Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Replace Ultimate Edition with a different distro without losing settings

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.5

Replace Ultimate Edition with a different distro without losing settings

Postby gftd » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm

I'm new to Linux (just a few days), but I have successfully installed Ultimate Edition on a dual-boot (Vista) HP laptop with separate partitions for swap and home.

At this point I think I'd like to replace Ultimate Edition with a more vanilla Linux version, probably regular Ubuntu. This is not a criticism of UE--I just think that it might be easier for me to learn on a system that has fewer choices. I didn't realize what Ultimate Edition was until after I installed it.

Since I have home in a separate partition, I believe that it's possible to change to a different distro without losing my settings. Assuming that this is correct, can somebody provide or point me to step-by-step directions for accomplishing this? Search results on this topic haven't provided me with enough information to proceed with confidence.

Thanks in advance...
A) Dual-Boot Ultimate Edition 2.8, Vista Business SP2; HP Pavilion dv9500t (Laptop)
CPU: Intel(R) Core2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz; RAM: 4GB;
Video: nVidia GeForce 8600M GS 512MB
Disk Drives: 1 x 120GB , 1 x 250GB; Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW
B) Dual-Boot Ubuntu 10.10, Windows 7 Home Premium; HP G70-463CL (Laptop)
CPU: Intel(R) Core2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz;RAM: 4GB
Video: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Disk Drives: 1 x 300; Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW
C) XP SP3; ASUS P4C80-Deluxe Motherboard (Desktop)
CPU: Intel(R) Core2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz; RAM: 4GB
Video: Radeon 9600 128MB
Disk Drives: 1 x 37GB 5 x 250GB; Super Multi 22X DVD+/-RW
D) NAS
Buffalo Terastation HD-H1.0TGL/R5; Disk Drives: 4 x 250GB
gftd
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Replace Ultimate Edition with a different distro without los

Postby TexasMike » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:40 pm

gftd wrote:I'm new to Linux (just a few days), but I have successfully installed Ultimate Edition on a dual-boot (Vista) HP laptop with separate partitions for swap and home.

At this point I think I'd like to replace Ultimate Edition with a more vanilla Linux version, probably regular Ubuntu. This is not a criticism of Ultimate Edition--I just think that it might be easier for me to learn on a system that has fewer choices. I didn't realize what Ultimate Edition was until after I installed it.

Since I have home in a separate partition, I believe that it's possible to change to a different distro without losing my settings. Assuming that this is correct, can somebody provide or point me to step-by-step directions for accomplishing this? Search results on this topic haven't provided me with enough information to proceed with confidence.

Thanks in advance...

gftd,
What settings are you interested in saving? It would help to know just what you're trying to "save" as not all "settings" for the OS are located in your /home directory/partition. I would also need some specific information about your current configuration - ie. Is the system set up as a "Multi-Boot" system; what alternative storage area would you have available for storing a backup of your current /home directory/partition...

It would be a good idea to give your system specs and general configuration in a signature file that can be created in the User Control Panel option on this forum. That would make it easier for us to answer your questions or provide assistance with problems you may have. ;)
Shop PC:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX TUF (The Ultimate Force) R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4GHz Bulldozer Eight Core Black Edition
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengance Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
Video: ATI 7770HD GHZ Edition 2GB PCIe 3.0
Hard Drives: Seagate 2TB, Seagate 500GB, Maxtor 500GB
SSD Drives: OCZ-Vertex4 128GB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
DVD Drive: Plextor PX-L890SA
Power Suipply: RaidMax Modular 1200Watt

Home:
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3ghZ
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video: nVdia GTX650
Drives:1TB SATAIII, 2ea 500GB SATAIII,
SSD: Samsung EV840 mSATa 250GB
CD/DVD: Plextor PL-890SA
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T260
MultiBoot OS: Ultimate Edition 3.4.2x64, 4.2x64-Lite, WIN7x64, WIN8.1x64
Power Supply: Corsair 850Watt
TexasMike
Site Admin

Postby gftd » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:46 pm

Texas Mike,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I guess I'm interested in saving as many settings that I can, assuming that this will save me time configuring the new distro.

Current configuration--
Dual-boot with Vista--partition info (from GParted) is as follows:
/dev/sda1 ntfs (Vista) 82GB total, 39GB unused
/dev/sda2 extended 2GB
----/dev/sda5 linux-swap 2GB
/dev/sda3 ext4 mount point / 11.5GB total 1.5GB unused
/dev/sda4 ext4 mount point /home 16.7GB total 10GB unused

Second drive w/one Vista partition:
/dev/sdb1 ntfs 187GB total 92GB unused

Additional alternative storage areas: two other computers (One XP, one Windows 7); various 4GB USB flash drives; Terastation NAS with lots of space available.

gftd
A) Dual-Boot Ultimate Edition 2.8, Vista Business SP2; HP Pavilion dv9500t (Laptop)
CPU: Intel(R) Core2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz; RAM: 4GB;
Video: nVidia GeForce 8600M GS 512MB
Disk Drives: 1 x 120GB , 1 x 250GB; Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW
B) Dual-Boot Ubuntu 10.10, Windows 7 Home Premium; HP G70-463CL (Laptop)
CPU: Intel(R) Core2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz;RAM: 4GB
Video: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Disk Drives: 1 x 300; Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW
C) XP SP3; ASUS P4C80-Deluxe Motherboard (Desktop)
CPU: Intel(R) Core2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz; RAM: 4GB
Video: Radeon 9600 128MB
Disk Drives: 1 x 37GB 5 x 250GB; Super Multi 22X DVD+/-RW
D) NAS
Buffalo Terastation HD-H1.0TGL/R5; Disk Drives: 4 x 250GB
gftd
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby DarkChild » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:43 pm

Since you've already created a home partition I am thinking that your more looking along the lines of keep your partition file system, swap and home directory intact. If such is the case then, you are all good to go ahead a proceed with your new os installation. All you need to do is to select the partition that you've installed Ultimate Edition into and overwrite it with the new one. If such is not the case you need to specify otherwise!!
CPU Type: TripleCore AMD Athlon II X3 440, 2982 MHz (15 x 199)
Motherboard: ECS GF8200A (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce 8200, AMD K10
System Memory: 6GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Video Adapter: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4350 1GB
Audio Adapter: ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV710/730/740 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP78 - High Definition Audio Controller
1 WD Caviar Green 1TB HD SATA
2 Sata Local Disk: 250GB/200GB
2 IDE HD: 80GB
Hanns.G 22" Wide Screen Monitor
Speakers: Logitech LS21 7 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System
ENCORE 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
LG CD/DVD Writer 22X
BIOS Type: AMI (05/19/09)

DarkChild
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby cgrimm9 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:58 pm

I say have all the power in what you want to to try out thats the best thing about linux. just to give you a little advice. I would install virtual box. and try different distros on that. I pretty sure if you where to stay on linux. ulatamate edition. is what I like the best. again its ubuntu. just better visuals. I do like ubuntu netbook remix theme.
cgrimm9
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.5