Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

supreme smeg up

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.5

supreme smeg up

Postby markusmunch » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Ah well, looks like the honeymoon period is over with this particular distro. Restarted to day, having changed nothing and I cannot get further than the GDM "throbber" prior to the login. AFAIK there haven't been any updates installed since last stable working condition and I have changed only superficial theming and installed Thee's 2.20 version of GDM since installing Ultimate Edition a week or so ago (so no tinkering on my part! ;) ) Will edit later with precise details of what shows when trying to boot. Understand that these details are sketchy but really keen to find out why this has happened before fresh install. Any help 'preciated muchly.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride"
markusmunch
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: supreme smeg up

Postby dathem » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:48 pm

Hello, It is possible that nothing is wrong and that your computer system was doing a forced fsck; UBUNTU decided to remove the notification, so you have no idea at the time why the system looks like it froze or something like that. The computer will do this procedure every 30 boots, did you restart your system this many times? Depending on your computer and the size of the HD, it may take awhile to complete the fsck. Below is a recent HOW TO from JohnnyG. Yesterday I thought my computer was going down the tubes, but then it finished booting up and then I seen the post below from JohnnyG. Bingo mine did a fsck check at that startup but I couldn't tell since UBUNTU remove the notificiation! I know they wanted to speed up the boot process but I wonder how many people try to restart the computers when this happens??

How to check for next forced fsck

New postby JOHNNYG » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:20 pm
Hey all ! you Know that sinking feeling you get when you fire up your rig and it gets so far and hangs, :o :shock: :x only to find that fsck is being forced !! :roll: Well here is a way to check and see how many boots till next forced fsck :D

Install showfsck in Ubuntu

sudo apt-get install showfsck

This will complete the installation

Using showfsck

If you want to see the number of reboots before next forced fsck using the following command

sudo showfsck

output looks similar to the following

15/30 mount(s) until fsck for /dev/disk/by-uuid/edadb298-aae6-4549-b5dc-55c6184fdbc4
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby JOHNNYG » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Your system is more than likely doing a forced file system check, After so many boots this will happen, I find how many time you boot until this happens is about 20-40 boots, Drop to rescue mode in grub and as Ultimate goes through the "text" boot it will stop and you will see "drive has been mounted "X" amount of times fsck forced" and you will see a tumbling cursor at the bottom of the screen , Let that do its thing , when fsck has finished rescue GUI will pop-up "resume normal boot" let that do its thing, Your box should reboot , or, You might have to log in at command line, So login, Password then type sudo reboot ,and your good to go until next forced fsck about 20- 40 boot-ups ! :ugeek:
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Postby markusmunch » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks so much for the speedy response peeps; doubtless the quickest I've ever had on any ubuntu forum <BREW> I only wish I'd checked back on here before doing a clean install! :twisted: :-) Oh well, 60 mins tops and it's back how it should be :D Looks like the distro divorce lawyers won't be needed. Cheers again!
markusmunch
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby dathem » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Hello, Your Welcome!! We are here to help, I am unemployed so I usually have plenty of free time to log on and check to see if I can help someone. I hope to start a new job next week, part time but a job at least. Oh well doing a clean install again isn't a bad thing if you encounter a problem and have no other options, but now you know, check here first and wait to see if someone comes to your aid. Which I am sure someone will, as there are people all over the world registered here and using Ultimate Edition!! Hope you continue to use and enjoy Ultimate Edition!!
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby markusmunch » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Best of luck with your job interview, I know unemployment even better then I know fresh ubuntu reinstalls and unemployment definitely sucks more!
Brightest Blessings
markusmunch
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Clueless » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:59 am

markusmunch wrote:Oh well, 60 mins tops and it's back how it should be :D Looks like the distro divorce lawyers won't be needed. Cheers again!

Strange, I thought I answered this post. Seems to have dissapeared?? Maybe I didn't submit.
Only wanted to say; Hello markasmunch, me old china <BREW> . As soon as I saw the thread subject I knew it to be another Brit. ;)
Don't get a divorce yet! Stick with it, it's worth it.
Laptop; Acer - Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2Ghz, 3G DDR2 Ram, Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64, Western 250G SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS, Blu-Ray Optical Drive
Docked; Maxtor 500G HD, Creative 24bit Sound Card, NAD 3240PE Amp, Cyrus 781 Speakers

Nothing is true, everything is permissible - Hassan bin Sabbah
Clueless
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby markusmunch » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:43 am

Strange, I thought I answered this post. Seems to have dissapeared?? Maybe I didn't submit.
Only wanted to say; Hello markasmunch, me old china <BREW> . As soon as I saw the thread subject I knew it to be another Brit. ;)
Don't get a divorce yet! Stick with it, it's worth it.[/quote]

Watcha Clueless, which part of our benighted little island do you hail from?
markusmunch
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby JOHNNYG » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:47 am

Is it a LONG island ! :D
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Postby Clueless » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:21 am

JOHNNYG wrote:Is it a LONG island ! :D

Well it seems quite long to us, wouldn't wanna walk it (though admittedly some have!) . But no, to an American it's rather small. ;)

markusmunch wrote:.....Watcha Clueless, which part of our benighted little island do you hail from?

Salisbury, Wiltshire. So I have to admit the Cockney slang was rather misplaced. :D
Laptop; Acer - Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2Ghz, 3G DDR2 Ram, Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64, Western 250G SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS, Blu-Ray Optical Drive
Docked; Maxtor 500G HD, Creative 24bit Sound Card, NAD 3240PE Amp, Cyrus 781 Speakers

Nothing is true, everything is permissible - Hassan bin Sabbah
Clueless
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.5