Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

How to fix Xserver when it won't start

Post your How to's here

How to fix Xserver when it won't start

Postby pcelf » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:58 am

Hi guys and gals,
I was having a problem that my X server wouldn't start anymore and left me with a blank screen and a flashign cursor and nothing else. I found some commands and put them in ascript that worked great for me, YMMV on this one. First of all, you'll hab=ve to uninstall your video driver for this to work. Then make a new text document and rename it reconfigureX.sh. Open it up with vi text editor, and type these commands into the doc. Start it with #!/bin/sh
to look like this:
#!/bin/sh
echo "Reconfiguring Xserver"
rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf
rm -f xorg.conf*
service lightdm stop
service gdm stop
service kdm stop
service lxdm stop
service xdm stop
service wdm stop
Xorg -configure
[ -f xorg.conf* ] && sudo mv xorg.conf* /etc/X11/xorg.conf
dpkg-reconfigure $(dpkg -l | awk '{print $2}' | grep "^xserver" | tr '\n' ' ')
update-initramfs -u

then save. It's probably best to save it in your .gnome2/nautilus-scripts folder.
Boot your system in recovery and then into root. uninstall your video driver then navigate to your home/(user/.gnome2/nautlius-scripts folder and run sudo ./reconfigureX.sh then reboot after it's finished and you should have your desktop back. Hope that helps with your xserver not starting up. :yoodude
https://linuxcounter.net/user/534732.html
Asus M4N72-E MB
AMD Athlon II x2 245 cpu (Dreaming of a Phenom IIx6 1100T cpu)
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5670 1 gb ddr5 ram
Dual 20" HP S2031 lcd monitor 1600x900 res spanned wallpaper
Lg GH24LS50 dvd-rw Lightscribe
Asus DRW-24B1ST dvd-rw
3gb ram
1.5tb Seagate hdd & 500gb WD hdd
generic keyboard and MS 5 button mouse
Ultimate Edition 3.8
kernel 3.0.0-21-generic 32 bit
Ubuntu 10.04
Windoze XP Pro
TRIPLE BOOT
Netgear WNR-3500L router
pcelf
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)