Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ubuntu thinks my screen is bigger then it is LOL HELP !

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.5

Re: Ubuntu thinks my screen is bigger then it is LOL HELP !

Postby JOHNNYG » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi ADPdirty ! Happy new year ! What i have to say (IMO) you most likely wont Appreciate As i see it you have (At THIS POINT ) 3 options
#1 Go with "out the box" Drivers "(the best as they are )
#2 Try (in vein) to make your ATI GPU submit!
#3 Dig into your pocket and buy a new GPU ! (can u say Nvida)
I say this because I run ATI 9600/With duel outs and have had nothing but pain, heartache, and sorrow ! As far as your your Ubuntu "install" bypassing "live" don't know ! but I have found from personal experience that your optical drive is more than likely the culprit ! ,(Or a "HOT" machine) for slow or no load instances ! This is probably not what you want to hear ! but from my end (I install each Ultimate Edition no less than 10 to 20 times !) trying every which way to kill it !( It can be done ! ("Only by operator error") I have found that over thinking the processes or hardware Mal function is the "root" of all issues, Not Ultimate Edition, Though it is possible, but not probable, with the new servers, such as http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 2863.shtml
providing new band width it might behoove you to "burn" a new Ultimate Of your choice just to be sure Let your rig cool overnight and start fresh, if this works you will know a hot machine was(is )Your issue, This has happed to me, or I wouldn't even post it ! If that is the case your "optidrive" needs to be bumped up ! :ugeek: Disclaimer : I could be wrong, or mistaken! :D ;)
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Cell » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Well...that can be a few things....more than what I will list.

1: grub is having a problem with raid,but I see your not running raid.
2: Geparted is goofing around with you.Seen it before...even happened to me.The fix is to use another partition editor that has support for ext4.This requires a few extra steps,and another cd.
3: Another one that comes to mind is if you use the auto selection in the install process it has known to error out.If you haven't make your partitions manually.
4: A step that is usually skipped,but is most important to a error free system is checking the hash of the iso that was download,and then using a burner app that verifies the dvd or cd.

If you already did #4 then try to install again with only the bare hardware...i.e. no external drives ect.(if any are installed).

I know it sounds like a real pain in the butt(I admit it can be),and I commend you on your diligence.Keep in mind as I mentioned we are in a transitional stage with Ubuntu.

#3 Dig into your pocket and buy a new GPU ! (can u say Nvida)

This is actually very good advice.Its blunt,and correct.For years I've been using Linux,and never bought anything other than ATI.For all those years I had always fought a downhill battle with ATI.Tho I usually end up with it working...it wasted to much of my time.

Cell
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby ADPdirty » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:01 pm

#1 thats what i did
#2 dude i dont even know how to read text files in linux, nothing is obvious to me
#3 I chose ATI because nvidia crashing to much when using 3D applications such as modeling/rendering/video apps.
Nvidia requires (in most cases) game and app profile due to its inability to handle them all without issues with default settings. I had Nvidia for 2 years and every time i give it another try it failed. my ATI change is permanent for good reasons. With Nvidia its always constant driver updates because there is one thing they cant do before releasing hadrware, that is to test it before sell sell sell.

What is optical drive ? and HOT machine is not the case, its cool.
Install 10-20 minutes ? hmm this is how long it takes for me to load Live session and get through partitioned before i can final click INSTALL and my computer is not the slowest in the world.

Thanks for informative reply
Firefox+Adblock+MyWot makes Windows 7 obsolete "OS"
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.0

Postby JOHNNYG » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:56 pm

The post's that I make are from "my experiences" And meant to inform,hopefully help, Your machine is not my machine , your install is not my install , As I am sure you are aware there are many variables In every "LINUX" install, And no two installs (even on the same machine, same distro,same disk) are alike ! This is a variable we all have to embrace or be haunted by !,Experimentation is the crux of the biscuit ! At some point you will find a happy medium at best, At this point with ATI drivers all "I" (as well as cell and countless others can say) Good luck ! if you come up with something WE are all ears ! :D If we find something we will be the first to let you know !
Optical drive: Your DVD's laser may run hot, and after awhile deform the focal lens, hence not giving an accurate read ,lasers run very hot and sometimes if left to run (no fault of yours) the lens will become deformed, it will burn, and play cd's dvd,(To an extent) but when it comes to reading bit's and Bite's It just wont do it , as is the same with some older DVDR'S They will burn, but wont read There burn!
Suggestion, If possible try another DVD unit, (in your machine) ,Try your "burn" DVD In another machine, :ugeek:

