Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Installed e17... now NO NETWORK!!!

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Installed e17... now NO NETWORK!!!

Postby jlr1701 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Well... it appears that the assholes of the world might not confine themselves to the Winblows world. I have been curious about the e17 environment and went looking for an easy way to get it installed. I'll recount the steps I took as best as I can remember.

First, I followed the steps on this site:

http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/05/how ... 17-in.html

When that didn't work, I found this page:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install ... buntu.html

I followed the advice given by the last user to comment so far, Ian Soutar. He posted these instructions:

ENLIGHTENMENT E17 ON UBUNTU 9.04

The site http://xsm.alphagemini.org/E17/repository/

Has an excellent repository for installing Enlightenment e17 in Ubuntu 9.04

Ignore the advice about pinning … it will install perfectly. This is the ONLY method that seems to get a fully functioning E17 into Ubuntu 9.04

All that is required is to add this repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file

Add the following line …

deb http://debian.alphagemini.org/ unstable main

then sudo apt-get update

then apt-get install e17 emodules-all

The install went OK and enlightenment works, BUT during the install, the Gnome Network Manager (or something like that) was disabled. I got an error prompt that said something about it not being able to continue, and I clicked "OK". I wish I could remember more clearly what went on there, but I can't.

Anyway, I rebooted and now I have no internet access in Linux. Since it was "Gnome" something that was disabled, I tried KDE just to see if the Net would work in it. Nope. I tried rebooting to an earlier kernel version -- nothing. I tried rebooting with the "recovery" option, and I chose to drop to a command prompt with networking. I know very little in the way of Linux commands, but fortunately "ping" and "tracert" worked, although I had to install traceroute. Linux told me how to do that from the command line with apt-get, which impressed the hell out of me. :)

Anyway, from the command line, I can ping and do a tracert to my sites (slimmingjeff.com and winningthebipolarbattle.com) with no problem, but if I boot up normally, I have no Net access at all.

Any help with this problem would be GREATLY appreciated, as right now the only thing I know to do on my own is back my data up and reinstall. :(

Thanks!

Jeff

P.S. The Net works fine in Winblows Vista (obviously) :) Oh, and in Linux I found something called the Network Manager in Startup Applications, and I removed the string "-sm -disable" (I think is what it was) from the command line. That seemed to make no difference on the next reboot.
jlr1701
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Installed e17... now NO NETWORK!!!

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Hello Jeff

see is that will do the work for you:

use WICD with the network module. Enable it in Configuration > Modules, then add it by right clicking a shelf > configure shelf contents > then add the net module. Now right click the net module and click configure. In the text box below Launch Application on Double-Click, put /opt/wicd/gui.py in. This is way better than Network Manager in GNOME in my opinion.
Admin-Amir

Postby TheeMahn » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:06 pm

jlr1701 wrote:Well... it appears that the assholes of the world might not confine themselves to the Winblows world. I have been curious about the e17 environment and went looking for an easy way to get it installed. I'll recount the steps I took as best as I can remember.

First, I followed the steps on this site:

http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/05/how ... 17-in.html

When that didn't work, I found this page:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install ... buntu.html

I followed the advice given by the last user to comment so far, Ian Soutar. He posted these instructions:

ENLIGHTENMENT E17 ON UBUNTU 9.04

The site http://xsm.alphagemini.org/E17/repository/

Has an excellent repository for installing Enlightenment e17 in Ubuntu 9.04

Ignore the advice about pinning … it will install perfectly. This is the ONLY method that seems to get a fully functioning E17 into Ubuntu 9.04

All that is required is to add this repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file

Add the following line …

deb http://debian.alphagemini.org/ unstable main

then sudo apt-get update

then apt-get install e17 emodules-all

The install went OK and enlightenment works, BUT during the install, the Gnome Network Manager (or something like that) was disabled. I got an error prompt that said something about it not being able to continue, and I clicked "OK". I wish I could remember more clearly what went on there, but I can't.

