Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

cant copy or change privlidges

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

cant copy or change privlidges

Postby deviltalk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:06 pm

havving issues tried copying theme to /usr/themes but i don't have permission, using a "root" account still cant.... wont even let me change permissions in i own it, is ther a way to do it in terminal, my dos exp doesnt help lol....

ty.

also how do i change the permissions of a folder and its contents?
Intel(R) Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
512 KB L2
1 g ram

deviltalk
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Re: cant copy or change privlidges

Postby JOHNNYG » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Hello and welcome deviltalk ! are you opening "root terminal" or just the "terminal" Try logging in as regular user, open terminal, type sudo nautilus enter your password and you will have root operations nautilus, To change permissions, right click the item, click "properties", then "permissions", Set "root", "others" and groups to "access files", Then click "apply permissions to enclosed files" botton, In any folder other than your home folder, you can only copy and past or set permissions in the root environment ! ;) Hope this helps, let me know! :) :ugeek:
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby deviltalk » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:35 am

i've managed to use sudo mv; to relocate the theme to the right directory, i've just tried sudo nautilus from window and i get;
## note some of the information has been changed..... ##
my_public_user_name@my_netbook:/usr/share/themes$ sudo nautilus
[sudo] password for mypublicusername: this_would_be_my_password
sudo: nautilus: command not found
user@netbook$

yea, command not found....????????????
its been doing that to me a fair bit.
i'm running a lgx110 dual boot xp/lubunto(ultimate 2.8 lite)
works great except for modifying the themes, gdm, gtk etc...
512 KB L2
1 g ram

deviltalk
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby kiwinsn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Try gksudo nautilus...works for me.

Cheers
System:
Specs to come.
Registered Linux user number: 542342
kiwinsn

Postby deviltalk » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:49 pm

ok i've found some commands and some combinations that work (learning is fun)
so i used sudu for root power.....
chgrp to make the file belong to another group
chown to change the ownership.
awesome....
now i go back to the themes and it does not see the files...... hmmm vexing.
i've tried drag drop, ect.... but to no avail, either it is not recognized as a 2.8 lite theme or i found a bug.....

i'm definatly picking up this pretty quick.

<BREW>

gksudo nautilus output
deviltalk@Gobbin:~$ gksudo nautilus

(gksudo:1585): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory of theme BlueDeck Icons has no size field

deviltalk@Gobbin:~$

:?:
512 KB L2
1 g ram

deviltalk
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby klaatubes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:55 am

JOHNNYG wrote:Hello and welcome deviltalk ! are you opening "root terminal" or just the "terminal" Try logging in as regular user, open terminal, type sudo nautilus enter your password and you will have root operations nautilus, To change permissions, right click the item, click "properties", then "permissions", Set "root", "others" and groups to "access files", Then click "apply permissions to enclosed files" botton, In any folder other than your home folder, you can only copy and past or set permissions in the root environment ! ;) Hope this helps, let me know! :) :ugeek:
Again, JohnnyG on the spot for us newcomers. I'm gonna end up learning alot of fundamentals by using your solutions around this forum. I've never experienced a better OS in all the years and I'm really loving the outstanding customization options, features and capabilities of this supreme distribution. Really great help in this forum. :D
Klaatubes (Registered Linux User #536037)

klaatubes
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby deviltalk » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:42 pm

i've learned alot since i posted this thread... wow a major lot.

this tidbit is for those looking for help with the same issues.

sudu (program name to run as admin)

now from most terminals this is the easiest way to grant admin access, but from file browsers, its not so easy, some will have a admin access point in the "browser" but it can be hard to spot. an easy way around this is use alt-f2 for a "quick" command line then use sudo yourprogram_or_filemanager you should recieve a prompt for the password enter it and viola your running it with administrator rights.

now there are alot of pages that are very helpfull in learning more about the linux commands, but the trick is you have to read them, they do not magically transfer into your brain. (time for a digress) search and delve the forums hold a vast amount of information, search with keywords for your problem, here are some search hints

problem your having
program its run in
goals you are trying to meet

when starting a thread, it helps to have even the minimalist understanding to what you are doing, explain in as much detail, what you want, what you expect, what you have tried, update your topics with new methods and solutions you have found share your sources, we are a community, teamwork makes everthing easier. (ok heres the digress)
i have a van it has a problem, i found several solutions that others have had but with no avail they still have problem, the problem is the same the fixes were different parts, i just finished a hydraulic course, the cause to all the malfunctioning parts started as a simple clamp that when the system pressure went up it failed letting air into the system(cooling system) creating a block, air was blocking the coolant thus causeing over time these parts to break.

now by using the forums i was able to compile a solution and a fix for the problem, and i posted it back into the forums. this works for everthing. i am a thinker, i am a builder i am...... thats a lot of i am's, put it together and its a we. we as a group learn faster, solve issues better more effeciently, i just started a new portion of my course and in order to pass we have to work as a team we have to study the material that would be presented in a university level of a year in a month. just 10 of us, one by one not possible except for the smartest of peoples, but as a whole we can delegate sections build teaching aids and help each other gain the knowledge, required to master.

forums work the same way. dont be afraid to experiment, if all else use your dvd or usb re-install, take notes, if you change somthing write it down keep track of modifications, you will only need to do it once i assure you, i have to take notes and write everything down as i have a goldfish memory. (doctors are not always right) build strengths and..... ok thats enough i've digressed a bit there...

thank you for taking the time to read my insanity.
512 KB L2
1 g ram

deviltalk
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8