    return UserList

class ConfigWindow(gtk.Window):
    PlayLoginSound = True #Get from gconf
    LoginIconTheme = "" #Get from gconf
    LoginTheme = "" #Get from gconf
    LoginIconTheme = "" #Get from gconf
    AutoLogin = False
    WallpaperLocation = ""
    AutoLoginUser = "" #Get from file with grep
    BlurLoginImage = False
    UserList = []
    ThemeList = []
    IconThemeList = []
    ImageMagickInstalled = False #Get from running convert and checking for 0
    def __init__(self):
        super(ConfigWindow, self).__init__()
        self.set_title("Configure Login Settings")
        self.set_size_request(360,580)
        self.connect("destroy", self.quit)
        self.set_border_width(10)

#make sure we can write new backgrounds to the proper location
        retcall = subprocess.Popen(["sudo", "chmod", "-R","a+rw", "/usr/share/images/xsplash"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)

# Build sections
            # Config
        configPageOuter = gtk.Frame("General")
        configPage = gtk.VBox()
        configPage.set_border_width(10)
        self.playSound = gtk.CheckButton("Play sound at login prompt")
        if GetLoginSound():
            self.playSound.set_active(True)
        self.playSound.connect("toggled", self.CheckButtonSelected, "playSound")
        self.showUserlist = gtk.CheckButton("Display user list at login")
        if GetShowUserList():
            self.showUserlist.set_active(True)
        self.showUserlist.connect("toggled", self.CheckButtonSelected, "showUserlist")

#Figure out if we already autologin and check the proper button
        #and optionally grey out the dropdown with .set_sensitive(False)   
        HBox = gtk.HBox(False, 0)
        self.showLogin = gtk.RadioButton(None, "Show login screen")
        self.showLogin.connect("toggled", self.RadioButtonSelected, "showLogin")
        self.autoLogin = gtk.RadioButton(self.showLogin, "Login automatically as:")

self.userSelect = gtk.combo_box_new_text()
        self.AutoLogin = GetAutoLogin()
        #print self.AutoLogin
        if not self.AutoLogin:
            self.userSelect.set_sensitive(False)
            self.showLogin.set_active(True)
        else:
            self.showUserlist.set_active(True)
            self.autoLogin.set_active(True)
        self.UserList = GetAvailableUsers()   
        for user in self.UserList:
            self.userSelect.append_text(user)

self.userSelect.connect("changed", self.UserSelected, "Userselect") # Connect afterwards to avoid spurious signals
        self.autoLogin.connect("toggled", self.RadioButtonSelected, "autoLogin")
        configPage.pack_start(self.playSound, True, False)
        configPage.pack_start(self.showUserlist, True, False)
        configPage.pack_start(self.showLogin, True, False)
        HBox.pack_start(self.autoLogin, False, False)
        HBox.pack_start(self.userSelect, False, False)
        configPage.pack_start(HBox, True, False)

# Wallpaper
        wallpaperPageOuter = gtk.Frame("Wallpaper")
        wallpaperPageUp = gtk.HBox()
        wallpaperPage = gtk.VBox()
        wallpaperPage.set_border_width(10)
        wallpaperPageUp.set_border_width(10)
        self.PreviewThumb = gtk.Image()
        if os.path.isfile(GetWallpaper()): #If it aint there, don't use it
            self.PreviewThumb.set_from_pixbuf(gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file(GetWallpaper()).scale_simple(150,150,gtk.gdk.INTERP_BILINEAR))

self.WallpaperBlurCheckbox = gtk.CheckButton("Blur login wallpaper and sharpen on login")
        self.WallpaperBlurCheckbox.connect("toggled", self.CheckButtonSelected, "blurWallpaper")
        self.SelectWallpaperBtn = gtk.Button("Select")
        self.SelectWallpaperBtn.connect("clicked", self.WallPaperSelector, None)
        wallpaperPageUp.pack_start(self.PreviewThumb, True, False)
        wallpaperPageUp.pack_start(self.SelectWallpaperBtn, True, False)
        wallpaperPage.pack_start(wallpaperPageUp, True, False)
        wallpaperPage.pack_start(self.WallpaperBlurCheckbox, True, False)

