Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

How I installed without video support

Post your How to's here

How I installed without video support

Postby c0ldfusi0n » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:29 pm

I have had problems getting Ubuntu onto my laptop ever since... well ever... I've always had to use the text based alternate installer because the LiveCD never liked my ATI Mobility x1800. It's been a headache, but I had always found creative ways to get around it.

Once Ultimate Edition 1.6 came out though, I couldn't figure out how to install it. I had gotten Feisty based versions to install before with some force, but i couldn't get this Gutsy version to install for anything! Essentially, once the GDM attempted to start, my monitor would flash over and over again, then finally tell me that GDM couldn't start. Trying to install the ATI drivers in the command line didn't work, no matter how hard I tried... Then it dawned on me... Ultimate Edition has Envy already on the disk! I ran Envy in text mode, and BAM! I got my video drivers to work, and was able to start the GDM... Here is what I did:

CTRL + ALT + F1 to get into the text based terminal (Someone please correct me here if I'm wrong -- I work on Windows based machines all day, and I could be getting this confused...)

First kill any GDM instances that may interfere by typing:
Code: Select all
sudo killall gdm

Then you'll need to update and upgrade:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Say Yes to any Yes/No prompts here. This includes an update to Envy that was required for me. Others may not have to do this.

Then start Envy in text mode:
sudo envy -t

This will display a menu showing the different options for various driver install, and uninstall scripts. Select the appropriate driver install.

Once finished DO NOT REBOOT!! All of these changes are taking place in RAM, and will not survive the reboot. When prompted to reboot, say NO.

Now, try to start the Gnome Desktop by typing:
sudo gdm

If you're lucky like me, you will then boot into the LiveCD and be able to go through the installation. Remember, DO NOT REBOOT until the install has completely finished. I hope this helps someone!

If this post ends up being terribly messy, I would appreciate it if someone with more skill would be able to repost. I've never posted a how to like this before, so it might not be up to standard.

Thanks TheeMahn for this awesome distro!!

No - Thank you c0ldfusi0n I think you did fine ;)
sincerely, DaddyX3
-ps for anybody that wants to read a little more on the subject this post came from HERE
c0ldfusi0n
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)