Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

POST QUESTIONS/COMMENTS ON THE DEBIAN INSTALL GUIDE HERE

Post your How to's here

Re: POST QUESTIONS/COMMENTS ON THE DEBIAN INSTALL GUIDE HERE

Postby pch.shot » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:27 am

A little tip on using your bios to boot into different operating systems and by passing grub altogether.
Install each operating system separately on each hard drive with only one hard drive plugged in at a time.
Once you have all your systems installed hook back up all your hard drives and then use your bios to boot into the operating system of your choice. No more grub errors. It takes a little longer, but is much safer. When you decide to change operating systems just go through the procedure again.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby drama » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:44 pm

pch.shot wrote:A little tip on using your bios to boot into different operating systems and by passing grub altogether.
Install each operating system separately on each hard drive with only one hard drive plugged in at a time.
Once you have all your systems installed hook back up all your hard drives and then use your bios to boot into the operating system of your choice. No more grub errors. It takes a little longer, but is much safer. When you decide to change operating systems just go through the procedure again.

Thats exactly what i did. Although i didnt actually unplug anything. I just went into the bios and disabled the primary ide channel (where my windows drive is) and the sata controller (where my data/storage/backup drive is connected). Then i used my usb hard drive to install debian on. Still gives that darn error2 though. I think i just have a buggy bios. Hitting esc and selecting the usb drive from the bios boot menu allows me to boot fine everytime though so its not too big of a deal. After i finally figured out i could just boot it fine from the bios boot menu it was like "duh...why didnt i think of that before". Before that i had been trying for like 3 days to get it to boot and happened to hit esc one day by mistake (had meant to hit F1 to get into the bios) and just highlighted the usb drive and to my amazement it booted fine. I knew the bios boot menu was there by using the esc key just never thought of trying it that way.

SaddleTramp wrote:
drama wrote:
SaddleTramp wrote:Well I be ...Different look, but it's the same setup in Jaunty. What you got there is all I need and then I can install the desktop and the setup you show in the pics and I'll be set...yeah, I've got to thumb drives (just bought an 8GB one today)...Thanks drama..I didn't go looking into sid (it's not recommended by anyone unless you're a developer or like living "extremely" on the edge!! LOL... besides the pkgs you're showing in your pic, I know it (Jaunty) also draws info from the 'mobile-broadband-provider-info' pkg...I didn't see that in the 'stable' pkg lists, but that may be in the sid too...when you click on "add" (in Jaunty), a list of providers (alltel, at&t, verizon, etc...) comes up ...

I dont recommend sid as a whole either. I used it once. That lasted a whole 2 weeks before i scrapped it. Way too many bugs for my taste. I do pull packages from there sometimes though when needed. But i mostly stick with testing.

Still working on the network-manager thing. I didnt realize there would be so many deps for what "seems" like a relatively small app. i think im about 3/4 of the way tehre though. Spent a few hours trying to compile it first. EPIC FAIL! Thats all i can say about that one. I know next to squat about building packages from source not to mention the fact that network-manager-applet is supposed to provide a few different packages from what i gathered from the debian source page but it dont do it automatically...only does one. Unless im just plain doin it wrong.

As for that mobile-broadband-provider-info package that isnt in debian anywhere. Im not sure how complicated it really is but that may...and i use the word may very loosely...be something i can compile.

I'm off to catch some sleep though. Ill keep you posted.
...Provider pkg not a problem...
gnome-system-tools_2.22.1-2_amd64.deb
gnome-system-tools
(4.04 MiB) Downloaded 365 times
...in your Debian installation in your pics, if you click on add and then see a list of cellphone providers, then the pkg is there, otherwise, Debian is somehow doing it a different way...

I tried adding the ubuntu package and it didnt work. All that happens when hit add is the option for either a new gsm or cdma connection. Its actually more than just mobile-broadband-provider-info that provides that ability though. mobile-broadband-provider-info is the "backend" and then libmbca is the frontend. libmbca is what actually provides the "wizard". Basically like how firestarter is a frontend to iptables. The problem is libmbca has a few dependancies that arent in debian. Not even in sid. libgtk2.0 being one of them. Yes libgtk2.0 is in debian but its like 1 or 2 revisions older than what the requirement is. I suppose could track down the deps for the libgtk2.0 version it requires and just use the libgtk from ubuntu but im not even sure that would work and could very easily break something since that is a rather important package and ubuntu has a habit of making sure the majority of they're packages aren't debian compatable. Yes they originally pull from debian repos but ubuntu packages for the most part are heavily modified from the original debian package. I even tried to compile them against the versions that are in debian but the ubuntu sorce files have no configure file so ./configure doesnt work. There is a configure.ac file but i cant figure out how to use it. I tried ./configure.ac but it didnt do anything.

