Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Won't reboot from HD after install

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Re: Won't reboot from HD after install

Postby Moebius » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:08 pm

Just an observation here:
Your BIOS Boot priority would be best set as
1. CD/DVD Drive
2. Hard Drive

If there is a bootable CD/DVD in the drive, it will automatically boot from it. If not, it will go to the next option which is the Hard Drive. As long as you remember to take out the Live DVD from the tray, your computer will still boot from the Hard drive. There is no need to change the BIOS boot priority back again. Just leave it as above. Try the install again leaving these settings in BIOS. When rebooting after install, wait while the shut down screen progresses to almost the end. At this point there should be a message telling you to hit enter to eject the DVD - but it does not appear. Hit enter anyway, wait for about 10sec and the tray will eject. Take out the DVD and lets see what happens.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby rockerhard » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:33 pm

Okay. Just got done with two more install attempts. ultimate-edition-2.3-gamers-x86 and ultimate-edition-2.3-x64. Both installs produced the same

After the install is complete I get a prompt that says the install is complete. I can remain in the live system, but the changes wont take affect until I restart. I leave the cd in the tray. Desktop interface disappears, and I am presented with a logo and no text. After a minute or two the cd tray will eject on it's own. Logo remains on screen. No text. The logo will remain there until I hit the enter key, but there is never any prompt as in previous installs that says "Please remove the cd and hit enter".

Now keep in mind that kubuntu was previously installed with no boot problems on that machine. I have also installed kubuntu on three other machines here and haven't experienced any boot issues. I just mention that for an understanding that I am familiar with the basic installation of the software. I haven't done anything different with your version. Should I?

BTW, that system main specs are:
ASRock n61p-gs motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+ Brisbane (running stock)
Onboard video and audio
Seagate 200gb HD

I even tried another hard drive. Same results.

I'm frustrated, because this looks kick ass, and I cant toy with it unless in live session that I am in now :)

Any commands, there are so many, that I can force the bootloader or something? Or anyother troubleshooting steps you can recommend?

Thanks again!!
rockerhard
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby rockerhard » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Moebius wrote:Just an observation here:
Your BIOS Boot priority would be best set as
1. CD/DVD Drive
2. Hard Drive

If there is a bootable CD/DVD in the drive, it will automatically boot from it. If not, it will go to the next option which is the Hard Drive. As long as you remember to take out the Live DVD from the tray, your computer will still boot from the Hard drive. There is no need to change the BIOS boot priority back again. Just leave it as above. Try the install again leaving these settings in BIOS. When rebooting after install, wait while the shut down screen progresses to almost the end. At this point there should be a message telling you to hit enter to eject the DVD - but it does not appear. Hit enter anyway, wait for about 10sec and the tray will eject. Take out the DVD and lets see what happens.

So if I wait for the cd to eject on it's own, I waited too long?
rockerhard
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby rockerhard » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Admin-Amir wrote:rockerhard

there is your problem right there.
the process of the installation end with the part that you have this screen:

snapshot19.png

all most in the end with request to get the DVD out from the try and close the try,
then you have to hit the Enter batten.
that is your problem with the process of your installation.

I think I misunderstood your solution here. It's been a long day, I thought the installation was completed with that prompt to restart in the desktop environment. I will give it another shot. When I see that logo, I will eject the cd and hit enter and see how that goes :) :)
rockerhard
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Moebius » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:52 pm

No, just an observation to let you know that the 'hit enter' message that you were expecting to see wont be there. Makes no difference to the issue at hand though. Whilst in Live mode, through your menus, choose System->Administration->Partition editor. Whilst there, see if your hard drive has the boot flag enabled.
Similar to the image below, look where the mouse arrow is. (your drives will obviously look different to mine)

Cheers.
Screenshot-1.png
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Cell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Just for kicks if you have time I would install the other ubuntu to see if have the same problem.If so then a bios setting might be off( not knowing how well you understand how to edit your bios.).But that's me,and I'm a glutton for punishment. ;)

Then again I do remember going through the pressing enter key without thinking about it....just habit.So I never experienced the restart bug....which by the way started with jaunty,and trickled its way down.Some devs have caught it,and some haven't.