Anyway, I rebooted and now I have no internet access in Linux. Since it was "Gnome" something that was disabled, I tried KDE just to see if the Net would work in it. Nope. I tried rebooting to an earlier kernel version -- nothing. I tried rebooting with the "recovery" option, and I chose to drop to a command prompt with networking. I know very little in the way of Linux commands, but fortunately "ping" and "tracert" worked, although I had to install traceroute. Linux told me how to do that from the command line with apt-get, which impressed the hell out of me. :)

Anyway, from the command line, I can ping and do a tracert to my sites (slimmingjeff.com and winningthebipolarbattle.com) with no problem, but if I boot up normally, I have no Net access at all.

Any help with this problem would be GREATLY appreciated, as right now the only thing I know to do on my own is back my data up and reinstall. :(

Thanks!

Jeff

P.S. The Net works fine in Winblows Vista (obviously) :) Oh, and in Linux I found something called the Network Manager in Startup Applications, and I removed the string "-sm -disable" (I think is what it was) from the command line. That seemed to make no difference on the next reboot.

Jeff,

I am sure this is not the answer you would like to hear, but there are tools for CLI (terminal based) browsing in Ultimate Edition, built in such as but not limited to lynx, elinks, for such emergencies. I have never messed with E17... Probably would be a bad Idea to add it to Ultamatix if it can yank your network. That is piss poor on their end. My humblest apologies for not being able to render assistance.

Sorry for your stroke of bad luck,

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:38 am

jlr1701-Jeff

please un plug your cable from your modem and connect it back,when you machine is off.
connect it until you fill the click,the un plug your cable from the machine and do the same.
and Restart the machine and see if that will solve the issue.
I have made test last night for you on the issue,and delete the eth0 from the EDIT connection,
the add new connection of eth0 and did that process and that works back on.

Thank you
Amir.
Admin-Amir

Postby stanca » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:26 am

I just found out that gnome's network manager is not working with E17,only wicd.Amir is right. <BREW>
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby jlr1701 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:03 am

Thanks for the replies, everybody! I've been using Windows the last few days since, at the moment, it works. But I would definitely like to get Ultimate Edition working again.

Amir, I tried what you suggested, and it didn't work for me. I appreciate your time and research, though. :)

I think what I'm gonna do is take this as a lesson to be very careful with stuff I'm curious about but don't understand very well, which is most of the Linux world right now! Ultimate Edition is the first OS to ever get me away from Windows for very long. I don't dislike Windows, but I do dislike the high prices M$ and most M$ software companies charge for their software, and I dislike the security and privacy issues as well. I would much rather use Linux.

I am anxiously awaiting Ultimate Edition 2.4! I downloaded the beta of Ubuntu 9.10 just to check it out. The hideously ugly default color scheme is definitely a turn off with Ubuntu. Makes me think of that old Star Trek episode where Spock goes insane from looking at the Medusan. I feel the same way looking at Ubuntu! :lol: Not having MP3 support "out of the box" is also a major turn off. I got the w64codecs installed, but not the non-free codecs. I tried installing Ultimatix, and that failed too with dependency issues. I was in the Live CD environment doing all that though, so maybe that had something to do with it.

This "stroke of bad luck" as Thee Mahn put it (and he is The Man! <BREW> ), has been a learning experience. Oops! :oops: No more experimental software or unstable repos for me! Unless we can manage to get my 2.3 install fixed, I think what I'm gonna do is wait on Ultimate Edition 2.4 (when will it be released?) and start from scratch. I have all my stuff backed up, so though it will be a pain, it's not that big a deal and it's doable.

Thanks!

Jeff
jlr1701
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:31 am

Jeff

sorry to here that it did not work out for you.
The WICD was the solution for this issue all over the net.
So maybe just maybe you did not change the network manager (did not un install the Gnome network manager),
And this is what hold you back from connect to the net?
Admin-Amir

Postby stanca » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:20 am

And remember that E17 is the most unstable on Ubuntu,even flavours,I found out OpenGEU very unstable and buggy.They didn't release a final edition since august last year(2008),even now they are stuck with version 8.10 unstable.
I'm using Elive,wich is based off of Debian Lenny 5.02 Stable.
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.3