Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

SOLVED - boot time message...

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

SOLVED - boot time message...

Postby dougal » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks to 2hot6ft2 for the suggestion to look in /etc/fstab for a drive that may be lost...
I had reference to a USB drive that was not attached. Don't know why yet!!!
So, I commented out the lines referring to it and Hey Presto - no more message.

***********************************************************************************************************

I get the following message at boot...

keys: Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery.

I am unsure what this means. It appears now every time I reboot and I can't tell if it is related to installing VirtualBox or perhaps it has occurred after the last Update to Ultimate Edition 2.7.

Can anyone clarify what the message means and what I have to do about it.

At the moment I press S to skip and everything appears to load as normal. I have tried M for maunual recovery but, I get through to a command line and don't know what to do.

Thanks.
Last edited by dougal on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Re: boot time message...

Postby TexasMike » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:29 pm

dougal,
I notice this same thing about a week ago. I just hit the S for Skip and all loads normally.
I think that this is message is referring to drives in the system that are marked for Automatic Mounting (System>Administration>NTFS Configuration Tool) on system startup.
I believe it started just after an update to the Kernel (now at UBUNTU, with Linux 2.6.32-24-generic) about 7 to 10 days ago. It is causing me some problems with accessing my NAS drive at my office, in addition to the mounting problem with internal drives on the system. I have not found a proper solution as yet. I will post back when and if I discover a permanent solution.
BTW: Do you now have the Purple UBUNTU 10.04 boot-up Splash Screen now? That is another thing I noticed after the update...
Shop PC:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX TUF (The Ultimate Force) R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4GHz Bulldozer Eight Core Black Edition
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengance Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
Video: ATI 7770HD GHZ Edition 2GB PCIe 3.0
Hard Drives: Seagate 2TB, Seagate 500GB, Maxtor 500GB
SSD Drives: OCZ-Vertex4 128GB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
DVD Drive: Plextor PX-L890SA
Power Suipply: RaidMax Modular 1200Watt

Home:
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3ghZ
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video: nVdia GTX650
Drives:1TB SATAIII, 2ea 500GB SATAIII,
SSD: Samsung EV840 mSATa 250GB
CD/DVD: Plextor PL-890SA
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T260
MultiBoot OS: Ultimate Edition 3.4.2x64, 4.2x64-Lite, WIN7x64, WIN8.1x64
Power Supply: Corsair 850Watt
TexasMike
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby dougal » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:25 pm

TexasMike

I think mine started happening when I installed VirtualBox but, I can't be certain. The reason I say this is because this is the time that I noticed the message (after rebooting after the VBox install). I also got a message about the I/O cache not being enabled in the Virtual Machine storage. I had a look at this and although the first hard disc was enabled, my second one was not. I enabled it and the message that was flagging up at Virtual machine boot went away.

I wander if there is something similar to do in Linux but, I don't know where to look nor what to do.

Hope this perhaps gives you ideas...

Cheers,

Dougal.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
dougal
Site Admin

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Have you removed a drive or changed partitions prior to it starting?

I used NTFS-Config to setup my ntfs partitions to auto mount and have read/write permissions.
System > Administration > NTFS Configuration Tool
When I changed things (partitions/drives) around the entry was still in fstab pointing to the partitions that no longer existed and it did the same thing. Same message.
Once I edited fstab and removed the entries for the missing partitions the error message was gone.
Be careful when editing the fstab and make sure you only remove entries that no longer apply. Entries will start with
#Entry for
and end just before the next
#Entry for
To edit it run
Code: Select all
gksu gedit /etc/fstab

Use GParted to make sure of what partitions you have so you don't remove the wrong entry.
System > Administration > GParted
or run
Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -l

That's a lower case L at the end.
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby dougal » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:48 pm

2hot6ft2 - I have managed to sort out the I/O cache error and the Virtual machine works well now.
I just have the message about S for skip and M for manual to get rid of now.

Thanks.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Postby kiwinsn » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:12 pm

I believe that message is for the automatic fsck check of your drives.

I received it as well, pressed S and everything booted normally. Next boot it did the same, so I left it alone.

After a few minutes, I was at my desktop.

A week or so later, the same thing happened. This one took longer.

I guess the first was for my 80GB main drive and the second was for my 120GB /home drive, given the length of time it took.

The third time was really long, so I'm guessing that was my 1TB backup drive.

Nothing appeared since, but I will be expecting it soon, when the time comes around again.

Cheers
System:
Specs to come.
Registered Linux user number: 542342
kiwinsn

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:41 pm

dougal wrote:I just have the message about S for skip and M for manual to get rid of now.

Thanks.

Glad you got the I/O error straightened out. Your message above is the one I was referring to in my last post. It's saying that it can't mount one of the partitions listed in fstab and wants to know if you want to skip it or try to mount it manually. I went with skip then fixed fstab. Haven't seen it since and it's been a couple months at least.
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby dougal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:26 pm

2hot6ft2 - do you reckon it may be happening because I disconnected an external USB drive or perhaps my external eSata drive without unmounting them or suchlike?

I can't think why else this might have happened.

I'll go with leaving the message next boot time and see if things clear.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Re: SOLVED - boot time message...

Postby dougal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks 2hot6ft2 it worked. I had reference to a now none-existent USB drive...
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7