# Theme   
        themePageOuter = gtk.Frame("Theme")
        themePage = gtk.VBox()
        themePage.set_border_width(10)
        self.themeSelect = gtk.combo_box_new_text()
        self.iconThemeSelect = gtk.combo_box_new_text()

self.ThemeList = GetAvailableThemes()   
        for theme in self.ThemeList:
            self.themeSelect.append_text(theme)
        self.themeSelect.connect("changed", self.ThemeSelected, "ThemeSelect")

self.IconThemeList = GetAvailableIconThemes()   
        for theme in self.IconThemeList:
            self.iconThemeSelect.append_text(theme)
        self.iconThemeSelect.connect("changed", self.IconThemeSelected, "IconThemeSelect")
        themePage.pack_start(gtk.Label("Select GTK Theme"), True, False)
        themePage.pack_start(self.themeSelect, True, False)
        themePage.pack_start(gtk.Label("Select Icon Theme:"), True, False)
        themePage.pack_start(self.iconThemeSelect, True, False)

# And add them to the setup
        configPageOuter.add(configPage)
        themePageOuter.add(themePage)
        wallpaperPageOuter.add(wallpaperPage)

#Buttons, buttons; who gots da buttons
        self.close_btn = gtk.Button("Close", gtk.STOCK_CLOSE)
        self.close_btn.connect("clicked", self.quit, None)

self.MainDiv = gtk.VBox()
        self.buttonBox = gtk.HBox()
        self.buttonBox.pack_end(self.close_btn, False, False)
        self.MainDiv.pack_start(configPageOuter)
        self.MainDiv.pack_start(wallpaperPageOuter)
        self.MainDiv.pack_start(themePageOuter)
        self.MainDiv.pack_start(self.buttonBox, False, False)
        self.add(self.MainDiv)
        self.show_all()

def WallPaperSelector(self, widget, data=None):
        chooser = gtk.FileChooserDialog("Select a new wallpaper:", None,
                gtk.FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_OPEN,
                (gtk.STOCK_CANCEL, gtk.RESPONSE_CANCEL,
                gtk.STOCK_OPEN, gtk.RESPONSE_OK))
        chooser.set_default_response(gtk.RESPONSE_OK)
        filter = gtk.FileFilter()
        filter.set_name("Images")
        filter.add_pattern("*.bmp")
        filter.add_pattern("*.jpg")
        filter.add_pattern("*.jpeg")
        filter.add_pattern("*.gif")
        filter.add_pattern("*.png")
        chooser.add_filter(filter)
        response = chooser.run()
        if response == gtk.RESPONSE_OK:
            self.WallpaperLocation = chooser.get_filename()
            SetWallpaper(self.WallpaperLocation, self.BlurLoginImage)
            if os.path.isfile(GetWallpaper()): #If it aint there, don't use it
                self.PreviewThumb.set_from_pixbuf(gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file(GetWallpaper()).scale_simple(150,150,gtk.gdk.INTERP_BILINEAR))
            self.PreviewThumb.queue_draw()
            self.queue_draw()
        chooser.destroy()

def ThemeSelected(self, widget, data=None):
        self.ThemeSelected = (self.ThemeList)[widget.get_active()]
        #print "Theme %s " % self.ThemeSelected
        SetLoginTheme(self.ThemeSelected)

def IconThemeSelected(self, widget, data=None):
        self.ThemeSelected = (self.IconThemeList)[widget.get_active()]
        #print "Icon theme %s " % self.ThemeSelected
        SetLoginTheme(self.ThemeSelected)

def UserSelected(self, widget, data=None):
        self.AutoLoginUser = (self.UserList)[widget.get_active()]
        #print "%s was selected" % self.AutoLoginUser
        SetAutoLogin(True, self.AutoLoginUser)

def RadioButtonSelected(self, widget, data=None):
        if data == 'autoLogin' and widget.get_active() == 1:
            self.userSelect.set_sensitive(True)
            #print 'Setting autologin'
        if data != 'autoLogin' and widget.get_active() == 1:
            self.userSelect.set_sensitive(False)
            SetAutoLogin(False, self.AutoLoginUser)
            #print 'Disabling autologin'

