Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultamatix issues post here please.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 am

Hello to you all.

Admin-Amir

Re: Ultamatix issues post here please.

Postby dune » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:55 am

Hi, I was trying to remove the failed package gdesklets, which has been creating problems for almost everyone that uses it, by not loading at all.

I first tried to remove it from Synaptic, and then from the command line using apt-get. I got a prompt about it being tied to a large number of other packages that would become useless on removal. Upon checking, I realized that it was part of the Ultimate Edition 2.6 metapackage, which was the reason why I was getting the message about removing the other packages therein. I wasn't sure if apt-get remove was safe, though it was telling me that apt-get autoremove will remove the other 'related' packages.

So,thinking that Ultamatix would be the right tool for removing gdesklets, I issued the remove command from there. With the result that instead of prompting me about the other packages, your script just went ahead and deleted all of them! When I clicked the Cancel button, a dialog box just told me to wait till the script ended.

Now, I have the default Ubuntu 10.04 system, stripped of all extra packages except those that I had installed. I can't use the DVD I had installed it from just for repairing the system, because Ubuntu (and hence Ultimate Edition 2.6) gets installed from sqashfs, and not the regular .deb files. I don't want to download the packages because it would be time-consuming and expensive, plus I don't even know which ones were part of the default metapackage (which incidentally, I could not locate). And I don't want to lose my /home directory and all that I have installed so far by going for a reinstall.

Do you have a way out? As you would understand, this is not a gdesklets issue, but an ultamatix / Ultimate Edition metapackage issue.
dune
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Re: Ultamatix issues post here please.

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:25 am

Hello dune and welcome to the U.E Forum.

sorry to say that the only way that I can think of will be to Reinstall your system.
Admin-Amir

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)