Again another test would be hitting the key(they are different mine is Esc) at start up and choose to boot from your drive.Its it boots Ultimate Edition then it might well be a bios setting.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby rockerhard » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:33 am

Moebius wrote:No, just an observation to let you know that the 'hit enter' message that you were expecting to see wont be there. Makes no difference to the issue at hand though. Whilst in Live mode, through your menus, choose System->Administration->Partition editor. Whilst there, see if your hard drive has the boot flag enabled.
Similar to the image below, look where the mouse arrow is. (your drives will obviously look different to mine)

Cheers.
Screenshot-1.png

Awesome. Will do. It's about 70% on the install.
rockerhard
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby rockerhard » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:14 am

Cell wrote:Just for kicks if you have time I would install the other ubuntu to see if have the same problem.If so then a bios setting might be off( not knowing how well you understand how to edit your bios.).But that's me,and I'm a glutton for punishment. ;)

Then again I do remember going through the pressing enter key without thinking about it....just habit.So I never experienced the restart bug....which by the way started with jaunty,and trickled its way down.Some devs have caught it,and some haven't.

Again another test would be hitting the key(they are different mine is Esc) at start up and choose to boot from your drive.Its it boots Ultimate Edition then it might well be a bios setting.

Thanks Cell. Interesting, wasn't aware of the restart bug. Yea, sometimes I'll forget to change the boot sequence and it will boot from whatever available boot device. I tried already to directly boot from hard drive and get that message. Okay, just got back from the other machine. Install is complete and I'm in the live environment. Here is the screenie of the partition editor. I do see boot listed there. Everything look on the up and up? Kosh? :D
Attachments
snapshot1.png
rockerhard
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Cell » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:13 am

I see you did the auto option.I'm not sure,but I remember something about using that option,and having problems.Course it could be a totally different subject other than Jaunty.

You should partition your drive manually.Make a /,home,and a swamp.Its not only more reliable,but more secure also.Maybe 10 (10 might seems excessive but I like to be safe.) gigs for your / (which is root),and the rest minus your swamp for home.This way you can use ext4 file system.Which is faster,and improved....some might argue that point tho,but I believe if not all then most mods,and admins here use it.

If you need guidance on partitioning just yell back.

Cell

edit:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+ Brisbane (running stock)

Heh,heh...I heard you can make those puppies fly....
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby rockerhard » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Cell wrote:I see you did the auto option.I'm not sure,but I remember something about using that option,and having problems.Course it could be a totally different subject other than Jaunty. You should partition your drive manually.Make a /,home,and a swamp.Its not only more reliable,but more secure also.Maybe 10 (10 might seems excessive but I like to be safe.) gigs for your / (which is root),and the rest minus your swamp for home.This way you can use ext4 file system.Which is faster,and improved....some might argue that point tho,but I believe if not all then most mods,and admins here use it.

If you need guidance on partitioning just yell back.
Cell

Thanks dude for all the advice and suggestions.

I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing wrong or what's going on. I must have tried at least 5 installations on two different hard drives. I even tried fresh installs of Kubuntu and ubuntu and got the same error message!! I followed the excellent partitioning guide (BTW: link on the #9 picture leads to a file not found message) by the master. Followed it to the T. I do believe this is a user error issue.

These were IDE hard drives, so I put in the WD Raptor SATA drive that was originally in that machine, and installed Ultimate Edition 2.3 just fine. Booting up like a champ and fast. So I will keep it like it is, and format the 200 gb seagate drive in fat format and use that for his file storage.

Researching around the NET, with those experiencing the exact error message there were various solutions including:

1. Changing the hard drive from master to cable select
  2. If the cd/dvd drive was hooked up as slave from the HD, disconnect and put the cd on its own ide
  3. If no floppy drive in system, disable it from the bios
  4. Defective hard drive
  5. No operating system installed
  6. Change bios settings for sata drive to IDE
  7. Defective IDE cable or bad connection
  8. Incorrect jumper settings on drives
  9. IDE cables inserted incorrectly
  10. Bad install disk

I got a dell dimension 4100 sitting around. Featuring an intel Pentium III processor 933 MHz processor. Going to toy with this and see what I can get going. Sweetness goes out to the inventor of the KVM switch :D

And a big 'ole toast <BREW> to you fine folks running these forums and taking time out of your busy schedules to provide outstanding support. WARNING: I'll be back. I have a long ways to go before I can contribute to helping others, but I'll be damn if I won't take advantage of your knowledge when a search fails me.
rockerhard
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.3