Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

CPU sluggish-How do I adjust it? [SOLVED]

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.5

CPU sluggish-How do I adjust it? [SOLVED]

Postby D1Knight » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Sluggish CPU=choppy video and slower responsiveness :?: This has been an ongoing problem for sometime (was tolerating it, up until now). :roll:

I ran cat /proc/cpuinfo and it reported 600MHz (for a 1700MHz Intel M laptop). Is there any option I can change to fix this, or a way to use the command line to set it to back 1700MHz?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks. :)
Last edited by D1Knight on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Re: CPU sluggish-How do I adjust it?

Postby Cell » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:37 pm

I could be wrong,but I'm thinking it has more to do with your xorg driver.Did it update?What version are you running?
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby D1Knight » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:17 am

Cell wrote:I could be wrong,but I'm thinking it has more to do with your xorg driver.Did it update?What version are you running?

Hi Cell, thanks for your response. :) The xorg driver versions are: Ultimate Edition 1.9 version xorg 1:7.3+10ubuntu10.2 and Ultimate Edition 2.5 version xorg 1:7.4+3ubuntu10. OK, I re-ran cat /proc/cpuinfo, Ultimate Edition 1.9 the same 600MHz, but Ultimate Edition 2.5 shows 1700MHz :?: :?

Just to be clear, the sluggishness is not just for video, but for example: opening/closing windows (not painfully slow, just not snappy). When I ran Windoze XP (it has been a while, don't want to go back to it.) ;) windows opened/closed almost instantaneous.

I do believe the bottom line is, I just want to be able to use the CPU at it's full potential, without short changing myself (or making laptop too hot).

Thanks again in advance, for any more advice you may have. :) Have a great week.Peace
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Moebius » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:17 am

Hi D1Knight
I have a different take on the situation.
You have mentioned you are running an 'M' class processor in your laptop. 'M' class processors are designed to run at slower speeds to conserve battery life. This functionality can be controlled in one of two places. The BIOS would be the first place I would look. On some laptops, the BIOS may have an option to tell it to run at full power no matter what - giving you your speed back. Alternatively, in Ultimate Edition have a look at your power features/battery features and make sure you are running on Full Power (Windows normally has it in the control panel).
Have a look see and let us know how you go.

(Same answer on Ultimate Edition Oz).

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Cell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:38 am

i just noticed the Cpufreqd daemon isn't installed on my fresh (about 4 hours ago) 2.5 os....tho its not a lappy you might see if its installed on yours?Might help,but I think its more of a power daemon for the battery....could be wrong tho.

edit: take a look at your swamp in system monitor,and make sure its not being used to much.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby D1Knight » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 am

Moebius wrote:Hi D1Knight
I have a different take on the situation.
You have mentioned you are running an 'M' class processor in your laptop. 'M' class processors are designed to run at slower speeds to conserve battery life. This functionality can be controlled in one of two places. The BIOS would be the first place I would look. On some laptops, the BIOS may have an option to tell it to run at full power no matter what - giving you your speed back. Alternatively, in Ultimate Edition have a look at your power features/battery features and make sure you are running on Full Power (Windows normally has it in the control panel).
Have a look see and let us know how you go.

(Same answer on Ultimate Edition Oz).

Cheers.

Hi Moebius. :) I tried your suggestions. PhoenixBIOS, has no settings to adjust for the power. :( Power management in GNOME, looks OK (Should I be looking in another location?). Thank you again for your assistance. :) I appreciate you and everyone with Ultimate Edition. Have a great week! Peace

(I'll post this same response at Ultimate Edition Oz, for anyone else that may have a similar situation.)
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby D1Knight » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:51 am

Cell wrote:i just noticed the Cpufreqd daemon isn't installed on my fresh (about 4 hours ago) 2.5 os....tho its not a lappy you might see if its installed on yours?Might help,but I think its more of a power daemon for the battery....could be wrong tho.

edit: take a look at your swamp in system monitor,and make sure its not being used to much.

Cell, me neither, on Ultimate Edition 1.9 or 2.5. Now on Ultimate Edition 1.9 I have what is called Powernowd installed by default (Ubuntu officially supported). Powernowd, is according to description better suited for my Intel Pentium M CPU.

My Ultimate Edition 1.9 is set up with no swap (2GB RAM). The RAM averages 16-27%-maximum around 40%.
My Ultimate Edition 2.5 is setup with swap 4.9GB. The RAM tends to average and max the same as Ultimate Edition 1.9 (Oddly enough in 2.5, I still sometimes use about 0.5-1.0% of swap. Never maxing out RAM tho!?)

I thank you, kindly. :)
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby D1Knight » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:54 am

Blackwolf wrote:Right click on panel>Add to Panel>CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor

Once it's on the panel, left click and select your desired performance level ?? :D

Posted to OZ too ;)

Hi Blackwolf, I gave your suggestion a go, thank you. :) Ultimate Edition 1.9's version of CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor, does not have left click. :( Ultimate Edition 2.5's version worked as you had suggested. :)

Sigh...I tried different performance levels and not too dramatic of differences between them, except the fan turns on more often (to be expected). :|

Conclusion (for now, unless any other suggestions), I believe the default setting (On demand) seems best, at least for my type of CPU. I thank you again to everyone involved. :) Peace.

*Posted on OZ as well*
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby D1Knight » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:43 am

OK, I hope this is able to help someone else as well. :D This has some very useful command line instructions. :)

Thanks to Moebius for the link. You rock! :)

http://embraceubuntu.com/2005/11/04/ena ... y-scaling/
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Moebius » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:13 pm

You're very welcome D1Knight. ;)

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic