Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Evolution ports and External hard drives unmountable

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Evolution ports and External hard drives unmountable

Postby Inprogress » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:01 am

Two problems. Oh hey, sorry, Hello there. I live in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and this is my third attempt to leave Windows very much in my past. Previous attempt was in 2001, but didn't work out due to hardware support with Mandrake back then. Then, about two years ago, tried Ubuntu 7.10 but left that because I couldn't get my mobile to work as a modem. Now I'm back and so far so good.

Two problems I have. My external hard drive is unmountable (I can never get Windows to stop using the drive so that I can safely remove it). I found previously that if I "safely remove" the hard drive via Windows, it is mountable in Linux from the start again. Seems in Linux one ALWAYS has to unmount a hard drive otherwise its spilled beans when you hook it up again. So, what can I do? This is the error message I get: Unable to mount the volume 'Media Mate' and the details to that message are: Cannot get volume.fstype.alternative.

Any ideas?

Other problem I have is with Evolution. I want to set it up to download my Gmail messages using IMAP, but for the life of me, I can not find the bit in Evolution where I manually set the port settings. Any help?

Thanks a million guys and gals. So far I think Windows will be history now.

Happy trails
Inprogress
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Evolution ports and External hard drives unmountable

Postby jslick1jim » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:13 am

Hello Inprogress

I don't use evolution but this should help. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingGmailWithEvolution#Create%20Gmail%20Account%20in%20Evolution
and as for unmounting your drive start windows and just shut it down normally and unplug your
drive after windows shuts down on its own. You should be able to access the drive in Ultimate Edition once you
boot up.

jslick1jim
ImageMotherboard Msi Eclipse Sli
Cpu intel i7 920
Mem 6gig ddr3
x-fi extreme audio
ps2 keyboard
usb razer mouse
2 sata2 320 wd hd
2 ide 320 wd hd
2 segate 1tb hd
4 wd black 1tb hd
Visontek 5870
Hp Officejet Pro 8500 wireless
Lian Li PC-343B Modular Black Aluminum Cube Case
32in Olevia LCD HD TV
Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 bit
jslick1jim
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Re: Evolution ports and External hard drives unmountable

Postby Inprogress » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks for the link slick. HAHAH, that sounds cool.

I thought I would have to do that bit with windows, will have to take it to a friends pc then. I should've listened to my instincts.

Thanks again.

Other than that, been enjoying it. I would like to move to a more lightweight distro once I am comfortable with linux and the command line. VERY much newbie.

Happy trails
Inprogress
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.3