SaddleTramp wrote:I sincerely appreciate all the work you're going thru to help me figure this out, but I don't mean for you to get yourself a headache about it...it may take me a little longer to get it figured out myself, but I'll eventually get there...at least you've shown me that it is there, just a matter of figuring out which way to get it to install on mine....don't let it hold you up finishing the "How-to"...that's needed more than this connection thing with me...

No headache really. Actually its be sort of a learning experience for me. I learned some of the basics of compiling from source. Although the package didn't work i did learn what the commands are. Before i knew nothing about it. I mean yea ive built the ati driver packages before but that is just a matter of executing the build script. Doesnt involve using ./configure, make, make checkinstall. Learned some aptitude commands i didn't know about mainly the -d switch (downloads the needed packages including deps but dont install them). Learned how to setup a local repo. Learned where aptitude stores the downloaded packages. Learned how to make a "packages.gz" file (basically just and index). I love gaining knowledge but had it not been for this i most likely wouldn't have learned these things as i didn't exactly had a big need for them until now.

As far as the howto its on hold temporarily anyway. As part of it i want to show how to make mysql work with amarok (took the idea from one of thee's guides). But the version of mysql in testing is severly crippled (adding now users fails) and the version from sid fixes it but im waiting for it to be moved to testing (scheduled to be moved friday).

As for the network manager issue. I have found the solution and tested it 3 times (twice in a vm and once in a real environment). However this is what it requires (full instructions below) Downloading a series of files in tar.gz format (named by what they do). They are pre-upgrade, upgrade, xserver, gnome-core, gdm-iceweasel (this one isnt mandatory but i made it anyway), nm-testing and finally nm-unstable. Basically the only way to get it to work properly is to in the end upgrade totally to testing. Each tar.gz basically just has the .debs including deps to preform that step and a Packages.gz file (packages.gz is there so we can just use apt-get). Just under 500mb total that has to be downloaded but the process is perfect. If you want to do it here is the process

First since im not sure what all you had added i would suggest a reinstall. Now this may not be totally nesseccary but i would advise it. That is the only way i can be 99% sure the process with work. You should be able to use dvd1 though since you already grabbed that. But when it get to the step where it asks about installing software deselect DESKTOP. Actually deselect everything but standard.

These are the files you will need:

pre-upgrade Size:100mb

upgrade Size:54mb

xserver Size:53mb

gnome-core Size:190mb

gdm-icewease This one is optional it just contains the gdm packages and deps as well as iceweasel (firefox). Size: 10mb

nm-testing Size:24mb

nm-unstable Size:4mb

Might wanna grab these two as well

gnome-system-tools

gnome-network-admin_2.22.1-2_amd64.deb
gnome-network-admin
(357.18 KiB) Downloaded 377 times

All of these except for pre-upgrade and nm-unstable have packages from testing (this is what i run).

Download all of those first in Ultimate Edition. And extract them. Don't extract the individual .debs though. Just the folder (we want to leave the .debs in the original folders). Then put them on a usb stick. I would make a folder named "debian" and place all the extracted folders inside of it, then copy that to the usb stick, so we have debian, and then inside of that we have: pre-upgrade, upgrade, xserver, etc... etc. Also put gnome-system-tools_2.22.1-2_amd64.deb and gnome-network-admin_2.22.1-2_amd64.deb in that debian folder.

Debian has no support for ntfs by default, so i suggest making sure the usb stick is either formatted with fat32 or ext3 (I used fat32).

Now boot the dvd and run it as normal, but only select "standard system".

After the system is installed and boots for the first time, this is what we will do:

Login with your username and pass. Then become root

Code: Select all
su -

Enter the root pass.

Now we will make a few directories and copy over the folders that have our packages in them.

We will be putting our needed folders under /usr/downloads

mkdir /usr/downloads

Now make a folder to mount our usb stick

mkdir /mnt/external

Now we will mount our usb stick, but we need to find out where it is

fdisk -l

Mine was /dev/sdb4

Now we mount it

mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt/external

Replace "sdb4" with the actual partition/result from fdisk -l

Now we will copy that WHOLE debian folder that has all our sub-folders that we downloaded and extracted earlier

cp -R /mnt/external/debian /usr/downloads/

This may take a few minutes. When its done you will be dropped back to the command prompt.

We are done with the usb stick so we can unmount it now

umount /dev/sdb4

Replace "sdb4" with the actual partition.

