Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

sata install.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

sata install.

Postby trimleyman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:50 pm

good evening.
Have installed 2.7 ultimate edition on my acer one (modified from ssd to 60gig zif no problem works like a dream , very impressed. However, yeh, you guessed , problem with another system . Have a home-build based on invidia xfx nForce 750a mother board with phenom 3 core processor , 3gd ram with 500 gig sata drive. Windows crashdummy (Vista) will recognized drive , no problem and fully install. But I do not want to use windows! So have tried to install Ultimate Edition 2.7 which with a little tweaking it appears to do ,untill you reboot that is :( . Starts to reaboot fine , shows splash screen with working bar under then a short while later brings up a error screen .
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/...... does not exist. dropping to a shell!
BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)

(initramfs)

Any suggestions as how to work past this problem as this would appear to be the perfect OS for such a machine.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Martin,
trimleyman
trimleyman
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: sata install.

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi trimleyman and welcome to the forum,

The install that controls the grub menu has an error in the fstab file in that it's still showing the partition you removed and reformatted. The best way for you to understand this is by example so here's mine.

My desktop with 2 drives so it closely resembles what you're describing.
On drive sda I have
sda1 windows UUID: 1234567890
sda2 data partition UUID: 1234567891

on drive 2 I have
sdb1 Ultimate Edition 2.7 UUID: 1234567892

Now I remove windows and install Ultimate Edition 2.8 and it gets a new UUID in the process making it
sda1 Ultimate Edition 2.8 UUID: 1234567893

Now the partition with the UUID: 1234567890 no longer exists so it will hang for a long time and give an error like the one you're seeing. You can usually press the Esc key while it's hanging before the error message and it will boot into the desktop but the next boot will do the same thing.

So what the solution is, is to remove the entry for the partition you changed in the fstab file which is located in /etc/fstab so you can either boot into the desktop like I said by using the Esc key or you can use the livedvd and open a terminal and use
Code: Select all
gksu nautilus

browse to the partition that is the install that controls the grub menu (the one that updates the grub menu)
and browse to /etc/fstab then right click on it and under scripts select "open with gedit as root".
Remove the entry for the partition that was changed then save and close.
or if you're at the desktop of the one that controls grub use
Code: Select all
gksu gedit /etc/fstab

to do the edit then save and close it.

This is what a partitions entry looks like and if I wanted to remove it I would delete all that I have highlighted.
Screenshot-fstab (-etc) - gedit.png

That's it.

Be careful with the fstab file and make no changes other than those you're sure about. ;)
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby trimleyman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:37 pm

Many thanks for your assistance. Tried everything you suggested and have spent much time surfing for and answer for this.
Result not as you suggested , would not work for me.
Solution was to add pci=nomsi to the grub.cfg file.

in this file below ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10 linux###
go to line after search --no--floppy....etc
root=UUID+.............................. ro quiet splash (add pci=nomsi here)

it works
Thanks again and hope this helps other,
Happy father's day,
Martin,
trimleyman :D
trimleyman
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Nice find trimleyman, glad you got it straightened out.
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7