Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Get the latest avant window navigator (UPDATED 11.11.08)

Post your How to's here

Get the latest avant window navigator (UPDATED 11.11.08)

Postby tuxsax » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:56 pm

11/11/2008 - UPDATE: The official intrepid version of AWN already includes the extras, so this howto should be useful only if you're willing to try the latest cutting blade maintainer version of awn, call it a beta tester, and suffer from bugs from time to time.
By now, the official is good enough and has all you need. So if you still feel like experimenting, continue reading below.
========================================================================================

Hi all,
After looking at some screenshots of other forum members desktops, I've noticed that nice deck that looks like a nice dark glass table with icons on it. So I asked how did they get it, it was only then when I've first heard about the cute program called Avant Window Navigator, aka "awn", as soon as I've heard the name and I've realized that I've seen that name before, of course, it was included in Ultimate Edition for a long time, just waiting for me to discover it!
Since the first minute I loved the program and I decided to dig on it. I've found this version to be a bit buggy, not always doing what I expect it from, etc, etc, then I've started reading in their official webpage and found out that there are newer maintainer versions (trunk) and that they include also a nice bunch of useful applets and plugins.
Why using this "trunk" version? The awn package got itself into the Ubuntu official package lists, but not the extras, so in order to get the extras, for now, you'll need to use both trunk versions, for the base program and for the extras. They claim to be working on making it official in Intrepid release of Ubuntu, let's wait and see, in the meantime, you can already enjoy it.

So here's my howto

First of all I must say this will install the newest versions of the testing team sources, it may lead you to some inconsistencies, I'm using it for a few days now and I don't have any problems on my Ultimate Edition 1.9 x64.

Add the needed sources:
Code: Select all
echo 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ubuntu hardy main' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

echo 'deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ubuntu hardy main' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

Now update your software lists. If you are asked any questions during this, respond with 'y'.
sudo apt-get update

Then install AWN, again, answer 'y' to any questions. (this will remove your current version, most of the settings will be kept, only the custom launcher you may have added will need to be added again)
sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator-trunk awn-extras-applets-trunk awn-manager-trunk

That's it, now you can run it from command line
avant-window-navigator &

or from the "Applications>Accessories>Avant Window Navigator" menu
To reach the manager you can type in command line
awn-manager &

or just right click on the dock to open a menu.
You can see how many applets you have now, I'm sure you'll find something you'll like there
Screenshot-awn-manager.png
Look at this long list, there's still a lot to scroll down!

Now all you need is just play around with the many options, I did it for two days and I've got this nice thingy working fine and useful, not only beautiful...

Here is how mine looks now:
Screenshot.png

Nice, isn't it?

Ziv
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Re: Get the latest avant window navigator w/ awn-extras included

Postby Redeemed » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:29 pm

Ziv, thats pretty awesome clean and functional
Laptop Specs
Intel core 2 Duo Proessor 2.00 GHZ
200GB serial ATA hard disk Drive
1.3 mp Webcam
(Everything else is Onboard)
Redeemed

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby TimelessRogue » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Hey, guys ... it appears that indeed it's all been included in the Intrepid packages and easily installed via Synaptic, even the extras ... I think ... at least they are on the list. Not sure about absolutely all of the extras , Ziv ... still checking it out ... er, playing with it. Thanks for the lead ... 8-)
"There's nothing I can't do ... only things I won't do!" ... The Rogue

HP Pavilion dv9000ec 17" Widescreen Laptop
OS: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64 w/ 2.6.27-8-generic kernel
Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58
Memory/Storage: 2 Gigs w/ 2 SCSI 120mb drives - WinVista & Ultimate 2.0 x64
Graphics/Audio: nVidia GeForce 7150/nForce 630M & nVidia MCP67 Hi-Def Audio
Network/Ethernet: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11a/b/g & nVidia MCP67 Ethernet
DVD/CD: Pioneer DVDRW DVR-K17
Other Stuff: Phillips 80w 2.1 ext speakers, Memorex wireless mouse, HP WebCam
TimelessRogue
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby tuxsax » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:10 pm

I think you're right, I've installed it on my laptop today with the "regular" way, from the official sources and it seem to have all the additions, but it still looks a bit different from the trunk version. Anyway, a normal user should NOT use this one, now that the official one has it all, because sometimes the latest version may contain some bugs.
I'll update the first post so everyone knows.
Thanks
Ziv
U.E. Master

Re: Get the latest avant window navigator (UPDATED 11.11.08)

Postby deate » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:16 pm

A couple of questions: Any way to change the AWN Manager icon that stays on the bar? (installed is ugly) Secondly, I assume you can add Launchers to the bar that will be there when you start your session,is this the Launchers section on the manager section? I have added AWN to my sessions, so that it launches on start-up, I think I like this better than the bottom panel :D
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby tuxsax » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:57 am

Hey Nick, that was too red!

I think what deate is asking is how to add launcher icons to the dock, well, I have it set to auto hide when inactive, so when I want to do this, I change it to be always showing, and then I just drag and drop a launcher icon from the Menu to the AWN dock and that's it!
Later, if you want to change the order of them, you can get into the awn-manager to the launchers menu and move their order higher is left, lower is right.
I tried adding by using the launcher menu but it behaves weird and not always adds the icon, sometimes what you've added appears an a pair of grey gears with nothing in it, or sometimes when you restart awn the apps icons suddenly appear. SO the best is just to drag/drop.
If there's a launcher you don't want there, just right click on it and "Remove"
Hope this helps
U.E. Master

Postby deate » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:40 pm

zivley wrote:Hey Nick, that was too red!

I think what deate is asking is how to add launcher icons to the dock, well, I have it set to auto hide when inactive, so when I want to do this, I change it to be always showing, and then I just drag and drop a launcher icon from the Menu to the AWN dock and that's it!
Later, if you want to change the order of them, you can get into the awn-manager to the launchers menu and move their order higher is left, lower is right.
I tried adding by using the launcher menu but it behaves weird and not always adds the icon, sometimes what you've added appears an a pair of grey gears with nothing in it, or sometimes when you restart awn the apps icons suddenly appear. SO the best is just to drag/drop.
If there's a launcher you don't want there, just right click on it and "Remove"
Hope this helps

Ok, Ziv, I tried that with no success...selected Applications>any program...Grabbed the icon to the left, dragged it to the dock and dropped it...it zipped of the desktop????what did I do wrong???I'd use Nick's method, but what do you put for the "Launcher editor" Name (I assume the name of the program) "Description"???? Then what commands???
deate
Site Admin

Postby tuxsax » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:42 am

The easiest way I know for getting all the details I need for a specific app launcher is to right click on the "Main Menu" (The Ultimate Edition Icon on the top left, if you have UE2.0) and select "Edit Menus" then browse for the desired application menus and select the launcher you want, then click on its "Properties"
Main Menu.png
Main Menu Editor

Launcher Properties.png
Launcher Properties

From there you can take all the details you need, name, description, comment, icon...

Hope this helps
U.E. Master

Postby deate » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:56 am

Thanks ziv, that was just the information I needed...That, plus all the other information here should help everyone get AWN going!
deate
Site Admin

Postby jnalli » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:37 am

I've installed the latest awn... which i think is .2.6 but i still dont get the curvy dock.... what else did i need to do? i even restarted it...how come sometimes i see the post reply button but sometimes I dont on a thread?
Windows Vista
ASUS MB Compaq Presario Computer
AMD Athlon 64
Nvidia Geforce 210
4 Gb RAM
250 Gb SATA drive
jnalli
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Next

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)