Now we will add the folders that contain our .debs and package.gz files to our sources.list. But we won't add them all at once. We add the one for the step we are on. First we want to comment out everything though.

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Place a # in front of every line. Then save it by pressing ctrl+O (captial O not zero), then hit ctrl+x to exit the editor.

Now we will add the needed line for our pre-upgrade step (these are just packages that are needed prior to upgrading to testing. You may not need these. but its not a bad idea to install them anyway just to be sure its successful (better safe than sorry). To do this we run the following command

Part 1: pre-upgrade

echo "deb file:/usr/downloads/debian/pre-upgrade ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Now we update the package list

aptitude update

Now we have to do the install of those packages in 2 steps

aptitude safe-upgrade

This will install 4 packages An updated kernel is among them.

Then reboot

shutdown now -r

When the system comes back up, login with your username and pass. then become root

su -

Then enter the root password.

Now the only way i have found to install the remaining packages is using dpkg (kinda dirty but i cant figure out any other way). This is the only time we need to use dpkg though.

cd to the directory

cd /usr/downloads/debian/pre-upgrade

Now issue the command to install every .deb in that folder

dpkg -i *.deb

We use *.deb so we don't have to type the name of every package.

After all those are installed we reboot.

shutdown now -r

Part 2: upgrade to testing

When the system comes back up login with your username and pass, then become root

su -

Now we add the line to our sources.list to preform an upgrade from lenny to testing.

echo "deb file:/usr/downloads/debian/upgrade ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

aptitude update

Now we initiate the upgrade

aptitude safe-upgrade

After that is done we will reboot

shutdown now -r

Part 3: install xserver

When the system comes back up login with your username and pass, then become root

su -

Now we add the line to our sources.list to install the xserver.

echo "deb file:/usr/downloads/debian/xserver ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

aptitude update

Now we install the xserver

aptitude install xorg xserver-xorg-core xorg-docs xserver-xorg

shutdown now -r

Part 4: install gnome-core

When the system comes back up login with your username and pass. then become root

su -

Now we add the line to our sources.list to install gnome-core (just the core of gnome).

echo "deb file:/usr/downloads/debian/gnome-core ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

aptitude update

Now we install gnome-core

aptitude install gnome-core

shutdown now -r

OPTIONAL Part 5: install gdm and iceweasel

When the system comes back up login with your username and pass. then become root

su -

Now we add the line to our sources.list to install gdm and iceweasel

echo "deb file:/usr/downloads/debian/gdm-iceweasel ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

aptitude update

Now we install gdm and iceweasel

aptitude install gdm iceweasel

shutdown now -r

Part 6: install the network monitor and deps from testing

Now the reason why we are doing this way (installing nm from testing then from unstable) is so in the end we have pulled as few packages from unstable as possible. We get the majority of the deps from testing.

NOTE: IF YOU INSTALLED PART5 ABOVE, THEN YOU WILL BOOT INTO THE DESKTOP. PRESS CTRL+ALT F1, THIS WILL PUT YOU IN TERMINAL ENTRY. (CONTINUED BELOW)

su -

NOTE: (CONTINUED FROM ABOVE) NOW WE NEED TO STOP THE XSERVER (GDM). TO DO THIS, TYPE
/etc/init.d/gdm stop

Now we add the line to our sources.list to install nm from testing

echo "deb file:/usr/downloads/debian/nm-testing ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

aptitude update

Now we install nm from testing

aptitude install network-manager pcscd wpagui pcmciautils wireless-tools

shutdown now -r

Part 7: install the network monitor and remaining deps from unstable

su -

Now the first thing we will do is remove all the previous lines we added to our sources.list (just to make sure they don't interfere)

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Comment out EVERYTHING in this file. Now hit ctrl+O (capital o not zero) to save it. Now hit ctrl+x to exit the editor.

Now we add the line to our sources.list to install nm from unstable

echo "deb file:/usr/downloads/debian/nm-unstable ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

aptitude update

Now we install nm from unstable

apt-get install network-manager pcscd wpagui pcmciautils wireless-tools avahi-autoipd network-manager-pptp-gnome

Note: we use apt-get this time because otherwise aptitude wants to remove some things that were auto installed. It thinks we don't need them. We will fix that later though.

shutdown now -r

OMIT
Part 8: fix aptitude thinking it needs to remove crap as mentioned earlier

su -

To fix the issue with aptitude run the following command

CONTINUE WITH INSTALLATION

aptitude keep-all

Optional: add gnome-system-tools and gnome-network-admin

These probably aren't mandatory but i added them just in case (also posted above)

gnome-system-tools

gnome-network-admin_2.22.1-2_amd64.deb
gnome-network-admin
(357.18 KiB) Downloaded 377 times

