Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

GRUB2/dual booting questions?Post here please.

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.4

Re: GRUB2/dual booting questions?Post here please.

Postby endrohat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:03 pm

how to restore grub once it is lost?

i have ubuntu installed on my pc.
now i want to install win7on another partition. but i heard that if you install windows after ubuntu your bootloader is lost.i.e rewritten with windows bootloader.
how to get back grub so i can dual boot windows and ubuntu?
endrohat
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Cell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:12 pm

-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Postby dr0z » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:00 am

i will through in my tidbiit of info on this here i had not read this thread before now .. i restored version 8.10 from the 2.1 iso image after which i was thinking that i could just pop in the 2.4 iso and repair grub with the version 1.97 that comes on that .. i couldn't access the ext4 file-system of my original 2.4 install .. i don't know why this was i was running on the cd so i should of at least been able to see it I new that that was were the grub.cfg would be .. dropping to root was not very deffrent as stated earlier in this post a lot of the old grub commands do not work on 1.97 this is disappointing normally a quick
root (hd0,3)
setup (hd0,3)

would of fixed it .. it didn't i searched and googled my butt off never finding anything usfull for my problem.. fortunately I'm still in the test stages of configuring 2.4 so a reinstallation was easer for me ..

i treid the new grub repair iso images .. they dont didnt work for me .. niether did the usb ones .. good idea's all. but not yet ready for the lay person.

it is fixed now .. 2.4 is so lite that it reinstalls in less than 30 min's and just about out of the box is running and working as it was before this snafu..

afrer reinstalling 2.4 i discovered i could now see the ext4 partitions when useing the 2.4 installation disk the reason i could not find the disk before is because it is named something like media/avcDoei156e thats not ecxact letttering but you get the idea ..
Boot: triple boot windows 7 secondary, Ultimate Edition 8.10 64 bit for hdmi compatibility, Ultimate Edition 2.4 64bit primary operating system..
Processor: amd turion duel core 64 bit mobile technology. 2.4
Video: ati radeon hdmi x1200 video card
Sound: ati x1200 sound all integrated
Memory: 3 gig ddr ram
Network: adapters realtek rtl8187se gigabyte wireless , rtl8187 10/100 wired, bluetooth 5.0,

Internet connection: cradle-point mbr1000 wireless broadband router,
Modem: Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO CDMA Modem 3 mbs works great
External hard drives: iomega 4x250 wireless hard drive multi media capable
1 dell insprion xp pro, 1 dell insprion win 2000, 1 Frankenstein 800 mhz win 2000 server, 1 lexmark wireless printer,
dr0z
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:22 am

Hello dr0z.

The best way is to work alone that is correct!!
so here is some more info for you and the users on the site that point to ext4.
some very good help needed to do things on the 9.10.

Ubuntu 9.10 (ext4) Backup with FSArchiver-by Bruno Braga

Some time ago I wrote about creating image backups (at "Ghost" Image backup)https://sites.google.com/a/brunobraga.net/personal/linux-geek/imagebackup, which worked pretty well for me, until now. Just recently installed the new Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala version, which comes with ext4 file system by default, and that is, the partimag-[url]-http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page[/url] application does not support it.

By looking to some forums (here) and the partimage application main page, I decided to give it a try to fsarchiver application-http://www.fsarchiver.org/Main_Page, and seems to be working just great.

So, here is what I did (see also my previous post "Ghost" Image backup):

1) Mount the external storage
This thing you need to do manually, but it is no trouble at all, if you know what you need to do... since I was in this group, it took me a while, hehe...

In my case I am mounting a NTFS drive, so that I can transport files to multiple OS without problems (and over 4GB). Just Mac has issues with NTFS, as the drives are read-only.

Code: Select all
# Create mounting directory
mkdir /mnt/{your drive name}

# Mount the storage
mount.ntfs-3g /dev/{device code} /mnt/{your drive name}

2) Backup your data with fsarchiver application-http://www.fsarchiver.org/QuickStart

Code: Select all
# substitute the drive name by the mounted name in (1)
# check the device that represents your hard drive to backup
fsarchiver -o /mnt/{your drive name}/backup.fsa /dev/{device code} -v -j2 -A

Done!

More detailed instructions on how to use fsarchiver at: http://www.fsarchiver.org/QuickStart
Admin-Amir

Postby Grundair » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Grub 1 is much slower than the legacy GRUB. 40-50 secs for my HP Pavalon to find and load grub. Editing is WAY different, take from me, I made that error!!! This website gives a great step by step in editng, and customising. My grub now uses the current Ultimate Edition 2.4 wallpaper as the grub background. MUCH MUCH Better than the plain text based.

http://maketecheasier.com/mastering-grub-2-the-easy-way/2009/11/19

Cheers!!

