Lightscribe Software?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Lightscribe Software?

Postby Driver » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:56 pm

There are only a couple of things left that I still have Windows around for. One of them is for burning "labels" to the front of Lightscribe CD/DVD media. I haven't found an app (for UE2.3 or Ubuntu) that burns lightscribe labels.

I read that there is an app that does this for Mandriva and other RPM-based distros. I have also read (vaguely) that I can use an app called Alien to convert it to a DEB package but first I wanted to see if there is something (that I can just add to my repository list and select) designed for our distro.

Anyone?
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Re: Lightscribe Software?

Postby Cell » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:07 pm

RED-Team would be one to pm.I think he's a dev working on that project.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Driver » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:56 pm

Looks like I picked a bad time - is that a scent of UE2.4 on the wind? :lol:

Speaking of which:
Since I cannot afford to send a donation for server fees or to help compensate TheeMahn and the ULTIMATE crew, I intend to burn a copy of UE2.4 for each of my local public libraries, try to make/find a nice Lightscribe disc image for them, and print up some kind of envelope or cd-case cover.

I will also, once I see an official .torrent for UE2.4, download it with my desktop and when my download is complete, leave it seeding(?) for the next 24*7 hours to help spread it. Small gesture I know but it's all I can think of.

Cell, I thank you for the suggestion to PM RED-Team but unless he/she sees this thread and chooses to respond I will wait a week or so to send the PM so that that user can play with the soon-to-be-released OS.
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby kiwinsn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Hey Driver

Check this link out:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2775&start=10

I know TheeMahn posted instructions on the board a whil ago...can't find them at the moment...but they are there.

Have a good look around.....

Cheers
System:
Specs to come.
Registered Linux user number: 542342
kiwinsn

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:05 am

Admin-Amir

Postby red_team316 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:34 am

Thanks for being on top of things Blackwolf.

Driver,
Lacie Lightscribe Labeler is a very decent and simple program that does the job. As far as I know, it is the best(of only two) Lightscribe labelers for Linux. HP has a simple lightscribe labeler on their site that handles only text. I always use Lacie if I intend to produce a professional looking label.

The main thing with Lacie is that you will want to use their CD/DVD template and produce a graphic of the final product using GIMP/Pixel/Photoshop/etc... once that is done, the actual burning process is dead easy.

The actual binary/executable is for 32-bit but it will work fine on 64-bit systems. It just takes a little more effort. Take a look at the info BlackWolf posted.

I posted a bash script a while back that automates the installation and installs menu entries for Gnome and KDE. If I remember correctly, the thread was in the graphics subforum.

HP also provides a Linux Lightscribe SDK on their website, but the download is in rpm format, so you will need alien to extract/install it if you plan on doing any dev work.
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.3