Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Does my new Linux OS need a Sytem Mechanic

Post your How to's here

Does my new Linux OS need a Sytem Mechanic

Postby wildchildman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:42 am

No. I found this out when I first installed my Utimate Edition 4.2 Lite after running Windows . :downthere

There isn't a need.

The issues that system mechanic deals with for Windows are already solved by default on Linux / Unix and OSX systems.

System health is checked by running any number of GUI tools that come built into GNOME or KDE or from the command line you can type dmesg

Linux computers constantly self monitor and update logs which you can check periodically if you want or in real time using GUI or Text.

Hardware problems are also dumped and sent to log files long before they become a problem... for example... if you run the SMART daemon on your Linux install... it will test the hard drive for you at intervals, and will let you know if the drive is nearing old age predicted failure or if it is going to die even sooner.

For security issues...

Vanilla Spyware does not affect Linux computers

Vanilla Viruses do not affect Linux computers because you have to be duped into installing them or someone has to crack into you computer to install it.

Some Trojans may work but are limited in scope because again you have to be duped into installing them or a cracker has to break into the machine, gain root access and install it.

Most distros, such as SuSE, Mandriva, Ubuntu and Debian, activate firewall services by default and shut down any ports that you will not be using and with this setup 8/10 times if you did a GRC scan you Linux comptuer will be in stealth mode.

Data protection and recovery are built into the EXT3 and ReiserFS file systems that are the standard file systems used on Linux, which also presents a problem to virus coders, since the files system is locked down with a better permission system and can be enhanced with access control lists.

If you choose you can use the IBM or SUN donated file systems (which they use on their server products ) which are enterprise level F systems... blazing fast and highly reliable. JFS and XFS for example.

Linux file systems do not fragment to the point where it affects system performance

The other layer of data security comes with permissions.

As such, you can't move around the file systems or do anything to it if you do not have permission.... which is why old blokes like myself will tell you "never run your comouter on unix/linux/osx as root."

Unlike registry on windows, all configuration files are individualised and kept as text files XML or PLAIN, as such there is a low risk of a cascade level failure if something breaks... as what happens to registry if one section gets currupt.

Overall... aside for clicking the install update icon on your desktop (SuSE or Ubuntu/Kubuntu) ever so often (Linux updates more frequently than windows... microsoft says its because we have more bugs... maybe) you don't have to worry about the mantainance and upkeep of the system.

Let me know if this helped.
Richard K

Asus sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz processor
2 x MSI-R6870-twin-frozr-ii-AMD-Radeon-HD-6870-video-card running crossfire
Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card
4 x 4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2133 memory
OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Main drive
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive ( storage)
LIAN LI PC-D600 computer case
2 x Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 - 850W Power Supply
Completely water cooled by 3 looped systems and a 560 watt peltier cooler
2x2x8" 200w powered sub-woofers
2- mid towers 460w
Behringer Ultragrph Pro equalizer
Behringer Autocom Compressor/Limiter MDX1000
Techni Pro 1500w Amp
wildchildman
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Other Linux

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)