Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

How to install the Netflix Desktop

Post your How to's here

How to Install the Netflix Desktop

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu May 02, 2013 1:15 am

Open a Terminal

Add the Repository

Code: Select all
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio

Update your sources

sudo apt-get update

Install

sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Re: How to install the Netflix Desktop

Postby Kvammen » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:39 pm

That doesn't work for me. I cannot find the Netflix Desktop package in my dash :(
Kvammen
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby nascar64 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:11 am

it should work for you too it's in sound & video or open terminal type netflix-desktop that should work for any Linux include Debian linux
I7-2600k at 4200 I3-3300at 3.3gig
Asrock Z77 extreme4 MSI Z77A-gd65
Gskill 4x4-16 gig gskill 2x4-8 gig
Radeon 6850 HD overclock too nvidia gforce 520
750 w -tr2 bronze psu 650 psu
1= 128gig ssd with windows7 1=128gig ssd with windows8.1
1terabyte with LMDE debian UPC7 1 500gig witk Debian kweezx 7.2-osa4linux 13.10= fedora 21 beta= Pinguy 13.04
1-500gig seagate - 1free Agent usb
nascar64
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby billhedrick » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:01 pm

no joy in 3.8
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:13 pm

There may also be some helpful information in some of my rants when I was building this 13.10. I put all that stuff in when I was building this OS and boy does it work like a charm! Only problem I ever have pertains with my connection speed! Those are the breaks when you live in the sticks! I really do not use Netflix as do not have the speed for it, but I have all this installed as I have to use Jet from MS! Using this added part makes it possible for me to just load the system and presto am ready to use Jet just as soon as Firefox configures wine's components! Am hoping what is listed in my rant on building this OS may help you eliminate the problem you are having. Just figured may help as all I ever hope to do is help! Best of Luck and know you will get there! To me, Linux plays video and sound about a hundred times better than Windows does! So, all the hassles you may have are worth it as in the end, the results are awesome!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby billhedrick » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:00 am

Oh it installed. when I click on the netflix-desktop in my sound and video menu,the globe turns for awhile and gives up.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:53 pm

BBOSAK2143 wrote:There may also be some helpful information in some of my rants when I was building this 13.10. I put all that stuff in when I was building this OS and boy does it work like a charm! Only problem I ever have pertains with my connection speed! Those are the breaks when you live in the sticks! I really do not use Netflix as do not have the speed for it, but I have all this installed as I have to use Jet from MS! Using this added part makes it possible for me to just load the system and presto am ready to use Jet just as soon as Firefox configures wine's components! Am hoping what is listed in my rant on building this OS may help you eliminate the problem you are having. Just figured may help as all I ever hope to do is help! Best of Luck and know you will get there! To me, Linux plays video and sound about a hundred times better than Windows does! So, all the hassles you may have are worth it as in the end, the results are awesome!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
It is all I can do to not delete this as I find it to be most unhelpful in every conceivable way. I certainly didn't approve it. Oh, I saw it. I thought....I'll get back to it later. Then the power went out.

So here I am....

I hate promoting that which I can not or really just simply do not want to test.

One day Arrested Development came out with a new season yet I could not watch it on Netflix because..idk really, I was wanting to watch the new season of Arrested Development not fool around with my PC. So I do not have Netflix, so I can not test.

However, I am attentive

When we utilise this ppa for netflix and install, what it is doing is running firefox through wine. Therefore there are variables that must be considered with this that relate to both wine and the installation of desktop. As to "Dash", it is a wine program so it may not always show up here specifically, but it does not matter because we have terminals..this is Linux.

What is somewhat vaguely implied is "Pipelight"..

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipeligh ... linux.html
http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:25 pm

You can run Netflix directly through Google Chrome(Not Chromium) HTML 5. Not that having Wine isn't handy, and there may be use of an agent switch involved(basically, you are spoofing your browser to say it is running on Win). The reason why this is preferable is because the setup through Wine tends to run your CPU extremely high, high enough where you would be better off switching OS.

I have no idea how you would do this on an Ultimate Edition release. I guess..install Chrome?

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2014/10/10/ ... ntu-today/

W.ine I.s N.ot an E.mulator

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:55 pm

Often I moderate while smoking between classes and as a result it is somewhat harder to clarify.

Ultimate Edition 4.2 and 4.3 do not work on my Ideapad but there are two ways to run Netflix if you have Ubuntu and Ubuntu Reps.

This is being ran on Kubuntu 14.04.1 with Kubuntu Backports KDE Full 4.14.2

Netflicked19.png

The first way, you run Firefox through Wine

Netflicked18.png

The second way, you run through Google Chrome

Netflicked15.png

For the first way, it is as described originally.

For the second way you need to install Google Chrome (Not Chromium) and you need to upgrade your system. To be clear I just ran upgrade, not dist-upgrade. It did not work until I upgraded.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)