Now install them

cd /usr/downloads/debian

dpkg -i gnome-system-tools_2.22.1-2_amd64.deb gnome-network-admin_2.22.1-2_amd64.deb

Reboot one final time

shutdown now -r

Optional final steps

su -

Setup sudo so you don't have to use su - anymore (u don't need to do this but it makes things easier...remember you cant use gedit as su - but you can as sudo)

nano /etc/sudoers

You will be presented with a file like this

# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

Defaults env_reset

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
# %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

We want to make it look like this

# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

Defaults env_reset

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
yourusername ALL=(ALL) ALL
# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
# %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

Look at the part in RED

Of course replacing "yourusername" with your actual username. Then add a space below it. Now save it by pressing ctrl+O and exit the editor by pressing ctrl+x.

Then run the exit command to get back to a standard user

exit

Optional step

Now the network-manager should be up in the notification area but just in case it isn't this is what i would do. First check system--->preferences--->sessions

Make sure the network manager is listed. If it isnt add it. This is the command to use in sessions when adding it

nm-applet --sm-disable

If it is listed then launch it using the command in the terminal

sudo nm-applet --sm-disable

After issuing that command it should pop up there. If you ever notice a red x over it that doesn't necessarily mean you have no connection. For some reason it doesn't always show the correct "state".

That is the best i can do for you. As far as actually setting up the connection for your wireless i really cant help there. Ive only ever used a wired connection.

If you have any problems with this little guide let me know. The process isnt as long as it looks though. Takes about 20-30 mins from basic command line system to finished.

PS: Before i forget. After you have a network connection this is what you need to make your sources.list look like

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib non-free
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib non-free
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:11 pm

You should be working for Debian, buddy.........................
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby SaddleTramp » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:07 am

pch.shot wrote:You should be working for Debian, buddy.........................

No freakin' doubt!!! LOL. Drama man, I definitely did not mean for you to go thru so much trouble for this. You've totally written a complete How-to on installing this connection deal...I can assure you, that anyone wanting to try Debian that's using a modem similar to what I've got is going to sincerely appreciate all the work you've poored into this...Thanks again bro'. I'll be workin' on getting all this installed and getting to the 'net thru Debian...For others viewing this thread: Where else are you gonna go and find someone willing to go these lengths to help someone out?? Nowhere but here at Ultimate Edition Forums!!
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Uffe » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:07 am

Where else are you gonna go and find someone willing to go these lengths to help someone out?? Nowhere but here at Ultimate Edition Forums!!

No doubt- It is indeed a very special forum <BREW>
Uffe

Ubuntu minimal w/ Mate desktop 64bit
Asrock N68-GE3 UCC - AMD X4 640 - 4 Gb Kingston ram
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 60 Gb + 500 Gb WD sATA HD

Ultimate Edition 2.9 64bit
Asrock 2core 1333-2.66G - 2 Gb Kingston ram
750 Gb Samsung WD sATA HD
Plextor DVD-RW - Asus 24" fladskærm

If your Danish, try http://www.linux-abc.dk to share your knowledge and questions
Uffe

Postby tuxsax » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:57 am

And to think that all this started by me inocently asking drama about writing down a "littie how-to" for debian install on a slow machine.
I'm sorry if I got you into trouble!! Now it seems you're overloaded with a lot of people wanting for more!!!
You're doing a great job!!!
Thanks a lot!
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby drama » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:03 pm

Nah im not "eliet" enough for them. Well i guess i really cant speak too much for ALL the devs. I have only had to have contact with debian devs a few times. They were ok for the most part. One of them was a complete a$$hole though. They're forum mods and admins on the other had appear to me as very "elietist". Always comin off with that whole "rtfm" sh*t or "google it" or "well if you cant figure it out go back to m$ or ubuntu you noob". Almost as bad if not worse than gentoo users sometimes. I d on't think i fit the job discription honestly. Yes i have had a few good experiences with they're forum but most of them just left a sour taste in my mouth.

SaddleTramp wrote:

No freakin' doubt!!! LOL. Drama man, I definitely did not mean for you to go thru so much trouble for this. You've totally written a complete How-to on installing this connection deal...I can assure you, that anyone wanting to try Debian that's using a modem similar to what I've got is going to sincerely appreciate all the work you've poored into this...Thanks again bro'. I'll be workin' on getting all this installed and getting to the 'net thru Debian...For others viewing this thread: Where else are you gonna go and find someone willing to go these lengths to help someone out?? Nowhere but here at Ultimate Edition Forums!!

