Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

How to set up a touch screen...

Post your How to's here

How to set up a touch screen...

Postby TheeMahn » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:46 pm

I recently bought a 19" Touchscreen monitor which immediatly worked as soon as I plugged in the USB cord, however would only work properly in "Mirror mode". At this point I am not sure if this works with the "Restricted Video Card Drivers" I use an open source cutting edge Xorg driver (the default driver for Ultimate Edition).

I used "Ultimate Edition Multi-Monitor tool" to get it working properly in span or Xinerama mode. I used the following command:

Code: Select all
multi-monitor --scan

Which turned the following and hosed my configuration:
TheeMahn's Multi-monitor script. Please report bugs to TheeMahn <[email protected]>
3 Ports detected and 2 Monitors detected. Enabling 2 monitors(s) and setting default resoultion(s).
Port(s) connected:
HDMI-0
VGA-0
Default resolution(s):
1920x1200 60.0*+
1280x1024 60.0*+ 75.0
Command to be executed: xrandr --output HDMI-0 --auto --output VGA-0 --auto --right-of HDMI-0
If you can read this we were successful. If you would like to make changes permenent please cron this script:
sudo echo "*/1 * * * * theemahn DISPLAY=:0.0 /bin/multi-monitor > ~/mm.log 2>&1 >> /etc/crontab"
theemahn@JackHammer:~$

If I would have had the 19" on the right of the 28" display it would have done perfectly. Ok a little adjustment of the xrandr command that multi-monitor spit out and we are somewhat rocking reversing --right-of to --left-of:
xrandr --output HDMI-0 --auto --output VGA-0 --auto --left-of HDMI-0

At this point touching the touchscreen monitor yeilded undesirable results touching the top of a window on the touch screen would be showing up on the 28" not what we are looking for. A bit of googling and I have now figured out how to calibrate the touchscreen.

First we need the device name:
theemahn@JackHammer:~$ xinput --list
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ http://www.mmff.net.cn Optical-Mouse id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ 3M 3M MicroTouch USB controller id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
http://www.mmff.net.cn Optical-Mouse id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ C-Media USB Headphone Set id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Eee PC WMI hotkeys id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=13 [slave keyboard (3)]
theemahn@JackHammer:~$

The 2 things we are looking to pay attention to is 1: "3M 3M MicroTouch USB controller" and 2: "id=11" now we need to assign those values to xsetwacom in my case the device "3M 3M MicroTouch USB controller" on yours it may vary, however the value to assign it to will be retrieved by multi-monitor tool in my case "VGA-0":
xsetwacom set "3M 3M MicroTouch USB controller" MapToOutput VGA-0
xsetwacom set 11 MapToOutput VGA-0

Immediatly after the second command is entered, my touchscreen works perfectly & both monitors at maximum resolution spanned. I can with one finger drag a window from one monitor to the other also known as Xinerama, unlike the video demonstrates.

Maybe its something I can program into the multi-monitor tool, we will see.
02/17/14: It is done, multi-monitor tool now has preliminary touch screen support.
xrandr ran with no switches will provide a slew of information about both your monitor(s) and supported video resolutions.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Re: How to set up a touch screen...

Postby TheeMahn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:20 am

Xxjoker21xX wrote:Cool I was looking into getting one eventualy it would increase production....

I have recsently purchased a asus gtx550ti which is working perfectly except saying in nvidea control that it 24bit instead of 32 bit ...whats up with the drivers or install that would do that on every 32bit card i got? Says 24bit like its not fully useing the hardware.. :?

Same day I dropped the above post:
02/17/14: It is done, multi-monitor tool now has preliminary touch screen support.

;)

I originally bought the monitor for the quad core droid.
download2.jpeg
top left. My gf got me the box for valentines day.

The touchscreen does not work with it. 24 bit v/s 32 bit the human eye can not see the difference. I really would not sweat the load. Are you using restricted drivers?
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)