Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Could somebody answer my last questions?-[SOLVED]

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.5

Could somebody answer my last questions?-[SOLVED]

Postby Lynwood » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:49 am

Hello,

Could an appropriately knowledgeable person answer the questions in the last paragraph of my last post under the Subject 'Ultimate Edition 2.5 download?'. I'm very interested in them. Thanks.

Btw, who's bright idea was it to lable me a Ultimate Edition knowledgeable person? I'm totally new to Ultimate Edition, not very technically capable, and just wanting to get as nearly totally off proprietary software as possible with a Debian based distro. And I'm interested in exploring the various DEs and their native apps to learn which I prefer.
Lynwood
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition KDE4

Re: Could somebody answer my last questions?

Postby Uffe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:47 am

Lynwood wrote:Hello,
Btw, who's bright idea was it to lable me a Ultimate Edition knowledgeable person? I'm totally new to Ultimate Edition,

The label - as you call it - under your name is changing automatic according to the number of posts you make in here ;)
Uffe

Ubuntu minimal w/ Mate desktop 64bit
Asrock N68-GE3 UCC - AMD X4 640 - 4 Gb Kingston ram
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 60 Gb + 500 Gb WD sATA HD

Ultimate Edition 2.9 64bit
Asrock 2core 1333-2.66G - 2 Gb Kingston ram
750 Gb Samsung WD sATA HD
Plextor DVD-RW - Asus 24" fladskærm

If your Danish, try http://www.linux-abc.dk to share your knowledge and questions
Uffe

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Lynwood » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 am

Oh. Ok. Thanks. I just respond to others' responses to my questions.

Now, how about those questions?
Lynwood
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby cowboy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:57 pm

Just coming to the forum is making you more informative, and welcome to Ultimate Edition.
Post anything you want to know...someone will answer, even your question's count as a post..
As you learn...you will be able to help others,,it's not the quantity of the post's, but the quality..... ;)
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Lynwood » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Here are the questions that I wanted answered and still do.

I'm wondering why TheeMahn, I assume, wanted to create a kitchen-sink version of Ubuntu. Surely, it isn't necessary for gaming; why couldn't one use whichever DE s/he most liked? Isn't the hardware what's most important for that purpose? For whatever the reason, I appreciate it. I've wanted a SuSE-like, Ubuntu (Debian)-based distro for a long time so I could log out of a DE and then into another one so as to compare them and their native apps at will without having to reboot into an entirely other distro, taking up that extra space. So, Ultimate Edition appears to have turned out to be just what I've wanted.

My only remaining question is how well integrated it is. SUSE has done a magnificent job. But Kubuntu is a mess from what I've heard/read. So, Ub's being a Gnome-based distro from the start and Canonical's not supporting KDE, at least directly, Kubuntu has struggled from its inception and remains pretty far behind in its integratiion. And I've read that the new, 4 series of KDE still has development problems itself, making a really functional KDE-based distro that much harder to make really functional and stable. Hence my wondering how well it plays in Ultimate Edition. And Xfce? Is LXDE included?
Lynwood
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby billhedrick » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm wondering why TheeMahn, I assume, wanted to create a kitchen-sink version of Ubuntu.

I am not TheeMann but I think he did a great job with it, it works solidly and if I need an app, it's probably aready there

My only remaining question is how well integrated it is. SUSE has done a magnificent job. But Kubuntu is a mess from what I've heard/read. So, Ub's being a Gnome-based distro from the start and Canonical's not supporting KDE, at least directly, Kubuntu has struggled from its inception and remains pretty far behind in its integratiion. And I've read that the new, 4 series of KDE still has development problems itself, making a really functional KDE-based distro that much harder to make really functional and stable. Hence my wondering how well it plays in Ultimate Edition. And Xfce? Is LXDE included?

Answered some of this in the other thread this morning. Odd number Ultimate Edition releases have Gnome, KDE, XFCE interfaces, the even numbers have only Gnome. LXDE is not included, but there is an easy to find thread here about my install of it.
I am not a huge fan of KDE4, but it seems pretty good here. XFCE is real solid and LXDE installed easily and runs smoothly for me.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby cowboy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:33 pm

billhedrick wrote:
I'm wondering why TheeMahn, I assume, wanted to create a kitchen-sink version of Ubuntu.

I am not TheeMann but I think he did a great job with it, it works solidly and if I need an app, it's probably aready there

Answered some of this in the other thread this morning. Odd number Ultimate Edition releases have Gnome, KDE, XFCE interfaces, the even numbers have only Gnome. LXDE is not included, but there is an easy to find thread here about my install of it.

I am not a huge fan of KDE4, but it seems pretty good here. XFCE is real solid and LXDE installed easily and runs smoothly for me.

I am in LXDE now....there is alot of reasons some OS's are not included.....main one I believe is the file size...in 2.5 86 bit ..my computer screams...Gnome....also does good with the other's.....not a big fan of KDE...but Red_team is the expert there...find what you like...learn it and then you can play.... ;)
To get LXDE open a terminal and
Code: Select all
sudo aptitude install lxde
now that is only on your own behave...still working with it myself, be warned you can bork you install......
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby deate » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:35 pm

"I'm wondering why TheeMahn, I assume, wanted to create a kitchen-sink version of Ubuntu"
Ok, here's the deal... there is nothing more of a turn off for someone who is new to Linux than having to figure out how to get most of the programs the vast majority of computer users use all the time...then tracking down what works with a particular version of a Debian based distro...so, Ultimate Edition! Most anything that you could need to use your computer for is already here...and works..because Thee has made sure (along with alpha and beta testers)that when you install Ultimate Edition you can start doing what you want from the start... If you will spend some time here, you'll see most of the problems are hardware related questions, which usually get resolved...very seldom do you see any questions about why some program doesn't work...and the other important thing is that Thee listens to what his users want...and has added many programs on this basis, making sure they work...so is it a Giant all inclusive distro???? you bet!!! But most users will be hard pressed to find anything else they need to do most of their daily tasks...hope you enjoy it!!!
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby Lynwood » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:11 pm

Well, thank you all. I haven't checked this thread for quite a while because I haven't received an email notification of further answers. I came to check and ... behold! ... all of my questions have been answered. Thanks to all of you. I appreciate knowing that.
Lynwood
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.5