Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Video issues post here please.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Re: Video issues post here please.

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:23 pm

Wolfie Lee wrote:Hello! I have installed Ultimate Edition 2.6 x64 using a UNetbootin Live USB stick. I restarted and logged into the new OS, and ran the update manager, and rebooted again. Then I installed the Latest NVIDIA drivers, rebooted, and got this:

(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load NVIDIA kernel. Please check your
(EE) NVIDIA: Systems kernel log for additional messages.
(EE) Failed to load module "NVIDIA" (module specific error, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

I tried ALL 3 versions, and (With different messages) got the same results...logging in in low graphics mode. I also tried EACH Linux kernel, and, in each kernel, ran the recovery mode and used dpckg (repair broken packages) after an attempted NORMAL boot....all to no avail.

...Help.....?

Hi Wolfie Lee,

Have you tried the options in this thread for nVidia?
Nvidia issues post here please.

In the 64 bit it seems to work best with the 2.6.32-21 kernel. Trying to install the nvidia driver against the -22 kernel is like beating your head against a wall, I've been there myself and ended re-installing and following Thees advise and it worked.
I haven't tried the server kernel option "yet".
;)
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Wolfie Lee » Mon May 17, 2010 4:04 pm

oops...did not look that far....it says post video problems here, and, to ME, this is a video prob...I'll put this in the NVIDIA section, too if it takes too long to sort out....so what U are saying is I CAN'T install the NVIDIA drivers in Ultimate Edition 2.6, at all...? As I said, I tried the other kernel option at GRUB, with the same results (NOT SURE ON THE kernel #, as I can't log out of Windows, 'till tomorrow...). So, is there an Ultimate Edition 2.6 WITH the 2.6.32-21 kernel, because, IF NOT, I'll have to backstep ALL the way back to 2.3, as both x64 2.4, and 2.5 INSTALL on my new system, but slow to a CRAWL once logged in....I took it to be an Ubuntu kernel problem, at the time, and have been running 2.3 for a long time.....if it ain't one thing, eh?

I'll follow the link, there, and take a gander....THANX!

O.K.......... :idea: I did it BAss AckWARDS! I tried to log into the other kernel AFTER I installed the drivers...this should DEF help, when I can get back to it....Thanks again!
OS: Ultimate Edition 4.6 gamers x64; Windows 7 x64 custom Nvidia Black edition; Linux Mint 17.3 MATE x64
MB: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
CPU: AMD FX6300 Black (6x 3.5GHz)
CPU cooler: OCZ Vedetta with replacement Nanoxia Deep Silence 92mm 1400 RPM fan
MEM: 8GB (2x4GB) Ballistix Sport DDRIII 1600; PC3-12800
GPU: XFX Double Dispersion Radeon R7 360P-F22M 1050MHz 2GB GDDR5
OS SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
NO Storage drive (yet)
Optical Drive: LG Super-multi with MODISC capabilities(Model# hidden in new build, not gonna remove it now...lol)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-5183
PS: XFX 650W XXX Edition Grey Modular
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Yes this is a thread for graphics it's just that nvidia got it's own thread for reasons specific to it. Since there is a lot more info. on it there, why not go to where the info. is right.

Both the 32 bit and the 64 bit have the 2.6.32-21 kernel. ONLY the 64 bit has the 2.6.32-22 kernel on a fresh install. Ubuntu slipped it in at the last minute. It was not even a mainline kernel at that time.
Simply installing the nvidia driver using the -21 kernel on a fresh install is a temporary fix. You can even stick with that kernel until a fix is found. I installed the 64 bit and did it on 2 machines, but switched to 32 bit later.

With the 32 bit an update came along with the -22 kernel and messed one of mine up while the other has no problems with it. This is not a Ultimate Edition issue it is a kernel issue and is affecting many distributions. Nouveau was added to the kernel and it's not playing nice with nvidia cards and drivers. It's well known and everyone is scrambling to find fixes for it.

I hope this will help you to understand what the issue is and where to find the info. on what has been tried and what is working and what's not.
You're welcome and thanks for understanding.
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby garygregor » Tue May 18, 2010 5:16 pm

When the system restarts push Shift to get into the Grub menu. Toggle down and choose the .21 kernel to boot into .
Once in run your driver update. Then open start up manager to confirm that the .21 kernel is your default. Also
update manager installed a modaliases nvidia which I myself didn't install. Hope this helps.
Gary
garygregor
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Wolfie Lee » Tue May 18, 2010 6:36 pm

O.K.

Got it done! Then I accidentally let the computer log into the -22 kernel.......ARGGHH! :x

LOL...well, at least I know how to get the card going, when I get down to the personalization and packages and such that I like.....

Thanks guys! We'll call this SOLVED.....
OS: Ultimate Edition 4.6 gamers x64; Windows 7 x64 custom Nvidia Black edition; Linux Mint 17.3 MATE x64
MB: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
CPU: AMD FX6300 Black (6x 3.5GHz)
CPU cooler: OCZ Vedetta with replacement Nanoxia Deep Silence 92mm 1400 RPM fan
MEM: 8GB (2x4GB) Ballistix Sport DDRIII 1600; PC3-12800
GPU: XFX Double Dispersion Radeon R7 360P-F22M 1050MHz 2GB GDDR5
OS SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
NO Storage drive (yet)
Optical Drive: LG Super-multi with MODISC capabilities(Model# hidden in new build, not gonna remove it now...lol)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-5183
PS: XFX 650W XXX Edition Grey Modular
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Wolfie Lee wrote:O.K.

