Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Graphics-Nvidia issues?Post here please.

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.4

Graphics-Nvidia issues?Post here please.

Postby Cell » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:57 am

Thank you.

Cell
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Re: Graphics-Nvidia issues?Post here please.

Postby Driver » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Fresh 2.4 install.
nVidia 5200FX 128meg
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ @ 1795.5mHz
1280meg RAM

NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 173.14.20

My system boots @ 1280x1024. My monitor - and eyes - don't like that; I think it might even be interlaced as from the corner of my eye the screen looks "blinky" but not if I look at it direct.

I can run NVIDIA X Server Settings and manually change the resolution in the drop-down list from Auto to 1024x768. I can then click on Apply and it changes. My problem is when I attempt to save the setting so it is the new default. Clicking on Save to X Configuration File gives me a popup error "Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'!"

I got this when I installed 2.3 to this computer but was able to get around it. I made a shortcut on the desktop of the nVidia settings manager, then looked at its Properties and copied the command, then opened a terminal and ran the command as superuser. It then worked when I tried saving the settings.

This workaround is not working in 2.4. So it appears that I must learn the correct way to set my default resolution to 1024*768.

What is the correct way?

Thanks!
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:26 pm

Hello Driver.

Ubuntu do not want the user to EDIT the file X.org no more.
Cell and myself made all the Tests to find solution for this situation,
but there is no more Editing option for the X.org Video options.
Every Restart the file id deleted and -Rewritten by default Values.
So all the work around is just per session and not more then that.
One more thing,every update it will be Rewritten by default Values Go figure The Ubuntu Team. :?
Admin-Amir

Postby Cell » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:44 pm

Like Amir said.Its because xserver is the old one...which doesn't know what the heck to do with the new xorg.Until Nvidia gets on the stick,or Conical,and gets the newer driver in you will have to wait.

Just had a thought...did you enable the other two repos in the software source,and update?

Did you try Blackwolf's work around?

you can try
Code: Select all
sudo nvidia-xconfig
and then restart x
Code: Select all
sudo nvidia-settings
to change and save your settings.

EDIT: I see how the above can create some confusion.If you use a proprietary driver you will have an xorg.conf file. i.e. nvidia driver,or the closed source ATI driver
hardware
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Mythbuntu 9.10
We are all connected;
To the earth, chemically
Cell
Site Admin

Postby jim » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:00 am

I don't know if this is the correct way but it worked for me. Pay attention to post #4. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ith+karmic
jim
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Driver » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:50 pm

jim wrote:I don't know if this is the correct way but it worked for me. Pay attention to post #4. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ith+karmic

Odd thread, that. It has SOLVED in the title, yet there is no solution, only a workaround which I gather from reading THIS thread will be re-written at every update?

One must wonder why Ubuntu decided to change such a basic precept (editable graphics configurations) without working with the graphics companies before giving it to the public. Rush to release, lol?

I tried sudo rm xorg.conf*, sudo nvidia-xconfig, and gksudo nvidia settings. I still got errors and a quick logout/in put me back into 1280*1024 at 60Hz(!) which not only makes things small, it makes my eyes hurt and quickly gives bad headaches. I could live, I suppose, with the squinting - but that 60Hz is a [/FAIL] for me. I just can't physically use it without manually changing it each and every time I boot into GNOME.

Oh well, millions of nVidia users in the world. Someone will probably lynch half the Ubuntu staff over this one and the survivors ought to be suitably motivated to fix this bug. In that case, a fix should come through Update Manager, right?

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Cell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:23 pm

You do know The linux community just uses the drivers nvidia gives them right?No one in ubuntu writes the nvidia driver...least as far as I know.

Glad I use ATI.... :roll:
hardware
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Mythbuntu 9.10
We are all connected;
To the earth, chemically
Cell
Site Admin

Postby Driver » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Cell wrote:You do know The linux community just uses the drivers nvidia gives them right?No one in ubuntu writes the nvidia driver...least as far as I know.

Glad I use ATI.... :roll:

Well, yes, I believe I understand that. We (nVidia users) use a file from nVidia. Which caused me to improperly focus my ire on nVidia... at first.

For if I'm driving down the road and my engine quits, I blame the engine.

But, if that engine is working just fine but I find that I need to adjust it... and I find that the manufacturer of my automobile has wielded the hood to the fenders, well, I can't blame that on the engine, now, can I? ;)

So... Your ATI driver can write to xorg.conf in Karmic without all of this hassle, then? Any way you can find out how it performs its writes (and makes them stick)?

Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Cell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:46 pm

So... Your ATI driver can write to xorg.conf in Karmic without all of this hassle, then? Any way you can find out how it performs its writes (and makes them stick)?

I don't have an xorg.config file...I can if I wanted to,but I'm not finding a reason to do it yet.I'm running pretty good on the open source driver.

Another thing...I'm sure you know is Karmic is just another stepping stone(A big stepping stone!!New things are being implemented. To expect it to all work is well kinda...you know) to the LTS.Really makes no sense being disappointed if something doesn't work when you can use Hardy....I'm just saying in general.I said it before..we are lab rats for the next LTS.

With that said ya your right it does suck,and it should work...somewhat at least,but wait.It does.
hardware
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Mythbuntu 9.10
We are all connected;
To the earth, chemically
Cell
Site Admin

Postby jim » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 pm

I'm sorry to hear it doesn't work. For me after I ran those commands I was able to set-up my monitors and then save the file. I do think I completely restarted rather just logging out though, you might try that. I also wanted to let you know that I've restarted several times and my xorg.conf has not be rewritten. I hope you get it working soon.
jim
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.4