Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

GRUB2/dual booting questions?Post here please.

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.4

Re: GRUB2/dual booting questions?Post here please.

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi g0O.

well as you have ask here are some options for you to fix your MBR for vista.
BTW- we The Team have post some tools for fixing the MBR for vista and MS 7,
you can look in search for the "FIXMBR".
So here is the help for you to fix the MBR on MS vista.

http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-fix-vi ... ken-vista/
http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm
http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/
http://www.winvistatips.com/fix-mbr-t116.html

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.
Back to the top
Bootrec.exe options
The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:

* bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
* c:
* cd boot
* attrib bcd -s -h -r
* ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
* bootrec /RebuildBcd

/FixMbr
The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR.
/FixBoot
The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:

* The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
* The boot sector is damaged.
* An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).

/ScanOs
The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista or Windows 7 installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list.
/RebuildBcd
The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD

If your hard drive encounters a serious error (perhaps a failed operating system install, corruption or a virus) then you may get an "Error Loading Operating System" message on boot.

This often means that you have a corrupt Master Boot Record (MBR) which can be fixed with the Vista repair tool. This should be one of the first things done to resolve the above error message, as performing a format and reinstall will cause a loss of data.

First, insert the Vista DVD into the computer and restart it (to start the boot process). You will be asked to press any key to boot from the DVD:

fixmbr1.jpg
fixmbr1.jpg (3.75 KiB) Viewed 7527 times

Then, fill in the language and location options and click Next:

fixmbr2.jpg

Now, click Repair your Computer:

fixmbr3.jpg

Then, select your Vista partition and click Next:

fixmbr4.jpg

Select Command Prompt from the system recovery options window:

fixmbr5.jpg

Once you are at the command prompt, run the following commands:

Bootrec.exe /fixMBR
Bootrec.exe /fixBoot

fixmbr6.jpg

The first command fixes the Master Boot Record, and the second fixes the Boot Sector (just in case it is also damaged).

You can now close the command prompt, remove the Vista DVD and click Restart. This should reload Windows with a repaired MBR:

fixmbr7.jpg

GOOD LUCK
Admin-Amir

Postby w8wca » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:18 pm

It might brake things after updates, but you can edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

I have tested it by adding an OS from a separate partition on my Laptop.
(One that Ultimate Edition install did not see)

For those wanting to look into grub 2 more, below are some sites with more info.
(I am not very 'thrilled' with Grub2so far, JohnTN and I have spent MANY hours trying to get grub 2 to properly find existing OS's with varying success)

Here are a few links with Grub 2 Information:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html
http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p20.html
Cheers Charlie
HP dm3-1039wm 13" Laptop AMD Athlon Neo X2 dual-core 64 Bit, 4 G RAM
OS's Windows 7 Ultimate, OpenSolaris svn 133, Debian, Ultimate Edition 2.5, Fedora 12, CentOS 5.4, BackTrack4, Mint 8, Mepis
w8wca
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Cell » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:16 am

Another good read....kinda long.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

G0O,

I received your p.m. Ill take a look at your past post when I get a free moment between my new son,my four year old,and the wife. ;)

Edit: Did you try my method of getting grub to see M$?Using the live dvd? If you already mentioned this then disregard ;) .
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:05 am

Hi cell.

I received your p.m. Ill take a look at your past post when I get a free moment between my new son,my four year old,and the wife. ;)

Cell congratulation for the new son <BREW>
well now I understand with what you were busy with. <BREW> :D
Admin-Amir

Postby Cell » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Lol.Yep. ;)

Busy is an understatement.Its only been four years with my oldest,but I forgot how much fun it is with a new born.

Thanks.

Cell
hardware
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby g0O » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks allot amir and cell, I know its been ages since the posts, was really hectic this side with uni and studies.
Hardware
Biostar TF560 A2+ Am2
Amd Phenom 9600 Quad Black Edition 2.3GHz
EVGA: Nvidia Geforce 9600GT KO .
Ram: Kingston 1x 2GB DDR2 800
1 WD 80GB hd (2 Partitions for dualbooting OS's)
1 WD 250GB hd

--------------------
OS'S
--------------------
Ultimate Edition 2.4
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
==========================================================================

Life is but a snow-ball rolling down a mountain side... Nothing is set in stone... Live for change, don't live for settling down.
g0O
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby nesnfsn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Have found another bootloader with promise, Chameleon, but it is used primarily by OSX hackintosh users. I would love to see if this could be installed without an OSX hack. The screens are configurable with themes and already several themes have been created by its users

Not sure if I should post the link. Please advise. If this is acceptable, I will.

nesnfsn in sunny South Florida (well it is past sunny at this hour).
Hackintosh OS X 10.7.2 / (WAS) Ultimate Edition 2.9 x64 (ON HOLD for 3.1/3.2)
Asus P6T, 6GB DDR3 RAM / PowerColor HD6850 Fanless GPU / Intel i7 930 CPU
1 500GB Seagate SATA-II HDD, 1 WD 2 TB Green SATA-II HDD
nesnfsn
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:56 pm

nesnfsn wrote:Have found another bootloader with promise, Chameleon, but it is used primarily by OSX hackintosh users. I would love to see if this could be installed without an OSX hack. The screens are configurable with themes and already several themes have been created by its users

Not sure if I should post the link. Please advise. If this is acceptable, I will.

nesnfsn in sunny South Florida (well it is past sunny at this hour).

Go for it nesnfsn, I'm sure that someone might be interested in seeing what you found. Myself included since I haven't heard of it before. Who knows, might even learn something. ;)
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.4