Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

USPLASH MAKER 1.04 revisited !

Post your How to's here

USPLASH MAKER 1.04 revisited !

Postby JOHNNYG » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:19 pm

TUM 1.04 Install Instructions: Simplified ?

- Please read all before starting.

- Hint: you can copy and paste the commands (without the "=>")

- Download the two attached files to your desktop

- Open a terminal (if you don't know how to open a terminal STOP NOW !)

- and type (or copy and past without the "=>")

=> sudo apt-get install libusplash-dev libbogl-dev libc6-dev make gcc

- Close terminal after completion

- go to Home> (click "View" in tool bar, then click "show hidden files") go to .gnome2>nautilus scripts, open

- now, double click make Usplash 1.04.tar.gz on your desktop and open

- drag that file into nautilus scripts and close the window

- open your home folder Places>home right click on the window "create folder"
name it TUM and open it

- now drag the TUM-DATA.tar.gz from your desktop into the TUM folder and close the window

- NOW make a custom Usplash

- I have worked with this application and I'm just going to tell you how I do it,right or wrong it works for me.

- find a wallpaper you like, something not to crazy as the usplash is limited, to 256 colours and a 1024X768 resolution works best

- put the wallpaper you want to have as a usplash on your desktop,

- Right click, go to scripts and click on make usplash 1.04

- some prep box's will come up click OK on the first on the 2nd make sure all resolutions are checked click OK, you should see some folders and such on your desktop and the usplash maker box's poping up with the diffrent resolutions, after usplash is complete a .so file should be on your desktop.

- Open startup-manager >system>startup-manager click manage usplash themes
- Click "add"a new window will open, click, >file system>home>username>desktop double click your .so file it will now be in your startup manager,close the little box, click usplash theme bar and choose your new usplash,and close startup manager

- let it finish

- now test your new usplash

- Open a terminal and type (or copy and past with out the "=>")

=> sudo usplash -c

- If all goes as planed your new usplash should appear

- To get back to your desktop press super or windoze key(the key between ctrl and alt) and F7 so, super+F7

- you can now save or delete .so and make usplash files and save (if you already haven't) your wallpaper pic.

NOTE: The usplashs that you might ONLY work on the rig that they are built on, they may not be transferable, at least I have not been able to use them on my other rigs (I'm not saying don't try,I have had no luck),as a side note if you have to reload you operating system and have backed up your usplashs they won't work ether! Iknowthis!!

NOTE: You should be able to "drag" the files into there folder without root permissions, how ever in the event the system won't let you do this;
- in a terminal type (or copy and past with out the "=>")

=> gksudo nautilus

- This will open a new "root" window and then just follow the above instructions,remember that command if your having permission problems it's a great help!

- NOW THE FUN PART

you can place the progress bar any where you want! to better accommodate your picture

- Open your TUM folder
- Open the TUM.tar.gz
- Open the workinprogress folder
- Open the usplash-theme-ubuntu.c
- Scroll down till you find the resolution you use
- example: is 1024X768

- EXAMPLE
struct usplash_theme usplash_theme_1024_768 = {
.version = THEME_VERSION,
.next = &usplash_theme_1280_1024,
.ratio = USPLASH_4_3,

/* Background and font */
.pixmap = &pixmap_usplash_1024_768,
.font = &font_helvB10,

/* Palette indexes */
.background = 0,
.progressbar_background = 7,
.progressbar_foreground = 50,
.text_background = 0,
.text_foreground = 100,
.text_success = 100,
.text_failure = 120,

/* Progress bar position and size in pixels */
:arrow: .progressbar_x = 675, /* 1024/2 - 216/2 */
:arrow: .progressbar_y = 15,
.progressbar_width = 230,
.progressbar_height = 15,

/* Functions */
.init = t_init,
.clear_progressbar = t_clear_progressbar_1024_768,
.draw_progressbar = t_draw_progressbar_1024_768,
.animate_step = t_animate_step_1024_768,

- The progress bar_X and_Y values after the "=" change the placement of the throbber _X = 675 and _y = 15 puts the throbber at the upper right side,this is one of my settings and is the default of the TUM usplash maker I have provided this is for a 1024X768 resolution and the following is also for a 1024X768 resolution,if you use another resolution you will have to experiment a little. The original throbber is slightly lower than middle,in the center of the screen (didn't like it!)it gets in the way! so now i will give you some of the settings that I use! AGAIN these are for a 1024X768 res.

- _X is left or right 800 is farthest right and 40 is the farthest left that I have gone and these put it close to ether edge
- so _X high #s move right lower #s move left

- _Y is up or down 650 is the lowest I have gone and 15 the highest
- So the higher the #s the lower the throbber
- the lower the #s the throbber goes up

- Try these

- _X @ 400 and _Y @ 350 puts the throbber in about the middle of the screen
- _X @ 400 and _Y @ 650 puts the throbber at bottom middle
- _X @ 400 and _Y @ 15 puts the throbber at top middle
- _X @ 800 and _Y @ 15 puts the throbber at top right
- _X @ 40 and _Y @ 15 puts the throbber top left

- If you use another resolution you will have to experiment with the the values
- If you do use this on other resolutions and you come up with some good settings please post them so others may benefit and I will add them to my posts as well, with you to credits

- After making any changes click save and close the windows

- It is best to write down your settings and where the throbber is placed for future referance

- Again these are settings I use on a 1024X768 resolution

- go ahead and experiment with the placement

NOTE: Default throbber color is white with a black background and can't be changed via the script.

