Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

How it is possible...Serious concern?[SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

How it is possible...Serious concern?[SOLVED]

Postby mirchichamu » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:40 pm

I installed and configured firestarter at the beginning of ultimate installation. Today I found by chance that there is no firewall on my system. I have to reinstall firestarter through synaptic. Not only that, many of the programs are automatically un-installed...How???????Only icons remaining in the applications..After installing firestarter again, I noticed that there is an attack every few minutes.

May I seek help from the learned, how it happened?
mirchichamu
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: How it is possible...Serious concern?

Postby Admin-Amir » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Hello mirchichamu.

This is very interesting what you have.
can you add more info to the process that you have done Before that happens to firestarter.
And do you right click in firestarter to Disable the connection for the service + port?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3665
Admin-Amir

Postby mirchichamu » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Admin-Amir wrote:Hello mirchichamu.

This is very interesting what you have.
can you add more info to the process that you have done Before that happens to firestarter.
And do you right click in firestarter to Disable the connection for the service + port?

http://www.forumubuntusoftware.info/vie ... f=7&t=3665

Thanks Admin-Amir for the reply.
As I told I didn't do anything. Today I wanted to add something to firewall. I looked into firestarter and I couldn't find it. Then I went to synaptic and found it uninstalled. I then reinstalled it. Not only firestarter, BUT I found that many other programs also uninstalled....How??? I don't know.
mirchichamu
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Admin-Amir » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:06 pm

mirchichamu ,

well I think that from your info:

Today I wanted to add something to firewall
:o
To add something to the Firewall? way?how?no way!
After you have configured the Firewall,the the only thing that you do is:
1- From the events tab (After you see that the icon is RED)right click on the Address (IP),
the last option is to see who is the ip Address (After 1-2 sec you have the Address Name).
If you want to allow the connection for the service = fine.
if the Address is not were you at in this point of time = Denny the connection to the Service+the port.

2- There is nothing to add to Firestarter/plug in/software...NOTHING!!!

So if I understand the status right you have allow to attacker to connect like service and allow open port for him.

The must impotent thing that you have to understand is ,
If the Address is in RED to not allow the connection as Service+Do not allow the connection to the port!!!
Admin-Amir

Postby mirchichamu » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:20 am

Admin-Amir wrote:mirchichamu ,

well I think that from your info:

Today I wanted to add something to firewall
:o
To add something to the Firewall? way?how?no way!
After you have configured the Firewall,the the only thing that you do is:
1- From the events tab (After you see that the icon is RED)right click on the Address (IP),
the last option is to see who is the ip Address (After 1-2 sec you have the Address Name).
If you want to allow the connection for the service = fine.
if the Address is not were you at in this point of time = Denny the connection to the Service+the port.

2- There is nothing to add to Firestarter/plug in/software...NOTHING!!!

So if I understand the status right you have allow to attacker to connect like service and allow open port for him.

The must impotent thing that you have to understand is ,
If the Address is in RED to not allow the connection as Service+Do not allow the connection to the port!!!

Thanks once again.
I wanted to download something via bittorrent. So I wanted to unblock the port used by bittorrent. Because the speed of download is too slow for my adsl connection of 4 megabit/second. I found that I should allow a port e,g xxxxx in the firewall to have good speed but that port is closed. So I wanted to allow that port. For that purpose I searched my firewall and found that I have no firewall and I have to reinstall it again. My question Are:

1) Why it was uninstalled????? certainly I didn't uninstall it.
2) How can I add that port to not to be blocked?

Thanks.
mirchichamu
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:13 am

Hello mirchichamu.

Thanks once again.
I wanted to download something via bittorrent. So I wanted to unblock the port used by bittorrent. Because the speed of download is too slow for my adsl connection of 4 megabit/second. I found that I should allow a port e,g xxxxx in the firewall to have good speed but that port is closed. So I wanted to allow that port. For that purpose I searched my firewall and found that I have no firewall and I have to reinstall it again. My question Are:

1) Why it was uninstalled????? certainly I didn't uninstall it.
2) How can I add that port to not to be blocked?

OK, let me try to explain to you the issue with firestarter first.
in the process of the update there was update for firestarter+some security dependencies.
After the update (If you did not made the upgrade process) then the old package is gone,
and the new package is waiting for the instillation in synaptic/the dependencies wait for the installation.
So it is correct that you will be without the firewall on your machine.

2- About open ports - well I do not open ports for torrents never,
yes I know and understand that you want the down to be fast.
but!!! there are some more issues with opening ports on your system for the down time.
you have to know that when you open port it will not be just one port !!!
there will be more ports that will be Auto open for the share/exchange files with the port that you have open.
way is that?
Traffic works on 2 roads - one come to your machine and one is for the share to other users.
now make the right calculation how many ports will be open on this process?
I will say on one file that you have open the needed port for the down = 20-40 ports !!! ;)

3- mirchichamu when you work with Linux you have to be more smart and look on the big picture.
you have all the tools to do it and do it safe.
all you need is time to learn more how FIRST to protect your system all the time from attracts.
And how to live safe on the net and not to give what you do not want to give - that can hart your system.
You have from the start ports that open Auto for the connection with Torrents.
way would you like to open more ports for the download for other users - If you just want file?

Let me tell you something about How To work with Torrents.
1- Never open more ports.
2. Make clean of all the IP's that come on your firewall after the few min of connection to the download,
just make sure that you DO NOT HAVE IP'S IN RED!!!
RED for you is attacher.
3- when the file was downloaded to your machine=>go to get the file/movie/song.....
from the file and get it to your Desktop=>then Delete the file from from your home Directory,
Block all the incoming IP's in your firewall=>Delete the file from Torrent!
Close Torrent and get your file to the Folder that you want , just not to the Torrent Folder!!
Now you will be safe and not connected to the Users that seed the file to the world,
And your firewall will not be busy with incoming IP's from the out side to your machine.

Hope that add some info for you to understand where are the risks that you take for nothing. ;)
Admin-Amir

Postby mirchichamu » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Thanks Admiral-Amir for this nice explanation...I need my system more safe than the torrents.
mirchichamu
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:32 pm

mirchichamu you very very welcome <BREW> ;)
Stay safe this is How To be Linux User ;)
Admin-Amir

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7