def CheckButtonSelected(self, widget, data=None):
        if data == "showUserlist":
            if widget.get_active() == 1:
                #print 'Enabling user list'
                SetShowUserList(True)
            else:
                #print 'Disabling user list'
                SetShowUserList(False)
        if data == "playSound":
                #print 'Enabling sound'
                SetLoginSound(True)
            else:
                #print 'Disabling sound'
                SetLoginSound(False)
        if data == "blurWallpaper":
                self.BlurLoginImage = True
                #print 'Blurring wallpaper'
                if self.WallpaperLocation != "":
            else:
                self.BlurLoginImage = False
                #print 'Normal wallpaper'
                if self.WallpaperLocation != "":

def quit(self, widget, data=None):
        gtk.main_quit()
        quit()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    import os,sys
    if os.geteuid() != 0:
        dlg = gtk.Dialog("GDM Setup", None, gtk.DIALOG_MODAL | gtk.DIALOG_DESTROY_WITH_PARENT,
                      (gtk.STOCK_OK, gtk.RESPONSE_ACCEPT))
        dlg.set_border_width(10)
        dlg.vbox.set_border_width(10)
        dlgLabel = gtk.Label("This program needs to be run as root.\nTry again with using either\nsudo or gksudo")
        dlgLabel.set_justify(gtk.JUSTIFY_CENTER)
        dlgLabel.set_line_wrap(True)
        dlg.vbox.pack_start(dlgLabel)
        dlg.show_all()
        dlgResult = dlg.run()
        dlg.destroy()
    else:
        ConfigWindow()
        gtk.main()

gdm-setup.py
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 487 times

Wait until you gents see the plymouth coming in Ultimate Edition 2.8, I did adjust the graphics to match the "now" blue theme. Miguelator, he is no joke. See I don't do it all ;P

Allow me to share a compilation of 6 plymouth themes:
ultimate-edition-2.8.0-plymouth_all.deb
6 Plymouth themes, test at your own risk ;)
(2.61 MiB) Downloaded 515 times

This will default your them to the upcoming 2.8 theme, once again you have been warned ;)

Changing Plymouth themes (in a terminal - I may write a tool for this is there one out there?):
sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth #two minuses forums like to screw that up

Returns for example:
theemahn@SledgeHammer:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
There are 8 choices for the alternative default.plymouth (providing /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth).

Selection Path Priority Status
------------------------------------------------------------
0 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate-sunriseGold/Ultimate-sunriseGold.plymouth 260 auto mode
1 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate-Chrome-solar/Ultimate-Chrome-solar.plymouth 250 manual mode
* 2 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate-Lava-solar/Ultimate-Lava-solar.plymouth 250 manual mode
3 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate-fade-in/Ultimate-fade-in.plymouth 250 manual mode
4 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate-sunriseGold/Ultimate-sunriseGold.plymouth 260 manual mode
5 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_Edition_2.8/Ultimate_Edition_2.8.plymouth 250 manual mode
6 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_pacman/Ultimate_pacman.plymouth 250 manual mode
7 /lib/plymouth/themes/kubuntu-logo/kubuntu-logo.plymouth 150 manual mode
8 /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.plymouth 100 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

Select the number of the one you wish to check out and issue the following before rebooting:
sudo update-initramfs -u

I guess if you can read between the lines I am actually running what will be Ultimate Edition 2.9, I do like to try and stay one step up on them ;) Feedback is appreciated.

I moved this down the post I did not want to confuse anyone, I think much faster then I type.
Tomorrow, I am going to call teamviewer and see if I can also include their software in our distro. I have used their software and makes it super simple for me or an admin to login to your computer and fix problems & quite secure I must add. Support, at its absolute finest.

As much as I hated in plymouth I may bring it back:
theemahn@SledgeHammer:/media/Storage/ply$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
[sudo] password for theemahn:
Selecting previously deselected package azenis-plymouth.
(Reading database ... 527318 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking azenis-plymouth (from azenis-plymouth-0.0.1_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package ultimate-edition-2.1-plymouth.
Unpacking ultimate-edition-2.1-plymouth (from ultimate-edition-2.1.0-plymouth_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package ultimate-edition-2.3-plymouth.
Unpacking ultimate-edition-2.3-plymouth (from ultimate-edition-2.3.0-plymouth_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package ultimate-edition-2.4-plymouth.
Unpacking ultimate-edition-2.4-plymouth (from ultimate-edition-2.4.0-plymouth.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package ultimate-edition-2.5-plymouth.
Unpacking ultimate-edition-2.5-plymouth (from ultimate-edition-2.5.0-plymouth.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package ultimate-edition-2.6-plymouth.
Unpacking ultimate-edition-2.6-plymouth (from ultimate-edition-2.6.3-plymouth_all.deb) ...
Setting up azenis-plymouth (0.0.1) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Setting up ultimate-edition-2.1-plymouth (2.1.0) ...
Setting up ultimate-edition-2.3-plymouth (2.3.0) ...
Setting up ultimate-edition-2.4-plymouth (2.4.0) ...
Setting up ultimate-edition-2.5-plymouth (2.5.0) ...
Setting up ultimate-edition-2.6-plymouth (2.6.3) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-22-generic-pae
theemahn@SledgeHammer:/media/Storage/ply$