Chuck
Edgewood NM
Grundair
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Wolfie Lee » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:05 am

I moved this to a new Ultimate Edition 2.4 topic for lack of response, as I was not sure it really belonged here....hope it's OK....
Last edited by Wolfie Lee on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
OS: Ultimate Edition 4.6 gamers x64; Windows 7 x64 custom Nvidia Black edition; Linux Mint 17.3 MATE x64
MB: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
CPU: AMD FX6300 Black (6x 3.5GHz)
CPU cooler: OCZ Vedetta with replacement Nanoxia Deep Silence 92mm 1400 RPM fan
MEM: 8GB (2x4GB) Ballistix Sport DDRIII 1600; PC3-12800
GPU: XFX Double Dispersion Radeon R7 360P-F22M 1050MHz 2GB GDDR5
OS SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
NO Storage drive (yet)
Optical Drive: LG Super-multi with MODISC capabilities(Model# hidden in new build, not gonna remove it now...lol)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-5183
PS: XFX 650W XXX Edition Grey Modular
Wolfie Lee
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Postby bpollen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Uffe wrote:Grub2 is very slow - at least on my PC - it takes nearly 55 sec. from the first line with "GRUB loading" until I actually can choose what to boot and my HD's working like they were paid for it :!: :!:

I have added a new 160Gb sATA HD and installed 2.4 on it with a 20Gb partition as / and with a 40Gb /Home and reused the swap on the other disk, witch contain Ultimate Edition 2.0 - 2.1 - 2.3 along with WinXP pro (don't use it any more) Mint7, Xubuntu 9.04 - the last two only for test-purposes, don't like either :)
With the "old GRUB" it took only a few sec. before I could choose and with only one dist less than now :(

I wonder if that is because it's new and beta and in time will be faster, or it's something I will have to live with :(

I have had a similar problem. This particular project took an approximately 25 second wait and turned it into about a 1 second wait: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/search?q=grub2&x=0&y=0
44.934157796653814, -93.22175949811935
bpollen

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby g0O » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Hi... I'm here to ask, no shout and scream and... ah, nevamnd. I've been getting used to Ultimate Edition, and being without vista(it's sh*t, sry fo that wrd). But I think I'm starting to suffer withdrawel symptoms...;D, ayou see as I'm a gamer and I havn't had my fix(might even be good for me ;) ).

I installed Ultimate Edition 2.4, following the screens and when it came to partitions, I had xp(first x number of gigs), and vista filling the rest. I deleted the xp one as I have stopped using it long ago. My problem, as you pro's would/might know is that I don't have an option in grub to select vista. Infact, I think my whole microsoft loader was deleted. I've tried the repairing using the vista disc..

My grub isn't 2.xx, its the one that came with Ultimate Edition 2.4. Will reboot and post which one, but I dont think its necessary for what need to help me out. My Vista drive is still there, and is unscathed, please help me to fix/create a loader/get my vista into grub so I can boot it.
Last edited by g0O on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware
Biostar TF560 A2+ Am2
Amd Phenom 9600 Quad Black Edition 2.3GHz
EVGA: Nvidia Geforce 9600GT KO .
Ram: Kingston 1x 2GB DDR2 800
1 WD 80GB hd (2 Partitions for dualbooting OS's)
1 WD 250GB hd

--------------------
OS'S
--------------------
Ultimate Edition 2.4
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
==========================================================================

Life is but a snow-ball rolling down a mountain side... Nothing is set in stone... Live for change, don't live for settling down.
g0O
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby Cell » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:49 am

In the first or second post of this thread I wrote directions on how to restore an M$ boot loader.

Have you took a looky at it yet?

Cell
hardware
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Postby g0O » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks cell, I did indeed read it before I decided to post, but posted anyways as I don't have grub 2(got an earlier version), and just wanted some sort of confirmation..

Thanx much and many times :P
I'll definitely try it, and post my results here, if only on Monday(my bootable disk is in some1 else's hands and I'll get it back on Monday).
================================================================================================

Edit: Here's my results so far:

I have grub 1.97~beta4. The grub menu displays several ubuntu versions(the different updates I assume), even though i only have 1 installed version of linux(UE2.4), along with the memtest etc to choose from. I still have my partition with the working vista on it, but still can't get it booted.

I have booted into the recovery version, and scrolled down to grub update and entered on ok. 1st time it asked me something and I said yes(think it couldnt find update and wanted to look or something, or asked me to update menu). Anyway, I saw the number 2.0, but when I rebooted and held shift there it was saying 1.97... I tried this for all different versions of my ubuntu displayed in the Grub loader menu... no update.
Hardware
Biostar TF560 A2+ Am2
Amd Phenom 9600 Quad Black Edition 2.3GHz
EVGA: Nvidia Geforce 9600GT KO .
Ram: Kingston 1x 2GB DDR2 800
1 WD 80GB hd (2 Partitions for dualbooting OS's)
1 WD 250GB hd

--------------------
OS'S
--------------------
Ultimate Edition 2.4
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
==========================================================================

Life is but a snow-ball rolling down a mountain side... Nothing is set in stone... Live for change, don't live for settling down.
g0O
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.4