Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Help with mouse/keyboard/USB problem.

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.4

Help with mouse/keyboard/USB problem.

Postby ramforth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Hello.
Thanks for a truly awesome Linux distro. Have been using it for some time now. But not too long, and I am in no way an experienced Linux user. But I know some basic stuff. But here, my knowledge comes to a rapid end.
My mouse (USB, type Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0) or my keyboard (USB, type Logitech Y-BL49A) or both keep freezing when I am working in Gnome.
I have not examined any particular logs, as I don't know which logs to read, or what to look for.
I have tried SSH'ing in to the machine from a different station, and the halted Gnome/Keyboard/mouse does not stop communications to the machine. Even when the mouse freezes, I can reboot with keyboard shortcuts, and all is back to normal for a while.
There seems to be no order to this problem. It can occur 2 minutes after logging in, or 2 days after logging in. But sooner or later, it will freeze.
Tried changing to a PS/2 mouse and a different keyboard, but that didn't help.

Is there anyone here that have time and interest in such problems that would be willing to help me out a bit?
Please?

regards,
Jo E. Roset :)
ramforth
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Help with mouse/keyboard/USB problem.

Postby dathem » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Hello, I am no expert but I think your problem is not with the mouse or keyboards, as I have 10 computers here with all sorts of combinations of mice, keyboards, usb or not with very few problems. It would help if you list your total system specs, I suspect it might be a memory issue, the more RAM the better. Do you have the 3D compiz effects enabled, how many desktops, how many programs do you have running at the same time; like downloading files while surfing the web and playing music with visual effects enabled??? Most of the time I have very few issues with freezing but when I do, it is usually while playing games, programs that require lots of RAM and/or fast graphics cards.
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby ramforth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:00 pm

The specs will come, but right now I do not have the time, 'cuz I have to look for the specs elsewhere.
But.
Just after posting my last post, I had just Firefox with 6 tabs open. And 1 Desklet (Showing my CPU load and mem load) None of those gages peaked. Not even close.
I run on x64 version.
I have a Intel Core 2 Duo approx 2.3Ghz and 4GB RAM.
Memtests says my RAM is fine.
But here's an observation. It seems to me, that the problem occur more often when webbrowser is running. Either Firefox or Chrome. Makes no difference.
I tried running with all desktop effects turned off, but that did not help. Even if I run from LiveCD I get the error.
I don't think that my system is too slow to handle UE2,4.
I even tried with normal Ubuntu Karmic LiveCD. Same issue there too.
It really bugs me, and I am at a total loss.
:)
Thanks for your help dathem
ramforth
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby ramforth » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:21 am

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.
A little about my computer specs:
Mainboard: Asus P5N-E SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz
PSU: Hiper Type-R 580W
RAM: 4x Kingston DDR2 HyperX PC8500 1GB CL5
Graphics: Asus Nvidia ENGTX260 896M DDR3
Harddrives:
1x Samsung SpinPoint T133 400GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
1x WDC 750GB
1x Samsung 1000GB

Thats about it. I may have some small PCI cards in it from time to time, but not now, and haven't changed anything inside there for a long time.
ramforth
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Time » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:56 am

ramforth wrote:The specs will come, but right now I do not have the time, 'cuz I have to look for the specs elsewhere.
But.
Just after posting my last post, I had just Firefox with 6 tabs open. And 1 Desklet (Showing my CPU load and mem load) None of those gages peaked. Not even close.
I run on x64 version.
I have a Intel Core 2 Duo approx 2.3Ghz and 4GB RAM.
Memtests says my RAM is fine.
But here's an observation. It seems to me, that the problem occur more often when webbrowser is running. Either Firefox or Chrome. Makes no difference.
I tried running with all desktop effects turned off, but that did not help. Even if I run from LiveCD I get the error.
I don't think that my system is too slow to handle UE2,4.
I even tried with normal Ubuntu Karmic LiveCD. Same issue there too.
It really bugs me, and I am at a total loss.
:)
Thanks for your help dathem

I did some reading and there is some problems with firefox I didn't check chrome yet. There is a couple of things you could try. One is to try swiftfox
or you could install the beta firefox

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firefox-3.6

I have read that the beta firefox has helped more................post back and let me know how you make out <BREW>
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
AMD fx 8120
Ati 7970 video card
2 90 gig ocz ssd raid 0 (Windows 7)
Western Digital SATA3 3 tb
Corsair f115 sata 2 ssd (for Ultimate edition)
16 GiGs DDR3
Time

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby ramforth » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:28 am

Upgraded to Firefox 3.6 a few weeks ago.
It has not in any way affected this behaviour.
Just installed Seamonkey, Dooble, Galeon and a few other browsers now. I will try them, but I am not at all convinced that the browser is the reason to the lockups.
But I can't remember if Firefox has been running in all freezes.
Thanks Time. <BREW>
ramforth
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Moebius » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:52 am

Hi ramforth,
Firstly, an observation. If you cannot move the mouse but can still reboot using the keyboard, then your system has not frozen. If your keyboard freezes but mouse keeps working, then again your system has not frozen (well, sort of anyway). During times of a mouse freeze, have you tried unplugging the rodent and then plugging back in? even possibly in another USB port?
Also be aware that if you have plugged in a PS2 mouse into the PC whilst it was switched on, it will not work. A PS2 mouse must be plugged in whilst the PC is switched off.
Here's a suggestion - plug in the USB mouse and PS2 mouse simultaneously, then turn on the PC. Both will work, but lets see if both freeze at the same time...

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Postby ramforth » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi. Thanks for your time, Moebius.
Just a little correction first. I didn't mean that my whole system froze when this happened. I tried to say that I could use rlogin from my fedora box, and that my Ultimate Edition answers fine.
Now.
I have tried all the variations of ports I can think of. Even installed a separate USB 2.0 controller card. Even with the mouse and keyboard on separate buses, or mouse and keyboard alone on one bus helps.
I am now on my third keyboard, and now it seems like it is stable. The keyboard, I mean.
The mouse still freezes, and it does not help to unplug and replug the mouse, even in a different port.
I do know that a PS/2 mouse (or keyboard) does not work if it is plugged in while the PC is operating.
Last, your suggestion.
It seems now, that the experiment is not needed. My keyboard has not had any hangs after I tried my last one.
Now, only the mouse hangs. And I must say, it seems to be more frequent hangs when Firefox is running that not.
I am now using Seamonkey, and my PC has been nice to me for over an hour now. Earlier today, it went out every 10 minutes.
And, please. Do not take me for a total newb when it comes to computing. I just haven't used Linux systems enough to handle this problem.
I do, if I haven't mentioned it already, have the greatest respect for you who are trying to help me on this. I know only how much I value my own spare time, and I want you all to know that I am very happy for your suggestions.
But if I can't figure this out soon, I think I have to try some other distro. Fedora perhaps? Haven't tried that on this computer yet. Might be an idea...
Thanks again. Please feel free to post more suggestions, if you have any. I won't convert just yet, 'cuz I love my Ultimate Edition so much, and really want to keep it! :D
ramforth
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:52 pm

Hello ramforth.

As I can see the USB manager did not detect your mouse right.
This before EDIT the option for the mouse with the buttons.
please look in synaptic and see if this packages install on your machine.
1- mountmanager.
2- usbmount.
3- Mouseemu.
4- Gnome-mount
Admin-Amir

Postby ramforth » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Actually, none of the mentioned packages were installed.
They are installed now.
Thanks!
I will reboot and try it! :D
ramforth
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.4