Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

do i take the leap?

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.5

do i take the leap?

Postby frostybear » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:22 am

hey guys, i am very new to the pc scene and might sound a bit stupid ,but bear with me if u will.i currently run windows on my pc's at home.i would like to know if i can play cod4,bf2 and mw2 on the Ultimate Edition 2.4 gamers edition.is it difficult or do u have to be knowledgeable to set up home networks with Ultimate Edition.i want to crossover but i am a bit scared to do so as i only know windows and am not that smart concerning tinkering with OS's.any advise and help would be greatly appreciated,without climbing into my character that is.thank you.

amd [email protected]
2gig ram
geforce 9600gt
500gig segate hdd
asus m2v-mx
frostybear
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 32 BIT

Re: do i take the leap?

Postby dathem » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:17 am

Hello, with Ultimate Edition you can use a 'program' called Play On Linux which allows you to install many Windows games, as long as you have the disk(s). Here is a link to the POL web site; http://www.playonlinux.com/en/ POL is installed on Ultimate Edition and the program lists cod4,bf2 as being installable, I didn't see mw2 but they add new games all the time.

Linux (Ultimate Edition) is very easy to set up home networks, especially if all the computers are running Ultimate Edition, one of the best sharing programs is LANDSHARK, you can access every part of each computer, home, desktop, and every folder can be shared with ease.

BTW you can also dual boot, allowing you to start up with either windows or Ultimate Edition. Just backup any data on the windows side, insert the Ultimate Edition LIVE DVD and when you get to the partition part of the installation, check the box that keeps windows and installs Ultimate Edition side by side. The computer I am using now has Windows 7, UBUNTU 9.10 and Ultimate Edition 2.5. I would suggest that you spend some time reading the beginner part of the forum so that you build up your knowledge as well as your courage to try. IF the computer boots up from the live DVD just fine and you can access the disk to open programs, etc, you shouldn't have issues installing Ultimate Edition, though there are exceptions at times. AS long as you back up all the data you want to keep, if the install, goes bad, you can just reinstall the software.

We are here to help!
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby Cell » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:40 pm

As for the gaming questions....Any M$ game installed in Linux will suffer performance hits.Depending on how bad a hit is...well is up to you.

I play the COD''s.The last COD I was able to run decently in Linux was UO.

I always say if you play M$ games then use M$...You will get the best performance.Use Linux to play native games,and everything else you would use a pc for.(Duel boot)

Cell
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby cowboy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 am

If you do install or even not....we will be here for you..do not be afraid of questions.. ;)
And welcome to Ultimate Edition...
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby frostybear » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:15 am

Thx for all the feed back,i have taken the leap and so far i can only say thank you to all involved in creating Ultimate Edition.it was an eye opener.I am currently installing Ultimate Edition on my wife's PC as well,but i have run into a snag on my daughters PC.she has a Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz with 1,3 gig ram.as every one else knows and i only found out now ,i could not install Ultimate Edition .so any advice on which edition i can install on her pc,or any where i can read up on the requirements to run Ultimate Edition.once again great job in creating Ultimate Edition,if it wasn't for the ms games i would not need windows,so sad.would it be possible for companies to create Linux versions of their games or would it be too much to ask.the Linux community seems to be growing in leaps and bounds,i don't see it changing soon or dropping in popularity.thx again.
frostybear
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby cowboy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:16 pm

frostybear wrote:Thx for all the feed back,i have taken the leap and so far i can only say thank you to all involved in creating Ultimate Edition.it was an eye opener.I am currently installing Ultimate Edition on my wife's PC as well,but i have run into a snag on my daughters PC.she has a Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz with 1,3 gig ram.as every one else knows and i only found out now ,i could not install Ultimate Edition .so any advice on which edition i can install on her pc,or any where i can read up on the requirements to run Ultimate Edition.once again great job in creating Ultimate Edition,if it wasn't for the ms games i would not need windows,so sad.would it be possible for companies to create Linux versions of their games or would it be too much to ask.the Linux community seems to be growing in leaps and bounds,i don't see it changing soon or dropping in popularity.thx again.

Well TheeMahn is the one to thank, us Mods and Admin are here to help, as well as the other members.
We do contribute are time, advice, and on occasion are artwork. Glad you like the distro.. ;)
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby dathem » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:40 pm

frostybear wrote:Thx for all the feed back,i have taken the leap and so far i can only say thank you to all involved in creating Ultimate Edition.it was an eye opener.I am currently installing Ultimate Edition on my wife's PC as well,but i have run into a snag on my daughters PC.she has a Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz with 1,3 gig ram.as every one else knows and i only found out now ,i could not install Ultimate Edition .so any advice on which edition i can install on her pc,or any where i can read up on the requirements to run Ultimate Edition.once again great job in creating Ultimate Edition,if it wasn't for the ms games i would not need windows,so sad.would it be possible for companies to create Linux versions of their games or would it be too much to ask.the Linux community seems to be growing in leaps and bounds,i don't see it changing soon or dropping in popularity.thx again.

I would try Ultimate Edition 2.0 maybe,as it is based on UBUNTU 8.10; the following at the requirments for UBUNTU 8.10

Desktop & Laptop Server
Required Recommended
Processor 300 MHz(x86) 700 MHz(x86) 300 MHz (x86)
Memory 64 MB 384 MB* 64 MB
Hard drive capacity 4 GB 8 GB 500 MB
Video card VGA @ 640x480 VGA @ 1280×1224 VGA @ 640×480
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby frostybear » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 am

thank you for all the help much appreciated :D
frostybear
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby drama » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:47 am

Actually the problem most likely isnt that Ultimate Edition wont run on it. Its probobally an issue with 32bit (x86) vs 64bit (x64/AMD64). The P4 is a 32bit chip so you need a 32bit operating system. The 32bit (x86) flavor of any version of ultimate edition should run on that pc. Do you remember if you downloaded x86 or x64?
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master