Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Nvidia issues post here please.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:22 am

Hello to you all.

Admin-Amir

Re: Nvidia issues post here please.

Postby TheeMahn » Sun May 02, 2010 6:49 pm

If you fellas are having issues installing Nvidia drivers in the 64 bit edition please reboot select the second kernel on the list and install drivers as you normally would this is due to a "proposed" kernel slipping in during build. Does not apply to the 32 bit.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby jnalli » Sun May 02, 2010 10:23 pm

I tried this and it doesnt take. Do i need a different driver than it is suggesting me? I was so excited and now my nvidia card driver doesnt work. How come there was no warning about this before the release?
Windows Vista
ASUS MB Compaq Presario Computer
AMD Athlon 64
Nvidia Geforce 210
4 Gb RAM
250 Gb SATA drive
jnalli
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Sun May 02, 2010 10:49 pm

jnalli wrote:I tried this and it doesnt take. Do i need a different driver than it is suggesting me? I was so excited and now my nvidia card driver doesnt work. How come there was no warning about this before the release?

I just found out for one. I assume you are running 64 bit edition first. I once again assume you installed it though "Jockey" aka "restricted driver manager". How am I doing so far? Did you select the second kernel from the list before doing so? Please work with me I will get your card working. I do feel this is somewhat my fault I should have seen the newer kernel while building, amongst the other 1100+ or so packages. I don't need a restricted driver so obviously I would not catch it. My compiz works as soon as I boot live. I hope in the future you Nvidia users to enjoy the same & not need a driver.

This is because Nvidia does not want to release their source. ATI is leaps and bounds ahead of NVidia when it comes to *Nix. I hope you can understand I really know what I am talking about. I used to hate ATI, because I am a nix man. Now it is the opposite. I could preach on about KMS, nouveau, and R***.

I will fix your issue, please work with me.

3000 posts for me ;) Am I dedicated? 155 for you, why have you not been nominated for mod?

Most ppl don't know this, minus admin. I have written 3 debs that build ultimate edition a one shot all is done, automation at it's finest. I have not released it to the public, because I am afraid they will install them in there o/s and not use it to build a O/S. Catastrophic event if you will. I had 32 bit uploading the same day Ubuntu dropped a release and 64 the next day. Not flawless I now see. A new kernel not totally a show stopper. I have not achieved perfection YET!!!

I bet next Ultimate Edition release those debs have 64 and 32 uploading the same day b4 they have a chance to drop a new kernel on me. It took me 2 months to write them.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby zefyr » Mon May 03, 2010 1:06 am

So, just to be clear. I did as you said and installed the latest nvidia driver (downloaded from their site) in the 2.6.32-21 kernel. It is working. does that mean i should avoid the -22 kernel? Thanks for you time. Also, interesting that you are favoring the ati drivers on ubuntu. I had been reading that nvidia was better w the proprietary drivers. Im about to get a laptop and want to run Ultimate Edition on it too. Love to hear more of your thoughts on the issue (or links to something that might help) thanks again.
zefyr
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Mon May 03, 2010 1:24 am

zefyr wrote:So, just to be clear. I did as you said and installed the latest nvidia driver (downloaded from their site) in the 2.6.32-21 kernel. It is working. does that mean i should avoid the -22 kernel? Thanks for you time. Also, interesting that you are favoring the ati drivers on ubuntu. I had been reading that nvidia was better w the proprietary drivers. Im about to get a laptop and want to run Ultimate Edition on it too. Love to hear more of your thoughts on the issue (or links to something that might help) thanks again.

I am first glad you were vivid in understanding. I suppose you can not see the side I referred to I do not need a driver and compiz "just works" off the rip live dvd. You can remove the newer kernel is it necessary? No, but probably it would be best, why it will default to the newest kernel. I was not referring to proprietary drivers. When you seen the screenshots of me installing Ultimate Edition 2.6, I BS you not I have 0 need for a video driver, I was using compiz as I installed the O/S, automatically engaged on boot.

In your case it attempts to engage compiz and fails, which is O.K. after installed and nvidia proprietary drivers installed, will engage. As long as there is a war in video cards and linux things will change. Proprietary drivers is not the answer, don't you feel it should be built into your O/S? I can not include your driver in Ultimate Edition, I would be sued. ATI has open source drivers included in Ultimate Edition 2.6, any thing futher you would like to ask?

Do not think things are 1 sided Nvidia has similar only 2d not 3d, by releasing source things just happen faster.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby bpollen » Mon May 03, 2010 3:47 am

I have gotten the "version current" drivers working on the newest kernel by going to this page, and following the directions from Kaddy (about halfway down the page...":
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install ... #more-5264
44.934157796653814, -93.22175949811935
bpollen

Postby gjringo » Mon May 03, 2010 8:48 am

Earlier today, I tried the reboot and install on kernel 2.6.32-21 to no avail. Of course that was after I stuffed around trying different fixes before I had read Thee Mahns post (start of this thread).After following the various threads on different forums I decided to start afresh. Who had given the simplest instructions? .....Thee Mahn!!..of course.

So...fresh installs, reboot desktop, reboot laptop, boot into 2nd kernel ie 2.6.32-21(chose at initial boot screen on dual boot laptop),had to run Login Screen to choose default session(2.6.32-21)on single boot desktop----install current nvidia driver via >Administration/Hardware Drivers....reboot,.. choose 2nd kernel again,(if not set to default)and.....Presto!!! SIMPLE!!! ......for more complex manouvers follow the other threads eg.http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -1004.html
"The powers of financial capitalism had [a] far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent private meetings and conferences."
Carroll Quigley, 'Tragedy and Hope'

KUBUNTU : 13.10
OS4 OpenLinux 13.7 KDE
nOS 1.5
Intel P45 Quad 9550 @2.83GHz
Intergrated Audio-Realtek ALC888 4GB DDR2
WD 500GB main drive WD320GB external drive
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1024MB
BenQ G2410 HD display Altec Lansing 5.1 sound
2 Cor 13:14
gjringo
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby jnalli » Mon May 03, 2010 11:52 am

Okay. I got it to work using the 2nd kernel. What is the downside of using the second kernel? Will it ever work with new kernel?
Windows Vista
ASUS MB Compaq Presario Computer
AMD Athlon 64
Nvidia Geforce 210
4 Gb RAM
250 Gb SATA drive
jnalli
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:52 pm

I knew if there was an easy way to get my nVidia cards to work with the proprietary drivers you were the ones that would know how best to do it.
Nouveau works for the most part and it will be great once it matures a bit more.
I just had to have my wobbly windows and GPU temp. sensor. :mrgreen:

Thank you ALL for the time and effort that was put into another great Ultimate Edition. <BREW>

TheeMahn, don't think for a minute that we don't appreciate ALL the things you do. WE DO!!!
Sounds like you could use a <BREW> and a break.

Guess my next graphics card will be ATI (gotta support those that support Open Source).
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)