Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Port Fowarding for P2P with NETGEAR Router

Post your How to's here

Port Fowarding for P2P with NETGEAR Router

Postby DaddyX3 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:54 pm

First things first- I'm a 'noob' I'm not a master at networking by any means, heck, I don't even like it! But sometimes it is a must, and getting things to work correctly is frustrating and time consuming. I have written this how-to as a simple guideline and if it doesn't work - then you must have a firewall that is blocking your ports or some other internet security device. After reading this guide, however, you should have a good idea about opening up ports - which do apply to firewalls. You should then go into the settings on your firewall and have no problem setting it up to accept your P2P through the firewall. I will try to write more of these how-to's as I experience new software in Ultimate Edition. Good Luck - I hope this helps!

Install the Azureus, Deluge or Bittornado (there are others also but these are what I'm going to wok with here). The easiest way to install is to use the included Automatix installed with Ultimate Edition under Applications> System Tools > Automatix> File Sharing and tick the check box(s) for the P2P program of your liking and install.
EDIT: 1.6 users - TheeMahn hooked us up already through the new upgrade script... Thank you TheeMahn :!:

1. Once installation has completed you will need to find out the default port that any of the P2P programs you have installed, use.

*** In Azureus - upon installing, it will ask you for some defaults to set up (ie: bandwidth speed, default download folder, ect.) during this process it will specify which port it will use and there will be a "test" button that you can test to see if your ports are opened correctly for P2P sharing. You should leave this screen open and do not continue till you have set up your port forwarding within NETGEAR webAdmin site through your browser. I will continue on this at the end of this how-to.

*** In Deluge - once installed you will need to change the default port number to a higher port number for best performance. I have read quite a few forums that state that the default port number used in Deluge is to low and now ISP's are "shaping" your bandwidth on some common ports used for P2P (ie: robbing you of your bandwidth!) To change from the default port used in Deluge: open Deluge > Edit> Preferences then click on the "Network" tab. Under 'TCP Port' you will see: "Try from:" and "to:" boxes you can enter a port range in. You should enter any number above 45000 into the "Try from:" box and enter the same number that you used into the "to:" box.
example: Try from: 57000 to: 57000
The default port Deluge will now use is the lower of the two #'s you've entered. Write this # down and proceed to -

*** In Bittornado - once installed (although I think its installed by default with Ultimate Edition) Applications> Internet> Bittornado Client> click on a torrent file to start the Bittornado Client GUI > Prefs. You will see at the top right hand side of the Preferences window "Port Range:*" Choose anything over 45000 in the 'From:' box and then enter the same # in the 'to:' box
example: From: 57000 to: 57000
un-tick the "randomize" check box (this will keep you at the same port every time for easy setup in the NETGEAR setup)

2. NETGEAR router setup- check the actual router for your default user name and password to login to the routers webadmin page. By default user name: admin password: password
Open up your web browser of choice and enter your routers IP address (default is 192.168.1.1) in the address bar. This will prompt you for the user name and password to access your NETGEAR web admin site (once again - default user name: admin and password: password). This will open up your routers' setup manager. You will now have to click on Port Forwarding/ Port Triggering link on the left hand side of the page under 'Advanced'. Once you have clicked on the link you will see a new page appear that has Port Forwarding with a selection circle and Port Triggering with a selection circle. Port Forwarding will be ticked by default, below that you will see something of the sort of "Service Name" with a drop down arrow and next to that there will be a section for "server IP address". Below that section you will see a variety of buttons and a table that has '#' Service Name', Start Port', End Port' & Server IP address. You will now want to click on the button labeled "Add Custom Service". You will be presented with a new page - 'Ports- Custom Service':
enter in the boxes:
Service Name: name_of_P2P_program
Service Type: TCP/UDP
Starting Port: enter_port#_from_P2P_program (From:)
Ending Port: enter_port#_from_P2P_program (to:)
Server IP address: enter_the_IP_address_of_your_computer_here (usually .1 higher of routers IP address ex: router:192.168.1.1 your_computer:192.168.1.2 your_second_computer:192.168.1.3 and so on)
click "apply". this will return you to the previous web page -"Port Forwarding/ Port Triggering"
close out web browser.

Now go back to your P2P program and check out your speeds! You should be good to go :D
ps- to all you pro network people out there, please feel free to lend a helping hand with this and info on other brands of routers, I can edit this post anytime and add info as needed. :D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)