Please don't get me wrong I am not trying to be condescending , I only want to see you have the best experience with Ultimate Edition , And I only want to "try" and help I hope sincerely you can find answers to these issues, we will all do our best to lend a hand and try to resolve these issues, It has been my (our) great privilege to have "cell" on the team he is just fantastic when it comes to these kind of things ! I don't want to hang the responsibility entirely on him but he usually is the cutting edge in these matters, hopefully he or one of your (our) many brethren will come up with the solution ! ;)
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Postby ADPdirty » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:42 am

ok how does overheated lens causing ubuntu think my monitor is 50" instead of 47" ? that i dont understand :)
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby JOHNNYG » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:43 pm

ADPdirty wrote:ok how does overheated lens causing ubuntu think my monitor is 50" instead of 47" ? that i dont understand :)

I was addressing your slow loading, or "takes a long time to load" comment, I apologize if I fell "offtopic" ;)
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
Team Leader at
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Postby ADPdirty » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:25 pm

sorry for misunderstanding :)
I remember it takes exactly the same amount of time to install Windows XP as it did the day when i bought this DVD RW.
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby jms1277 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:57 pm

ADPdirty i have read through your post and the people trying to help you and first thing i want to say is you IMO have been rude and childish to everyone that is taking time out of their day to help you. you claim that you are not getting any help but there are 4 pages of post trying to help you be a little more respectful to the people they have treated you better and tried to help you alot more than you would get from microsoft and the winblows so called experts get paid to do it the posters on here do not also you are shooting down ideas from highly skilled Linux users without trying them and admit that you dont know how to even open a text file in Linux arrogance and stupidity cannot and should not be blamed on a operating system to moderators please forgive the rant and feel free to not post or to delete as you wish
jms1277
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby subvet » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:35 am

You might want to start here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
at least you will get a primer on the whole xrandr use

Google comes up with this little tidbit about the watermark:
With the fglrx 8.39.4 driver (or newer), there's a chance you may run into a watermark (similar to the AMD testing watermark) saying that your hardware is unsupported when in fact it is supported. If you run into this unsupported hardware watermark, it's likely that /etc/ati/control is missing. If that's the case for you, try reinstalling the driver or manually copying the control file. The driver contents can be extracted using the --extract argument and the control file is located in common/etc/ati/. If you experience this problem, create a thread in the Phoronix Forums with what distribution you are using and how you had installed the driver initially (and whether adding the control file had removed the watermark).
Other people also had luck downgrading their video driver to one version lower.

This appears to have been a solution at one point, though it means you had to be running the proprietary drivers:
Forcing Desktop Property Settings Using Desktop Properties
If needed, you can force ATI Catalyst™ Control Center to override desktop property settings that are required, or not allowed, by a specific application.
1.From the Graphics menu, click Desktops & Displays. Alternatively, click the Home button in the ATI Catalyst Control Center banner.
2.Click the triangular icon on the desired desktop surface. In the context menu that appears, click Properties. The Desktop Properties page appears.
3.Click the Mode tab, and then click Force. A menu listing all desktop property settings and their associated values appear.
4.In the menu, select the appropriate value for the desired display setting.
5.Click Apply.
The selected setting is applied to your display

Anyway, the best of luck to you.
subvet
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby ADPdirty » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:36 am

It took 4 pages to tell me how to force resolution so i apologize for all those not much related to the problem replies from other guys. This previous reply is exactly what i needed to know and i am sorry i could not ask specific questions due to not knowing anything about linux, even simple things as to adjust sound volume :(
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.5