NOTE: The original instructions and files can be found @ viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1767&start=0

Thanks red team! <BREW>

(I have modified this by removing the dialogue box and moving the throbber if you have to down load the above link files you will have a black dialog box in your usplash, to remove dialogue box; you have to open the TUM data.tar.gz,open workinprogress folder,open usplash-theme-ubuntu.c. scroll down till you see "text box and text details" left click and drag (I do it from bottom to top) to just below "progress bar_height" and delete,be sure to leave a space between "progress_bar and */functions" do this for all resolutions , and hit save , and the next time you use usplash maker 1.04 the box will be gone!)

- I think I covered it all,at least I hope so, if you should find any flaws let me know,....or just blame it on global warming or something !
HAVE FUN ! :D <BREW>
Attachments
Make Usplash 1.04.tar.gz
(3.53 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
TUM-DATA.tar.gz
(11.1 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Last edited by JOHNNYG on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: USPLASH MAKER 1.04 revisited !

Postby red_team316 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:24 pm

It's always good to have someone else provide an alternate explanation of how to do it. It appears that you've become somewhat familiar with the code. Are you a C programmer? If you have any ideas for improvements, spill it :)

I've been quite busy with work, other projects and RL. There have been plans and bits of work done here and there on a new version of TUM, but it's been in a dormant state since Plymouth has surfaced, although since Ubuntu didn't adopt it for Karmic, they may decide to stay with Usplash(a bad decision imo). I've done a little work on a Plymouth bootsplash maker, but it too has been dormant since the API/ABI keeps changing at such a fast rate, I've decided at the moment to hold off on both until plymouth stabilizes some so that my code wont be obsoleted within a week lol or Ubuntu states that it will definitely not retire usplash.

A correction: Usplash can support up to 256 colors(8-bit). Windows XP and previous versions use 16 colors(4-bit). Can't remember atm but I think GRUB is limited to 4-bit colors.
A correction: Usplashes are transferrable to other rigs assuming that the architecture(x86 vs x86_64) is the same as well as the version of Usplash is installed(Dapper v1, Edgy-Hardy v2, Intrepid+ v3) is the same.
A correction: The throbber can colors be changed(via GIMP or another image prog), but you'll want to keep the image sizes the same or else I'm positive you'll end up with something you didn't intend. TUM will do the proper paletting for you, but it wont neccessarily do the fine tuning of individual pixel colors. If you use 8-bit paletted images to start with that all use the same color palette for each image, you will know exactly what your usplash will look like in the final composition.
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: USPLASH MAKER 1.04 revisited !

Postby JOHNNYG » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:01 am

First let me begin by saying I am honored, to even have the opportunity and or to have the chance to converse with anyone affiliated with this project,I have the utmost respect for all the people that make all of opensorce possible and all the work and effort that theemahn and the rest of the team put in to making ultimate edition the best damn o/s on the planet ! :D That said ,no ,I am no programmer far from it ,hell seven years ago it was all I could do to operate a calculator ! :lol: but once the bug bits and you get hooked !I started playing with different flavors of linux, liking buntu the best but didn't like the "cartoon" look; then one day, I saw screen shots of ultimate edition 2.1 and said "this I got'a try ",and it just so happed I had just finished a 64bit rig, she was sitti'n there empty so I downloaded and installed 2.1 with the 2.2 theme (this was in January) and I havn't stopped since ! I love that you can do just about anything to customize buntu ,and I was finding out how do all of this stuff,grub splash,sounds ,and I was trying to make my own usplash ,wading thru all all the teckie stuff AARRGG! and then I found TUM 1.04 the page at first was a little over board for me , there was all this stuff and I just didn't know where to start, so I let it go ,but kept coming back finally ,after awhile ,I got it worked out ,and said hey "there's only 3 steps to this"!! YA FREGIN HOO! ,now I can install it in my sleep! and I thought maybe a short "how to", ya know just the basics to get going so after playing around a bit I just put the basics together as to how I did it in hopes that it wouldn't be as intimidating to look at , you had a great idea,and it should be used it's a real treat to put something together and watch it actually work,after posting here first(giving everyone in ultimate land first crack at me) :lol: I then posted it at http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show. ... ent=108063 and now have 1 good comment and 1 fan and at this post 83 downloads,not bad for the time its been posted,I have made corrections to my post (as I missed some things in profiing!) and added your corrections to my posts,thanks for the info its a great inspiration to hear from the guru himself!I will have to delve into TUM little further, I thought that the throbber was white because white is neutral and in all the color pallets ,I tried to change the color in the script and nothing happed so I thought it was just that way,I am new and sill very green !,and I have had no luck in reusing the .so after a reinstall of U/E on the same machine or in transfer to another of the same architecture, more than likely something I am doing wrong! :) I will keep experimenting with TUM and usplash until plymouth comes out, which is something I am concerned about I don't like the fact that plymouth is integrated into the initrd , this lends itself to a possible no boot situation if tampered with, NO? anyway who am I , maybe revamping usplash into a user friendly gui would be an option !and gdm gui ! or how about a program gui that has the grub, splash gdm and usplash all rolled into one! It could be integrated into the gimp as a plug in or something! or a stand alone with gimp options ! just a thought! anyway thanks for taking the time to comment and update me ! it is greatly appreciated ! and any other tid-bits or how to's are very welcome!; as I have no lack of enthusiasm ,It is the direct knowledge base I lack !
THANKS AGAIN !!!
once again red_team316 comes through ! <BREW>
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)