Got it done! Then I accidentally let the computer log into the -22 kernel.......ARGGHH! :x

LOL...well, at least I know how to get the card going, when I get down to the personalization and packages and such that I like.....

Thanks guys! We'll call this SOLVED.....

Good deal, except the goof up. <BREW> Don't forget that you can replace the -22 kernel with the server kernel too.
http://ultimateeditionoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=1112

Replace the 2.6.32-22 kernel with the server kernel
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-2.6.32-22 linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic

when that finishes install the server kernel per Blackwolfs's instructions
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-server linux-image-server linux-server

You will have to reboot after it finishes.
That's it.
<BREW>
2hot6ft2

Postby shadowcrunch » Wed May 19, 2010 12:02 am

Hey, it's me again! I finally got some time off of work and decided to install 2.6 today. Everything ran great. Install went quick, wonderful splash screens, great sound...then I had to restart because the install was complete. I got no splash screen, then the startup sound, then my monitor said 'no signal' and shut off. Formatted and tried again, same thing. Been bouncing around the forums trying to figure this out (on my vista laptop) and read about hitting shift to enter GRUB and starting with the -21 kernel instead of -22. WELL....when I got into GRUB all I had was -21 and -21(recovery). Plus the two memory tests. I tried the recovery, and got the same blank screen.

I do have a Nvidia card, so maybe this belongs in the Nvidia forum? I see a lot of useful information I could use if I could get a screen to come up. Any ideas? Thanks again!
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby dathem » Wed May 19, 2010 12:42 am

shadowcrunch wrote:Hey, it's me again! I finally got some time off of work and decided to install 2.6 today. Everything ran great. Install went quick, wonderful splash screens, great sound...then I had to restart because the install was complete. I got no splash screen, then the startup sound, then my monitor said 'no signal' and shut off. Formatted and tried again, same thing. Been bouncing around the forums trying to figure this out (on my vista laptop) and read about hitting shift to enter GRUB and starting with the -21 kernel instead of -22. WELL....when I got into GRUB all I had was -21 and -21(recovery). Plus the two memory tests. I tried the recovery, and got the same blank screen.

I do have a Nvidia card, so maybe this belongs in the Nvidia forum? I see a lot of useful information I could use if I could get a screen to come up. Any ideas? Thanks again!

Hello, This is just a wild idea--probably won't solve your problem, but wouldn't hurt to try maybe. I wonder if your laptop screen is having trouble displaying the resolution of the installed Ultimate Edition desktop. I have a Walmart branded LCD monitor that displays a black screen the whole way through booting up the newer versions of Ultimate Edition and UBUNTU, up to and including the desktop, when booting from the 'Live' DVD. I waiting a long time and no activity lights of any drive but still no video, so I thought. Then I got the bright idea to hook up a CRT monitor I had sitting around, and there was the desktop all the time! Won't hurt to try an external monitor, if you have one. Hopefully someone else can think of something to that might solve your problem.
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby shadowcrunch » Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Well that's something! I dug my old CRT out of the basement and hauled it upstairs to my desktop (oh yeah, should have specified before, I have Ultimate Edition on the desktop, vista on the laptop). It worked as soon as I plugged in. I tried doing the dual monitor thing, but no combination of refresh rate and resolution would fire up my LCD. I should add here, my LCD is running a DVI cable, while I was running my CRT with D-sub/VGA. On a hunch, I plugged the D-sub cable to my LCD and it fired up instantly. Luckily I have a monitor with both inputs and a graphics card with both outputs! I would just run the CRT, but there's no room on my desk for that huge monster!

Of course, I'm not sure if it's a problem between my install of Ultimate Edition and the DVI output, or if it's from not having the Nvidia drivers installed. Unfortunately most of the internet in my town is down this evening (using my cell as a modem on my laptop right now) so I still haven't been able to run updates or install the drivers. Just wanted to mention this in the hopes that it might help someone else. When I can get online with high speed again and install the drivers, I will give an update if it helped my DVI capability.
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby dathem » Wed May 19, 2010 11:43 pm

shadowcrunch wrote:Well that's something! I dug my old CRT out of the basement and hauled it upstairs to my desktop (oh yeah, should have specified before, I have Ultimate Edition on the desktop, vista on the laptop). It worked as soon as I plugged in. I tried doing the dual monitor thing, but no combination of refresh rate and resolution would fire up my LCD. I should add here, my LCD is running a DVI cable, while I was running my CRT with D-sub/VGA. On a hunch, I plugged the D-sub cable to my LCD and it fired up instantly. Luckily I have a monitor with both inputs and a graphics card with both outputs! I would just run the CRT, but there's no room on my desk for that huge monster!

Of course, I'm not sure if it's a problem between my install of Ultimate Edition and the DVI output, or if it's from not having the Nvidia drivers installed. Unfortunately most of the internet in my town is down this evening (using my cell as a modem on my laptop right now) so I still haven't been able to run updates or install the drivers. Just wanted to mention this in the hopes that it might help someone else. When I can get online with high speed again and install the drivers, I will give an update if it helped my DVI capability.

Hopefully, if you can get the Nvidia drivers installed so you can get the LCD to work, maybe try an adapter to make the DVI connect to the VGA connector, can hurt to try. I am glad that I went with my gut feeling to tell you my tale with the 'LIVE DVD' black blank screen. It is frustrating when the LCD has very limited range, mine has one, if I knew that before I bought it, (it wasn't mentioned on the box) it would have stayed in the store.
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)