Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

VNC? Get v11vnc & Remmina- [SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

VNC? Get v11vnc & Remmina- [SOLVED]

Postby linuxux » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Server:

Client:

I have 2 Ultimate Edition 2.3 boxes.

When I open KRDC and try to connect, I lose local keyboard (yes on the client). I just did this a second ago, the remote server is not running right now, so it just had the blank screen, and while that was "connected" I could not use the keyboard to type here in the forum.

I tried to install tightvnc and vnc through synaptic but they don't show on the start menu.

Edited to put final results on the top here.
Last edited by linuxux on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
linuxux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: KDRC/VNC/tight

Postby linuxux » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Also, with KRDC, the local showed NOT connected but the remote showed it was connected.

So I installed the gnome remote viewer (grdc), which btw has the same name on the start menu as krdc........
GRDC does connect and sorta-kinda shows the remote desktop... It wants to do double-image, it doesn't scale, it doesn't change low/med/high compression until restart, and it doesn't seem to know when a window was moved... on connect, it takes one screenshot and stops updating video.

Not sure what to do, I just wanted a simple remote access.
linuxux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby linuxux » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:42 pm

I guess if you want quick and easy, it'll cost ya $199 usd. http://www.symantec.com/business/products/purchasing.jsp?pcid=2247&pvid=840_1

The "remote desktop viewer" in linux *is* vnc, not a very good implementation, but possibly better than 200 for a license. 2+ hours wasted already on this makes me wonder.

The Linux tools are missing some things.
- There's no option to disconnect on close window, it minimizes to the system tray.
- The server doesn't have any options to say "hey you are already connected!" at least not in the gui options.
- You can setup multiple vnc servers with :10 :34 whatever, but the gui doesn't show the active ones (and not sure how to see from command line?)
- The gui is completely unreliable. I'm not connected at all right now but it shows I am.
- Nowhere can you 'disconnect client'
- The title should include VNC.
linuxux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby linuxux » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:58 pm

Is there a free alternative that works?
linuxux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby tchk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:09 am

i"m no linux pro and i'm sure you know more than me
but i've used the "remote desktop" that's preinstalled on "Ultimate Edition" and it works bangin
sometimes if the other persons pc is a turd or their isp is crappy it's a little laggy

I guess if you want quick and easy, it'll cost ya $199 usd. http://www.symantec.com/business/produc ... pvid=840_1

The "remote desktop viewer" in linux *is* vnc, not a very good implementation, but possibly better than 200 for a license. 2+ hours wasted already on this makes me wonder.

whats quicker and easier than it being pre installed?

The Linux tools are missing some things.
- There's no option to disconnect on close window, it minimizes to the system tray.

i use the close button to disconnect
Screenshot of tchk's remote desktop on tchk-desktop.png

- The server doesn't have any options to say "hey you are already connected!" at least not in the gui options.
you can tell who's connected by the tabs at the top of the page which is also how you can close them
- You can setup multiple vnc servers with :10 :34 whatever, but the gui doesn't show the active ones (and not sure how to see from command line?)
the tabbed windows show your connections
remote.png

- The gui is completely unreliable. I'm not connected at all right now but it shows I am.
i don't think it's showing you connected, but just as a possible connection, the connections are on the tabs in the window like firefox [see previos pic]
as far as reliability, i connect and control desktop, disconnect and done no problem. what kind of hardware are you runnin and what kind is the pc your connected to runnin, because when i connect to my mom and brother who both have the same isp but my moms pc is a turd so her connection is a little laggy but my brothers works great with his higher end pc
- Nowhere can you 'disconnect client'
- The title should include VNC.
maybe the keyboard is tring to control the desktop you opened instead of yours if you minimize remote desktop
can you use your keyboard then? also are both machines configured correctly?
system>preferences>remote desktop
screenshot_021.png

allow incoming connections
allow others to control desktop
password confirm etc.
so i hope somehow i might have helped i'm just sharing my personal experience with remote desktop viewer
tchk
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

x11vnc

Postby linuxux » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:01 pm

x11vnc by http://www.karlrunge.com
It is the sniz compared to all other linux vnc. For the server.
The first thing you want to do with x11vnc is find the GUI command, most forum posts dont mention it, and the x11vnc --help is about 500 pages, it's buried in there. x11vnc -gui not a pretty gui but much much better than command line guesswork using the 100s of features.

There are ways to make the x11vnc send lower res, but I have not had time to sort that out yet. It's surely simple as 123... er finding 123 in a row in pi. With a pencil.
Last edited by linuxux on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linuxux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby linuxux » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Output from x11vnc --help

If it's just plain too long for the forum, mods rip it.

nvm.. Your message contains 259625 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 145000.

Anyway it includes lots of examples and interesting things, like this...
Most of the X11 (screen, keyboard, mouse)
options do not make sense and many will cause this
mode to crash, so please think twice before setting or
changing them in a running x11vnc.
linuxux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Clients I tried.

Postby linuxux » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:08 pm

My experience with various clients...
Your experience will most likely vary. But. The last one, Remmina, does it all. (just discovered this one...)

xvncviewer
    Command line client, no scaling
    VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1.1 for X - built Apr 16 2008 13:02:40

tsclient
    Seemed to be view only?
    Terminal Server Client for GNOME a frontend for rdesktop tsclient version 0.150

krdc
    At login, it likes to blast connections, 100s, locks up and crashes.

gtkvncviewer
    Nice quick one, no scaling, not many options, no version #.
    It does show the host+ip at the top..

gnome-rdp
    Didn't run, cryptic dump and command line)

directvnc
    Crashed. vDirectFBError [DirectFBCreate( &dfb )]: Initialization error!

vinagre
    Scaling, bookmarks, F11 to exit full screen, no depth control? (8/16/24bit)
    No all-keys settings in gui. when I press F1, it opens local help, not remote help.
    I found some mention of adding scaling to vinagre, but nothing in the actual program / man / command line help.

grdc

Remmina

I might just be set on Remmina ;)
linuxux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.3