Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

No XFCE in 2.5

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.5

Re: No XFCE in 2.5

Postby dcorleone » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:41 pm

I'm in the exact same boat. I downloaded this cuz I wanted the XFCE desktop and it's not there. Same symptoms. Three entries for Gnome, one for KDE and one for xterm, no XFCE listed.

Tried adding it via Ultamatix, didn't work. Shows as installed, still not there. Uninstalled it the same way and tried the above-listed command-line to get it. Again, still not there. Checked the MD5 sum and it matches, so it's a clean download.

I'm running an AMD 955 Quad and installed the 64-bit version of Ultimate Edition 2.5. Any suggestions? I could try doing it manually, package by package, but I haven't used Linux is a LONG time, so I was kinda hoping to have an XFCE desktop that was already a little bit pre-configured for me.

Thx,
Don

Update: Tried installing Enlightenment via Ultamatix too. Spent considerably more time downloading and installing, but again, it doesn't show up at the login screen as an option. Still just 3 Gnomes, KDE and xterm.

Also tried installing XFCE via Synaptic with the same results.
dcorleone
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby dan j » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Well checked my MD5. All appears to be in order. I also installed Enlightenment from Ultamatix. I also have no login for that. Just 3 Gnomes one KDE one xterm and Afterstep. Afterstep was install through synaptic and works fine.

I guess i should also point out that i run an AMD dual core proc.on an Asus board.
dan j
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby dcorleone » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:43 pm

dan j wrote:Well checked my MD5. All appears to be in order. I also installed Enlightenment from Ultamatix. I also have no login for that. Just 3 Gnomes one KDE one xterm and Afterstep. Afterstep was install through synaptic and works fine.

I guess i should also point out that i run an AMD dual core proc.on an Asus board.

Are you also running the 64-bit version of Ultimate Edition? Maybe that's our problem.
dcorleone
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Cell » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:55 pm

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmi ... bug/398300

Sounds like the same issue.

If you go to /usr/share/xsessions you should see KDE,ect .desktop file.(least I think its the same in Karmic) if its not there then you know what the problem is....it has to be added manually.Hence the bug...possibly.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby dcorleone » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:23 pm

Folder's there and it matches my login options. Failsafe Gnome, 3 other GNOME's, KDE, xterm and guest-restricted. So what's the issue exactly? Is it a permissions thing? I remember having this same problem with 2.4. Tried adding XFCE to that and it would never show up in that either. Forgive me for being a n00bie, but this is the first time I've run into this. Usually when you add an evironment to most distros, it just shows up on it's own. I don't really know the mechanics of how that comes to be.

Thx,
Don
dcorleone
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Blackie » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:19 pm

I've had the same issue with XFCE not showing in the list with 2.5 64bit. Yet, I installed LXDE and it does show in the list. :?:
Blackie
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby maddmike » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:56 pm

I don't know why it happened, but I know how I fixed it. It seems that the xfce .desktop file is missing from /usr/share/xsessions. Just so happens there is one for kdm in /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/sessions. So, open a terminal and repeat after me ...

Code: Select all
sudo cp /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/sessions/xfce4.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/xfce4.desktop

... will create the xfce entry on the gdm sessions menu. To remove the extra GNOME entries go to the xsessions directory and check its contents. Then remove everything except one of each gnome.desktop, guest-restricted.desktop, xfce4.desktop, gnome-failsafe.desktop, kde.desktop, and xterm.desktop.

cd /usr/share/xsessions
ls
sudo rm -f EXTRA-FILE

Hope this helps, MaddMike
DESKTOP: Mjolnir
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P [AM3/DDR3]
CPU:
UNLOCKED & OVERCLOCKED AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1GHz ---> B50 X4 @ 3.71GHz
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500A
Mem:
OVERCLOCKED OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 @ 1412MHz
HDD [OS]: WD VelociRaptor 150GB 16MB Cache 10,000 RPM
HDD [DATA]: [4] WD Caviar 500GB SATA 7,200 RPM (RAID 1+0) == 1TB @ 4x read/2x write
VIDEO: [2] MSI Radeon HD 5770 1GB Crossfired
CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Two
PSU: Antec True Power 650W
DVD: Pioneer Black DVR-218L SATA DVD-R/+R, LabelFlash
Monitor 1: ASUS VH242H 23.6" 16:9 @ 1920x1080 HDMI
Monitor 2: Mitsubishi 65" DLP 1080p HDTV
LAPTOP: MSI CX700 17.3"
Dual Boot: Ultimate Edition 2.5 64 bit & Windows 7 Premium 64 bit
maddmike
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby DarkChild » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:06 am

maddmike wrote:I don't know why it happened, but I know how I fixed it. It seems that the xfce .desktop file is missing from /usr/share/xsessions. Just so happens there is one for kdm in /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/sessions. So, open a terminal and repeat after me ...

sudo cp /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/sessions/xfce4.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/xfce4.desktop

... will create the xfce entry on the gdm sessions menu. To remove the extra GNOME entries go to the xsessions directory and check its contents. Then remove everything except one of each gnome.desktop, guest-restricted.desktop, xfce4.desktop, gnome-failsafe.desktop, kde.desktop, and xterm.desktop.

cd /usr/share/xsessions
ls
sudo rm -f EXTRA-FILE

Hope this helps, MaddMike

Nice share for the gang. Thanks for posting ;)
CPU Type: TripleCore AMD Athlon II X3 440, 2982 MHz (15 x 199)
Motherboard: ECS GF8200A (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce 8200, AMD K10
System Memory: 6GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Video Adapter: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4350 1GB
Audio Adapter: ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV710/730/740 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP78 - High Definition Audio Controller
1 WD Caviar Green 1TB HD SATA
2 Sata Local Disk: 250GB/200GB
2 IDE HD: 80GB
Hanns.G 22" Wide Screen Monitor
Speakers: Logitech LS21 7 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System
ENCORE 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
LG CD/DVD Writer 22X
BIOS Type: AMI (05/19/09)

DarkChild
U.E. God