Lets try the above again:
theemahn@SledgeHammer:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
[sudo] password for theemahn:
There are 18 choices for the alternative default.plymouth (providing /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth).

Selection Path Priority Status
------------------------------------------------------------
0 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate-sunriseGold/Ultimate-sunriseGold.plymouth 260 auto mode
1 /lib/plymouth/themes/Azenis/Azenis.plymouth 100 manual mode
2 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate-Chrome-solar/Ultimate-Chrome-solar.plymouth 250 manual mode
* 3 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate-Lava-solar/Ultimate-Lava-solar.plymouth 250 manual mode
4 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate-fade-in/Ultimate-fade-in.plymouth 250 manual mode
5 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate-sunriseGold/Ultimate-sunriseGold.plymouth 260 manual mode
6 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_Edition_2.1/Ultimate_Edition_2.1.plymouth 100 manual mode
7 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_Edition_2.3/Ultimate_Edition_2.3.plymouth 100 manual mode
8 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_Edition_2.4/Ultimate_Edition_2.4.plymouth 100 manual mode
9 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_Edition_2.5/Ultimate_Edition_2.5.plymouth 200 manual mode
10 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_Edition_2.6/Ultimate_Edition_2.6.plymouth 100 manual mode
11 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_Edition_2.6_Colorflash/Ultimate_Edition_2.6_Colorflash.plymouth 100 manual mode
12 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_Edition_2.6_Fire/Ultimate_Edition_2.6_Fire.plymouth 100 manual mode
13 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_Edition_2.6_Poppers/Ultimate_Edition_2.6_Poppers.plymouth 100 manual mode
14 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_Edition_2.7/Ultimate_Edition_2.7.plymouth 250 manual mode
15 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_Edition_2.8/Ultimate_Edition_2.8.plymouth 250 manual mode
16 /lib/plymouth/themes/Ultimate_pacman/Ultimate_pacman.plymouth 250 manual mode
17 /lib/plymouth/themes/kubuntu-logo/kubuntu-logo.plymouth 150 manual mode
18 /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.plymouth 100 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

Time permitting a new Ultamatix, may be also on the horizon, not that it does not already work in 2.8. Issues have been brought to my attention. This one I may not have time to make happen and not include it, we shall see. Ubuntu's dreams come true? ;) I am here not to battle nix, I am here to progress it, perhaps if everyone thought like I did less wars etc. I am not your enemy.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby TheeMahn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:51 pm

dathem wrote:Hello, So glad to hear Thee Mahn that you don't have TB. Hoping that Karen is okay. As far as Ailurus, that can be installed later by anyone who wants it. I would agree that we would want to remove/prevent the UBUNTU traps/sabotage from hitting a new user. I am leary of UBUNTU Tweak, one never knows when the sabotage might hit again. I was impressed with the latest 2.8 beta, The startup animations and shut down animation is fantastic, I liked the animations within Firefox. Looking forward to the next stage! <BREW> <BREW>

I have not posted on what you said, however we have a real tester there & it would be you. I personally appreciate every letter not word of your post. You would not know where I am going unless you have been there. Thank you again brother. I am not beyond removing software I have personally written to ensure such a transaction. I do not have the time to make it happen.

I have spent time pissing out alpha's & beta when I should have been doing my "job". I have concentrated my time since last release, I am feeling solid is coming. I may have to stroke / remove Ultamatix. I have the option of putting the release on the burner, I have neglected software. Do you know why I like Ultimate Edition? The only O/S that says you will get it when individuals such as you / admin / testers say yes. Not a day before. Sorry, I lied mirrors used to get it a day before ;)

A thief in the night.

I was looking at my sig, I now have greater then 4 TB online, I guess I need to update it.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8