Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

How to fix a "failed" dual-boot install with Windows

Post your How to's here

How to fix a "failed" dual-boot install with Windows

Postby drewstew » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:18 am

With a bit of luck, you will install Ultimate Edition beside Windows and have no problems with the bootloader. You may find however that on re-booting you go straight into Ultimate Edition without being presented with the bootloader screen, and on checking your grub.cfg file in the boot folder, there is no mention of Windows in the entry. Neither does doing a "sudo grub-update" find Windows, finding Ultimate Edition and memtest but returning an error on osprober.

There is a very simple fix! Mount the partition housing your Windows installation. I don't pretend to understand why it happens, but you'll find the bootloader has created a folder called "boot", sitting side-by-side with the Windows folder "Boot". Rename or delete this folder, run update-grub again and your Windows installation should be found and written into grub.cfg. Restart, and you should be presented with the bootloader menu allowing you to access both systems.

I'd like to attribute this to the person who originally posted it on a Linux forum, but haven't been able to track down the post again!
Modded Acer Aspire box now with Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard; AMD FX-6100 6-core CPU; 16gb RAM; 1Tb Seagate SATA HDD; Ultimate Edition 3.5 64bit. Dual booting with Windows7 64bit.
drewstew
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: How to fix a "failed" dual-boot install with Windows

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:39 am

glad ya got it all worked out, thanks for taking the time to post a how to for others to benefit from. <BREW> :D
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby diablo10000 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:33 am

drewstew wrote:With a bit of luck, you will install Ultimate Edition beside Windows and have no problems with the bootloader. You may find however that on re-booting you go straight into Ultimate Edition without being presented with the bootloader screen, and on checking your grub.cfg file in the boot folder, there is no mention of Windows in the entry. Neither does doing a "sudo grub-update" find Windows, finding Ultimate Edition and memtest but returning an error on osprober.

There is a very simple fix! Mount the partition housing your Windows installation. I don't pretend to understand why it happens, but you'll find the bootloader has created a folder called "boot", sitting side-by-side with the Windows folder "Boot". Rename or delete this folder, run update-grub again and your Windows installation should be found and written into grub.cfg. Restart, and you should be presented with the bootloader menu allowing you to access both systems.

I'd like to attribute this to the person who originally posted it on a Linux forum, but haven't been able to track down the post again!

what if you've installed Ultimate Edition 3.4 next to win7 and it boots right into win7 with no option, this has happened to me 6 times already. when i goto check my partitions under live usb, there's win7 and UE3.4 sitting side by side, but on boot no option screen, just loads right into win7, any suggestions or links to a dual boot setup step by step would be appreciated. was switching HDDs in bios to change OS', now i'm trying to do it the right way. thanks
diablo10000
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby diablo10000 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:20 pm

i got it workin thanks guys <BREW> <BREW> <BREW>
diablo10000
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)