Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Setting up seperate partitions for root, /home, /media

Post your How to's here

Setting up seperate partitions for root, /home, /media

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:59 am

*** Why, you ask? You may not be aware of the fact that if you run out of disk space because of a small disc install, or just used to Winblows, because of trying to stuff your drive with all kinds of goodies, you'll not be able to get back into GNOME without some sort of headache that no one wants to have to deal with. This happens when your /home folder is on the same partition as your root partition, and you accidentally over pack your drive.

EDIT!: I have to stop you here and make it a point to explain to you the importance of using an appropriate partition to download and install large files to (or any files from the net for that matter). For example: Following the steps in this tutorial - you create a seperate partition called /boogers. When using a torrent client (like Azureus) and downloading large files, make sure you set its default download file location to /boogers. Just a warning! Its easy to go to sleep and wake up without the ability to reboot your computer and get into your desktop when its over packed :!:

I'll be walking you through the steps to install Ultimate Edition, using Gparted and the disk partition tool from the installer to create separate /, /home and if interested a separate /media partition you can install your precious pictures, home movies, ect. to.
Just a note: There might be some redundancy involved in my process (like the whole Gparted section), but this is how I like to roll. I like to take a few extra steps, and start from a super clean disk. It also makes things a little simpler when you get to the install section. The last option of having a seperate /media folder does not have to be called media it could be called /movies or /personal or whatever you like. Using the /media folder only creates a "large" folder that by default is where your other drives are mounted to, so basically a good spot to create other folders within it - for a one stop spot access to everything on all drives.

If you have already installed Ultimate Edition to your drive and would like to add your /home directory to a freshly created /home partition - Please look at this How-TO

STEP
1. Boot from your installation disk (you may need to set up BIOS to boot from your optical drive first- but is usually default)
2. Once in GNOME, click the cancell button when it asks about installing any flash drivers, video drivers, ect. - this will all have to be done after the install is complete in order to be saved to disk. Then go to: System>>Administration>>GNOME Partition Editor
3. This step could be as complicated as you wish ;) , but for this How-To I'll be working off the principle of a single Ultimate Edition distro per hard drive installed. Once in GParted (GNOME Partition Editor) you should see a display of your currently loaded disk and its partitions (if any). You can use the drop down menu on the upper right corner of the window to display a different disk. You should be aware of the identity of the disk you want to intall to. I'm going to use a tiny-20GiB hard drive for this example, as shown below:
ntfs20GiB.png

4. We are going to delete all partitions from the disk by right clicking the partition on the graphical display and
selecting>>delete partition. You will then need to click the "apply" button (icon of a check mark) on the tool bar in GParted, for the changes to take effect. Once you have deleted all the partitions from the hard drive you should see something like this:
deletepartitions.png

5. After you have your disk fully unallocated go ahead and format the disk to your preferred format, I'll use ext3 in this example. You do this by right clicking on your unallocated space and selecting "New". Just tick primary, use ext3 from the drop down box and verify that the whole disk is being used. (once again you will need to click the "apply" button for it to take effect) After you are done you should see something like this:
creating full size partition.png

6. Once your drive has been wiped clean, close out GParted and click on the "install" icon on your desktop. Select your current configuration (language, keyboard, time zone, ect.)You will then be presented with a "Prepair disk space" screen that looks like the one below. You will need to tick the box's of the drive you just prepaired and "manual".
prepair disk space.png

7. The next screen "Prepair partitions" is where we are going to be doing all the work for your install. Like the image below, you will need to click on your drive (my case /dev/hda) and then click on the button "new partition table".
new partition table.png

8. You will need to create your / partition first. Follow everything as shown below, with the exception of the size in MB, I'm using a tiny 20GiB drive so mine are showing very small - I would recomend giving yourself about plenty of room for expansion of your current program lineup (10-15 gigs unless you plan on adding tons more programs or large programs)
creating primary with editor.png

9. When this step is complete you should see that your original drive is now seperated in two different partitions, the one you just created for your root (/) and the leftovers on a seperate one.
showing only root.png

10. We now repeat the process, but now creating the /home partition. You do this by selecting the "free space" located just below the root partition we just created, and then clicking the "New Partition" button. You will then see another window just like the first one that popped up when we created the "/" partition. This time you will be specifying that it is going to be an logical partition and mount point of "/home"
creating home partition.png

11. When this is done you will see your new partition and free space:
after home partition.png

12. After which, you keep creating "New Partition"s from the free space left over, making sure to leave enough space at the end of the drive for you swap partition (about twice the amount of ram you have installed). Next few images are creating your "/media" partition(not a must, but a good idea. (just set your downloads and torrents to install here when your up and running):
creating media partition.png

13.Afterwards, you'll see the same results as before. Pretty easy pattern happening here ;)
after media partition.png

14. Finally we will use the remaining diskspace for your swap partition (note that you will not need a mount point and you will select "swap" in the drop down box for format type). :idea: If you have done some incorrect math and have not left enough space, you can simply go back to the last partition you created and "edit" it, to a smaller size :idea:
creating swap partition.png

15. That should be it :!: Click the Forward button to proceed with the install :D
installing.png
installing.png (11.46 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Re: Setting up seperate partitions for root, /home, /media

Postby billhedrick » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Can I use a variant of this to use an existing /home folder on one drive as the /home folder on a new Ultimate Edition install? Both will be 2.8,, I am simply moving to a bigger drive
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)