Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

What can I remove?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

What can I remove?

Postby skorj » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:58 pm

Okay here's the deal. I currently have 6 computers running in my house 3 laptops and 3 desktops. I am trying to switch all these computers over to Ultimate Edition 2.7. The problem I am having is not unexpected. All the computers have different HDD sizes, processor speeds, and RAM. I want to know how to remove the KDE, XFCE, Gnome, and the others because each one is used by a different person they each have different preferences so I can tailor their experience and remove the stuff that is wasting space. How do I change my cursor because while I admit the big spinning golden pointers look cool they seem vastly over sized on my laptop. And lastly I was running computer janitor and noticed that there are a whole bunch of things it says I am not using when i tried removing some I accidentally removed the default theme which I kinda like so what I would like to know here is what theme packs are safe to remove without losing anything I am using.
Thank you for any help you can provide even a url is better than where i am stuck now.

Currently Running:
Compaq CQ61-420 Notebook
Athlon Dual-Core 2.1Ghz
3GB RAM
250GB HDD
skorj
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: What can I remove?

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:15 am

Hello skorj & welcome to the U.E Forum.

I currently have 6 computers running in my house 3 laptops and 3 desktops.
good for you :D
way do you want to Remove KDE, XFCE, Gnome?
It will be better if you just live them there , and every user can use the system in the way he wants to.
You have to understand that there are many software that has Dependences on other systems like,
packages from KDE - that works on Gnome and so on.
If you will not add the support to the other systems you just can not use the software.

All the computers have different HDD sizes, processor speeds, and RAM.

This point just say that you will need to work on every machine step by step to configure it correct to the user.
All of them will need support with Multimedia right? right.
All of them need support with chat ,plug ins , Mixers ,pictures all formats & so on.
All of them will need support with mount,unmount Drives & so on.
All of them needz the support in the system to work in full option for the user.

So you have First to look on the user needz and then to start all the support to his machine,
and make sure that he will get it all , if not = you will lose this user on the U.E System.

This is the right way to think on how to support every one of your users/machine to give the MAX functionality for the user that will use the system - no meter what he will use KDE, XFCE, Gnome.

hope this will help you to get the big picture more clear for your Preparation of the machines for the users.

about the Cursor please see the FIX for the issue here on this forum.
Admin-Amir

Postby skorj » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:45 am

I appreciate the help and under normal circumstance i would agree with you on the just leaving them but one of the people is a firm believer of if he isn't using it it's not to be on his computer hence the need to be able to remove them... I know it's possible under ubuntu because I did it to my desktop to test it but i am trying to stick with one version of linux with modification for all not each gets their own personal version and after testing Ultimate Edition for a couple days I would like to use it because it comes with the most complete set of software and it the people that will be using these computers will be happier with try the different stuff thats available and see if they like it then get rid of the others. Instead of trying to download and install and try a whole bunch of different stuff.
skorj
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:23 am

OK , skorj-There you go.

Ubuntu (Gnome):
To install:

Code: Select all
sudo aptitude update&&sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

To remove it:

sudo aptitude remove ubuntu-desktop

Kubuntu (Kde):
To install:

sudo aptitude update&&sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

To remove it:

sudo aptitude remove kubuntu-desktop

Xubuntu (Xfce):
To install:

sudo aptitude update&&sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

To remove it:

sudo aptitude remove xubuntu-desktop

Edubuntu (Gnome also):
To install:

sudo aptitude update&&sudo aptitude install edubuntu-desktop

To remove it:

sudo aptitude remove edubuntu-desktop
Admin-Amir

Postby skorj » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:47 am

Thank you. Would you happen to know if removing them will cause any problems... while i was waiting i went to remove pidgin and it listed like 15 other extra packages including a meta 2.7 package and i am beginning to see what you meant by support this Ultimate Edition seems to have everything tied into everything else....

Ok I found a cursor fix:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/459647/comments/15
this way it will be easier for other people to find
skorj
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:44 am

skorj,

Thank you. Would you happen to know if removing them will cause any problems... while i was waiting i went to remove pidgin and it listed like 15 other extra packages including a meta 2.7 package and i am beginning to see what you meant by support this Ultimate Edition seems to have everything tied into everything else....

Ok I found a cursor fix:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... omments/15
this way it will be easier for other people to find

well As I have try to explain to you the bigger point of view on the issues with all the systems yes there is connection.
The connection will be with software that have converted and compiled from rpm to deb and so on.
when you install the software,plug in and so on you can see that there are Dependences with more packages.
In Linux you can use on the same Desktop software from KDE on Gnome = works just fine.
WAY?

If you will look into your home folder =>view=>show hidden Files,
There you will see that you have KDE, Xfce...
The Idea is to let you have the support for software from the other Desktop (systems) to work on your workspace.
when you start to mess with Removal packages = there is the risk of losing imported Dependencies packages.
So as you can see ,
From the start I have try to let you understand that to Remove options can cost you.

Now if you lose the meta 2.7 package then for sure it will affect your system in many ways around.
You see every one can do what ever he wants with his system/Desktop/workaround and so on,
BUT he must understand the risk and the sequences for his system and the way the system will work for him.
Admin-Amir

Postby skorj » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:52 am

Ok well that answers my question. I can't remove hardly anything. Thanks for your help sorry if I wasted your time. I really like Ultimate Edition so I can deal with that drawback. could you suggest an alternative that might be better suited to the other people? I thought I had fixed the cursor but it still goes back to the gold one when I am in Firefox.
skorj
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:45 am

skorj,

Ok well that answers my question. I can't remove hardly anything. Thanks for your help sorry if I wasted your time. I really like Ultimate Edition so I can deal with that drawback. could you suggest an alternative that might be better suited to the other people? I thought I had fixed the cursor but it still goes back to the gold one when I am in Firefox.

First you have did not wasted my time at all ;)
I & The Team here to help and Guide our users 24/7 just to make them happy and to like the U.E Systems.
about the Cursor - you can change it the themes from =>System=>Preferences=>Cursor selection.
OR.
you can change it from Ubuntu Tweak=> Cursor options.

could you suggest an alternative that might be better suited to the other people?

How can I do that? If I & U.E Team think that this is the best Distro ever made for PPL,
and we be leaved that this Disto give the user ALL in One Distro well supported , with the best Forums support.
And you have here all that you need to get anything to work for you on all the Desktop Options.
So Sorry that I can not do for you or the others users.
Admin-Amir

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7