Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Lost buttons and window frames after updates...

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Lost buttons and window frames after updates...

Postby dougal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:25 pm

2.6.32-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28 06:07:29 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

This is the latest version I have updated to, today and after opening Firefox again and Terminal, I have no buttons on the top right of the window and the frame around the windows have vanished.

How do I get them back???

Thanks.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Re: Lost buttons and window frames after updates...

Postby dougal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Rebooted and got the buttons back but, not the window frames. The colours around the frames are not as they were either...
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
dougal
Site Admin

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Hello dougal.

it looks like this is Compiz issue with the Compiz manager.
please look who is the Compiz manager on your system , and change the manager.
This will solve the issue with the window frames etc.
Admin-Amir

Postby dougal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:28 pm

It appears to be a problem associated with Metacity. I chose another Metacity theme and the frame, etc are restored. I could not see the altered theme that I had modified on the theme list so, I do not know what has happened. It is like Metacity has been returned to a default state and I have to set all my colours again.

Sad...

Oh, I tried to restore my system for the first time and it doesn't look like anything was restored but, it is hard to tell because the only thing that changed with the update is the buttons and frame.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:50 pm

dougal,

Did you try to use the "Back in Time"?
Use this software as user + root , and save all your home to snap shot. ;)
Admin-Amir

Postby dougal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Mmm... I don't usually do this because it can take such a long time to make a backup or snapshot. I am doing it just now to see how long the process will take from start to finish but, I think I will probably not do it regularly. I make copies of everything important as I go along so, what folders should I take a snap shot of to keep desktop settings and things like this?

Thanks.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:29 pm

dougal,

The easy way will be to say I do not know the software ;)
well this software is taking snap shot of all that you gut on the place that you have configure it .
If it is Home , then this snap shot will copy one for one all the Home folder as you see it + hidden folders.
Then if some thing go wrong for you , then you go to the snap shot copy all that you have inside and past it all
into your home folder.
Then you will have all what you have save there with the software.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/back-in-time- ... buntu.html
Admin-Amir

Re: Lost buttons and window frames after updates...[CLOSED]

Postby dougal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks Amir for your advice.
I will look carefully at what files to save in a snapshot and take the snapshot when I am not busy with the computer. I was using the program to try it out and it seems to have something running in the background after I have stopped using it because it was taking a long time and saving some big files I did not want to save.
So, I will continue to work without it just now and come back to this at a later date.

I have important things saved on external devices.

Thanks,

Dougal.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:00 pm

dougal,

You very welcome. ;)
this is very good software to use.
Good Luck to you.
and please update the tread here with the experience for other users. ;)
Admin-Amir

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)