Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Laptop issues post here please.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Re: Laptop issues post here please.

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:33 pm

deviltalk wrote:running 2.6.1 (amongst others :P) on my lgx110 pos.... 1 g ram atom,
i am looking into a minimalist approach... want to know where to cut the fat..... what programs are essential to it running and what are not, i understand about most of the software, but i'm looking into resources and alternatives i've run 2.8 lite it was nice, some things did not work properly not sure if it was python or whatnot...
with 2.6.1 i have an awesome conky and code works with it (thanks Thee Mann) i also am playing with Oz Unity 1.0 (yeah i've been busy) and most here should also know me from there forum...... is there a way to trim 2.6.1 down ?

depending on the responce i may just burn and run from a usb for xperiments.....

speaking of that, i've gotten the idea to mod my netbook with a "permenant" usb chip yes it will kill one usb slot permantly, what are youir takes on that, running ubuntu obviously, i barely use my windows now, just to check my isp mail account as i forgot the password.... haha. ok enough blah blah blah.

Bad idea, here is why.

Same reason turbo boost for vista and windows 7 was a flop.

Bandwidth for USB rail is not per USB slot for all of the USB slots combined.

Use a lot of bandwidth on one slot and the others become very slow.

USB devices like keyboards / mice ETC use hardly any bandwidth . But media can use a ton, forcing all other USB slots to become near worthless.

Tried this once, ran Ultimate Edition 2.7 off a 16 GB USB flash drive.

When I added another flash drive to transfer some programs, transfer rate was 1/10 the normal rate.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby JOHNNYG » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:
deviltalk wrote:running 2.6.1 (amongst others :P) on my lgx110 pos.... 1 g ram atom,
i am looking into a minimalist approach... want to know where to cut the fat..... what programs are essential to it running and what are not, i understand about most of the software, but i'm looking into resources and alternatives i've run 2.8 lite it was nice, some things did not work properly not sure if it was python or whatnot...
with 2.6.1 i have an awesome conky and code works with it (thanks Thee Mann) i also am playing with Oz Unity 1.0 (yeah i've been busy) and most here should also know me from there forum...... is there a way to trim 2.6.1 down ?

depending on the responce i may just burn and run from a usb for xperiments.....

speaking of that, i've gotten the idea to mod my netbook with a "permenant" usb chip yes it will kill one usb slot permantly, what are your takes on that, running ubuntu obviously, i barely use my windows now, just to check my isp mail account as i forgot the password.... haha. ok enough blah blah blah.

Bad idea, here is why.

Same reason turbo boost for vista and windows 7 was a flop.

Bandwidth for USB rail is not per USB slot for all of the USB slots combined.

Use a lot of bandwidth on one slot and the others become very slow.

USB devices like keyboards / mice ETC use hardly any bandwidth . But media can use a ton, forcing all other USB slots to become near worthless.

Tried this once, ran Ultimate Edition 2.7 off a 16 GB USB flash drive.

When I added another flash drive to transfer some programs, transfer rate was 1/10 the normal rate.

NOW SEE !! This is why people like Gúrú Linux ríomhaire are promoted !! <BREW> They ( HE) cares !! <BREW>
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby deviltalk » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:21 pm

awesome, now what if i had 2 banks of usb and they ran seperate of each other?

also is there a way to test that? (i'm so funny that way)

i ask, i have 2 usb on one side of my netbook and one on the other side. they are wired into the mother board on those sides. the other thing i'm looking into is swapping out my hard drive (hd) for a solid state drive (ssd) i know the lgx110 can be removed but i'm not too sure if its a "special" drive made specifically for the netbook.

you guys are awesome. i know you know that but i just wanted you to know that i knew you know that, so that everyone knows that i knew you know that.

and in case anyone is playing.... i just lost the game.
Intel(R) Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
512 KB L2
1 g ram

deviltalk
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:28 am

Sure you can test it.

Test it using a data transfer test

1 by it's self

1 with a USB based os on the same rail

Or 2 drives on one rail vs single drive on one rail.

Yes each rail has it,s own bandwidth

But all USB ports on a motherboard, ever hard wired are on one rail.

It would need to be a pci or pci-e rail USB .

FYI All USB s on your laptop are a single rail. Sides matter not, still one rail.

Your not funny at all, already ran these tests my self lol. Tests are how we learn.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)