Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

9.10 karmic GRUB2 boot splash

Post your How to's here

9.10 karmic GRUB2 boot splash

Postby JOHNNYG » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:44 pm

This one was tricky, but I think I simplified it :? :lol: I have included a .tar.gz For your convenience :D as well as a Ultimate Edition 2.5 back ground ! :D for your new boot splash! 8-)

Grub2 boot splash In 9.10 Karmic

you can down load new boot splash images from here, In terminal type or copy and past.

sudo apt-get install grub2-splashimages

(these images are 640x424)
Or use your Own images
Grub2 now supports .tga,.png And .jpeg images and does not support the old grub boot splashs
Command line will install .tga files in /usr/share/images/grub , these images or your images must be put in /boot/grub or /usr/share/images/desktop-base
I recommend /usr/share/images/desktop-base

Step #2
open etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme. And make this line of script

for i in {/boot/grub,/usr/share/images/desktop-base}/moreblue-orbit-grub.{png,tga} ; do
--------

look like this

for i in {/boot/grub,/usr/share/images/grub,/home/drs/mysplash}/moreblue-orbit-grub.{png,tga,jpg,jpeg} ; do
-----------------

To set an image you must edit the line "moreblue-orbit-grub." and insert the name of the image you wish to use. EXAMPLE xsplash.
--------
NOTE : Image name must end in a "PERIOD" "." NOT the file extension

Mine looks like this

for i in {/boot/grub,/usr/share/images/desktop-base}/xsplash.{png,tga,jpg,jpeg} ; do

SET FONT AND HIGHLIGHT COLOR

IMPORTANT : /black is the GRUB 2 default transparency color when listed second. Change only the first color (i.e. xxxxx/black) if using a splash image. If the second value in this line is changed to a color other than black the splash image will be hidden behind a solid color background.

Edit your set color normal and set color highlight to this.

set color_normal=white/black
set color_highlight=light-green/dark-gray

I find these are the optimal settings.

This is how my script looks and works.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/bin/bash -e

source /usr/lib/grub/grub-mkconfig_lib

set_mono_theme()
{
cat << EOF
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/white
EOF
}

# check for usable backgrounds
use_bg=false
if [ "$GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT" = "gfxterm" ] ; then
for i in {/boot/grub,/usr/share/images/desktop-base}/xsplash.{png,tga,jpg,jpeg} ; do
if is_path_readable_by_grub $i ; then
bg=$i
case ${bg} in
*.png) reader=png ;;
*.tga) reader=tga ;;
*.jpg|*.jpeg) reader=jpeg ;;
esac
if test -e /boot/grub/${reader}.mod ; then
echo "Found Debian background: `basename ${bg}`" >&2
use_bg=true
break
fi
fi
done
fi

# set the background if possible
if ${use_bg} ; then
prepare_grub_to_access_device `${grub_probe} --target=device ${bg}`
cat << EOF
insmod ${reader}
if background_image `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root ${bg}` ; then
set color_normal=white/black
set color_highlight=light-green/dark-gray
else
EOF
fi

# otherwise, set a monochromatic theme for Ubuntu
if ${use_bg} ; then
set_mono_theme | sed -e "s/^/ /g"
echo "fi"
else
set_mono_theme
fi

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SET GRUB2 BOOT SCREEN RESOLUTION :

Go to /etc/default/grub.

Edit this line to your desired resolution and save. EXAMPLE : GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768
GRUB2 Defaults to look for 640x480 images
GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

UPDATE GRUB2 :

In terminal type sudo update-grub

when grub starts to update If adding the splash image was successful, the user will see "Found XXXXXXXX IMAGE" in the terminal as the command is executed. If this phrase is not seen, the image information was probably not entered.

open Administration>startup manager>Boot options check "show boot splash" adjust resolution and color depth to 24 then Advanced tab and set resolution

Close all windows and reboot !

The full "How to" can be found here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... 22Grub2%22

Kind of a lot of work, But it does work! May be someone could right a Bootsplash Maker !(someone :?: ) :lol:
Attachments
GRUB2 BOOT SPLASH HOW TO.tar.gz
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
xsplash.jpg
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)