No worries. I enjoy solving peoples issues or at least trying help them find a solution when i can. I remember back when thee and cowboy moved to ati for graphics. Nobody could get the drivers to compile correctly. So i stripped the file all the way down from ati (using --extract) went through every single file and every line of source code until i found out the the problem. Now that was a royal pain in the a$$ compaired to this. But once i seen the problem i couldnt believe that the debian/ubuntu maintainer that wrote the build script for ati to include (ati doesnt write this part)

Btw this was the part that was screwed up in the packaging script

dpkg-divert --add --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1 > /dev/null

Does anyone see a problem with the above line? Just curious if anyone can spot it.

Any back to what i was saying. I just enjoy solving other peoples issues. Once i figured out that "-d" switch for aptitude, where the downloaded packages were stored and the command to make the packages.gz files the rest was smooth sailing. At first i was just going to browse the debian packages website to get everything and had actually started to until i stumbled upon a howto for updating without a network connection then it was like this lightbulb went off in my head and was like "hey i got a perfect idea" so i grabbed everything using the -d switch made the packages.gz moved everything to a usbstick. Started a new vm install and tested it. Tbh once i got the idea it actually took less time to grab everything and test it and write the howto than it did to upload the tar.gz files to my webhost (my upstream sucks balls).

Your very welcome though. Hope it does the trick for you. <BREW>

tuxsax wrote:And to think that all this started by me inocently asking drama about writing down a "littie how-to" for debian install on a slow machine.
I'm sorry if I got you into trouble!! Now it seems you're overloaded with a lot of people wanting for more!!!
You're doing a great job!!!
Thanks a lot!

No need to be sorry bro. No trouble at all. Im actually glad you asked becasue if you had not asked then saddletramp wouldnt have had the issue he had which in turn means i wouldnt have learnt what i did throughout the process. After i started writing the howto that is when i got the idea to turn it into a full blown tutorial/little book. In the end it will have sections for slower computers but also sections for quicker ones. As well as sections that are pertaining to I386 and x64 where needed. I think it will turn out to be a great asset to the community and ANYONE that wants to give debian a try. All thanks to your idea. Thanks for the idea been in need of a new project for awhile now.

Its just gnome right now but that section is nearly finished after that ill move onto xfce and enlightment (2 things ive never used before so that will be another learning experience) and lastly kde.
Antec 900two case
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby SaddleTramp » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:47 am

Internet Connection for USB Broadband Wireless Devices (i.e. USB modem sticks) tested, confirmed, WORKS!!!!!! Dam good job Drama!!! Followed all the way thru (including options) and all went without a hitch....You can mark this one a Done Deal!! <BREW> <BREW>
I'm There!!!.png
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby drama » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:11 am

Well thats great news saddletramp. Glad that worked for you. Just out of curiosity though. Did the network connection just automatically work after preforming the steps and installing the packages i gave or was there any extra configuration needed?

Btw you can prob remove the files we downloaded and moved to debian now too.

rm -R /usr/downloads

Also since i dont have nvidia graphics and i noticed you do. Would you be interested in helping me with the portion of the guide pertaining to that? I have a set of directions laying around somewhere (will have to dig them up) that are rumored to work i just cant verify them.
Antec 900two case
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby SaddleTramp » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:41 am

drama wrote:Well thats great news saddletramp. Glad that worked for you. Just out of curiosity though. Did the network connection just automatically work after preforming the steps and installing the packages i gave or was there any extra configuration needed?
It was automatic...no other steps needed...

drama wrote:Btw you can prob remove the files we downloaded and moved to debian now too.

rm -R /usr/downloads

Also since i dont have nvidia graphics and i noticed you do. Would you be interested in helping me with the portion of the guide pertaining to that? I have a set of directions laying around somewhere (will have to dig them up) that are rumored to work i just cant verify them.
Will be glad too...I just downloaded the 180.44 drivers from nVidia and will be installing them later today...tell ya what, if you got another part you're working on, go ahead and do that, and I'll take care of the nVidia drivers for ya (of course I'll come to you if something doesn't work just right), but I don't think there's going to be a problem with it...the directions on the nVidia site are fairly simple..only hangup I can see would be the header config nVidia does during the install...I'll let ya know as soon as I get'er done......Gotta go see a fella about clearing a little land and moving some dirt..shouldn't be gone to long...
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

PreviousNext

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)