Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Wireless/Networking questions?Post here please.

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.4

Wireless/Networking questions?Post here please.

Postby Cell » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:48 am

Thank you.

Cell
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Re: Wireless/Networking questions?Post here please.

Postby witblits1970 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:41 am

ok i downloaded 2.4, installed it and boy i like what i see. just 1 slight sadness though---no wireless internet. im not sure why wireless has been left out? how do i get it back as i use my lappy mainly for wireless internet. im using my mobile connection for this but would prefer to use my wireless instead. thanks :?
mobo asus m5a99 x
ram 16 gig ddr3 @1333mhz kingston
hdd 2tb seagate
cpu 3.9 gig fx 6 core piledriver
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:12 am

Hello witblits1970.

I have add some more info to the Guide section,see if that can help.
If you go left click on the icon monitor up top right,then you can configure your wireless network.
and some info in the Guide section for you.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4061
Admin-Amir

Postby witblits1970 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:21 pm

understood however my wifi indicator on my laptop does not come on and regardless of what i do it won't my lappy is a dell studio. with 2.3 it used to show and i couls choose what ntework i wanted to connect to but not now :(
mobo asus m5a99 x
hdd 2tb seagate
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Hello witblits1970

try to install the Driver for your platform from here.
and let us know what happens please.
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
Admin-Amir

Postby witblits1970 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:11 pm

i dont know how to install tar.bz files yet. sorry :oops:
mobo asus m5a99 x
hdd 2tb seagate
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby witblits1970 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:33 pm

i think im going to go back to 2.3. at least things worked there, maybe 2.4 at a later date. :(
mobo asus m5a99 x
hdd 2tb seagate
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:00 pm

Hello witblits1970

First, you need to untar it by using the following command, where foo.tar.bz2 is your file name:

Code: Select all
tar -xjf foo.tar.bz2

If it's .gz instead of .bz2, us z instead of j in the flags.

Once that's extracted, cd into the folder that it extracted and there should be a README file that explains how to install that particular driver.
Admin-Amir

Postby Driver » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:45 pm

witblits1970 wrote:understood however my wifi indicator on my laptop does not come on and regardless of what i do it won't my lappy is a dell studio. with 2.3 it used to show and i couls choose what ntework i wanted to connect to but not now :(

With your 2.3 installation, did you first have to click on Hardware Drivers from the System/Administration menu and then pick a wireless driver and click Activate? I understand (I think) that the Broadcom wireless driver is not open-source and strictly speaking, should not be automatically installed by the distro's installer (even though it would be convienent to the end-user ;) ).

That seems to be the whole purpose of the Hardware Drivers app - to search for and present for installation those drivers that may be needed by our hardware that for one reason or another - such as not meeting the GPL, perhaps - cannot be automatically included.

It worked very well for me. I just had to connect my ethernet port that first time so that Hardware Drivers could do its thing.

I wonder if in the future such proprietary wireless drivers could be included on the DVD, not to be automatically installed, but so a user who does not have the option of physically connecting - if they must use a public WiFi hotspot for their internet access, for example - can add the DVD as a repository and do the installation that way. I am not sure if the Broadcom / NDISWrapper(?) thing can be so included (legally).

witblits1970 wrote:i think im going to go back to 2.3. at least things worked there, maybe 2.4 at a later date. :(

That is exactly how I felt only a couple of days ago :oops: . The issue I was trying to figure out was a non-issue on my 2.3 installation. And - of course :) - if you do stick with 2.3, you've still got a GREAT distro. But I was stubborn and with the help of a couple wonderful staff members my issue was resolved and I learned something in the process. And so I find myself about to install 2.4 on my main computer with confidence that, although I may have the odd personal (err...) issue, the distro itself is solid and anything specific to my circumstances will be quickly dealt with.

Admin-Amir wrote:I have add some more info to the Guide section,see if that can help.
If you go left click on the icon monitor up top right,then you can configure your wireless network.
and some info in the Guide section for you.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4061

Thank you from all of us non-experts! There is a great deal of knowledge presented (I'm still chipping away at it - I looked for something in it and immediately found a couple other things right off the bat that were useul as well) within your work and it was kind of you to gather it into one spot. It must have taken more than a little effort on your part, and you have expended said effort... For the rest of us. <BREW> . I admit that when I first picked Ultimate Edition, I did so based solely on the size of the .ISO (it's bigger than most, it must be better, right? :lol: ). I simply did not yet know enough to pick one any other way. Turns out I was very lucky in my choice, and in addition to finding a distro that works well for me, I've found a group of people - both staffers and "regular" members - who care enough to help one as ignorant as myself. It is for that as much as the distro itself that I know I'll be a long-term user.
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby billhedrick » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:52 pm

yea. I tried to get online last night with my ol' Dell Latitude C510 with the built-in card, no love in 2.4, it worked fine in 2.3 and other distros. I am going to carefully read this thread and try the remedies
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.4