Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

SSD's in *nix

Post your How to's here

SSD's in *nix

Postby TheeMahn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:08 pm

SSD's or Solid State Drives are the way of the future, let's just accept it. There are negatives to using them, there are also the positives. To me the positives outweigh the negatives.

I recently bought an Adata 32GB SSD to boot and build Ultimate Edition from, when I first installed it and Ultimate Edition 2.6 from a USB stick at the time the boot time was almost unbelievable (working on Ultimate Edition 2.7 at the time of screenshot):

1 X Adata 32 GB SSD (flashed to 1848 firmware):

Min: 198.9 MB/s
Max: 263.7 MB/s
Avg: 223.5 MB/s

Many ppl falsely assume it is the bandwidth that makes them so hard core, it is the seek time and latency. Find me a hard disk with avg access time of .1ms (millisecond). 2 or 3 Velociraptor's in raid 0, would probably not hold a candle. To a single $95 drive (at least what it cost when I bought it). I am not even going to bring up bottlenecks in a system, which is typically the hard disk.

Screenshot

Ultimate Edition 2.6 Boots in 7.6 seconds

O.K. That said, it is no more. I have built literally a 100 O/S's from it since (I am hard on a hard drive, SSD is no exception).
I thought I would come back and post what I have learned with SSD's this is the first of many more I will purchase. SSD's slow down over time, never to the speed of a regular hard disk, but none the less they slow down, a long read, the guy knows what he is talking about. There is only one way to restore the speed and it is not re-installing Ubuntu / Ultimate Edition, this will actually also slow it down.

Even a SSD with trim support will also slow down, yes Trim support is in Karmic / Lucid if your drive supports it (not just a Win7 thing):

Code: Select all
theemahn@SledgeHammer:~$ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda1
[sudo] password for theemahn:

/dev/sda1:

ATA device, with non-removable media
   Model Number:       A-DATA SSD                             
   Serial Number:      0607T3J6B0AA5F4I788T
   Firmware Revision:  FW1848 
Standards:
   Supported: 8 7 6 5
   Likely used: 8
Configuration:
   Logical      max   current
   cylinders   16383   16383
   heads      16   16
   sectors/track   63   63
   --
   CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
   LBA    user addressable sectors:   62533296
   LBA48  user addressable sectors:   62533296
   Logical  Sector size:                   512 bytes
   Physical Sector size:                   512 bytes
   device size with M = 1024*1024:       30533 MBytes
   device size with M = 1000*1000:       32017 MBytes (32 GB)
   cache/buffer size  = unknown
   Nominal Media Rotation Rate: Solid State Device
Capabilities:
   LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
   Queue depth: 32
   Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific minimum
   R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 1   Current = 1
   DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
        Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
   PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
        Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
   Enabled   Supported:
      *   SMART feature set
          Security Mode feature set
      *   Power Management feature set
      *   Write cache
          Look-ahead
      *   Host Protected Area feature set
      *   WRITE_BUFFER command
      *   READ_BUFFER command
      *   DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
          SET_MAX security extension
      *   48-bit Address feature set
      *   Device Configuration Overlay feature set
      *   Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
      *   FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
      *   SMART self-test
      *   General Purpose Logging feature set
      *   Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
      *   Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
      *   Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
      *   Phy event counters
          DMA Setup Auto-Activate optimization
          Device-initiated interface power management
      *   Software settings preservation
      *   Data Set Management determinate TRIM supported
Security:
      supported
   not   enabled
   not   locked
   not   frozen
   not   expired: security count
   not   supported: enhanced erase
Checksum: correct
theemahn@SledgeHammer:~$

Note the * Data Set Management determinate TRIM supported

This slows down this happening, but eventually the end results are the same.

I now see:
Min: 96.9 MB/s
Max: 256.3 MB/s
Avg: 170.2 MB/s

Compare it to my numbers above & will get worse, avg is what we really care about.

What Happened? Read the whole 20+ page article posted above. The real question is how do I fix it...

No, we do not need Windows to fix it. hdparm is a wonderful tool. I do not care if you use Ultimate Edition or Ubuntu just booting a live disk and wiping the drive will restore full speed. I hope you read the full article about SSD's then you would know that you can only do this ~ 10,000 times before errors begin to appear.

I will not take any responsibility if you wreck your SSD (and there is a good chance if you do not follow it to a T), but here is your answer.

I just thought maybe I could help a few ppl out. I typically do not have the time to do so. Please use care & enjoy your new rocket.

Damn, just noticed Newegg home paged my review ;) All SSD's are currently the same they all slow down. Hopefully in the future this will go away. Irregardless, I will never go back to a Hard disk for booting / building again. Raided SSD, maybe. Another tip for you SLC is typically better then MLC depending on the controller / controllers in the SSD, minus longevity.

TheeMahn,
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Re: SSD's in *nix

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:48 pm

We really need a drooling smiley. :lol: I can see there's a lot more reading to be done. Nice of you to share all that info. with us Thee. I'm going to be sure and read your review on newegg too.
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:36 pm

2hot6ft2 wrote:We really need a drooling smiley. :lol: I can see there's a lot more reading to be done. Nice of you to share all that info. with us Thee. I'm going to be sure and read your review on newegg too.
<BREW>

Thanks guy,
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Found it, I am not contra-tour of sorts. However when I search goggle I expect to find this thread ;)

I am resetting a SSD - Goliath's old SSD to drop in his ol ladies machine, understand I know what I refer to. Google get on the ball I know what I am talking when I refer to SSD. Do not let me start a thread for running a O/S out of ram, you guys are at least a year behind me.

It is contra sour right? I now see why, a page I referenced does not exist. Does that mean I restart the process? I swear to you I will show you speed imaginable provided ram sits in your department. 8 GB no longer cuts the mustard, funny I have dropped screenies in the past & cooked the fastest SSD on the planet. Which he bought to replace his slow 450MB/s, hard to compare to 16 GB a sec. I will once again open an eye or 2.

Damn, now I have a job to do again. Ppl get on me asking how I do the things I do, funny no SSD in my machine. Used Goliath's machine to build Ultimate Edition 3.0, only person on the planet to possess it Meister. Yes, this includes me, funny isn't it. Did you know Mr. breeg has a one of it's kind copy of 2.6.1?

I build it they will come. I will be man-napped 7 AM tomorrow, let my admin point out issues. I will not drop shoddy work, please just accept it.

Catch this Goliath said yes, that is correct... But I burnt it for him. What a job I entail ;) He thought there is no way I can chew up 6 cores, well he now knows better. SSD or not crushing speed I seen, now I sit in front of a sled. 16 GB of ram I can utilise any machine handed to me give me a Cray & I will turn it into junk ;)

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)