Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Memtest cannot finish-CPU 100% then shutdown

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Re: Memtest cannot finish-CPU 100% then shutdown

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Moebius, you know more about computers than I (noob). What is the ways to tell if one's puter is a netbot/zombie computer or has been hacked? Would this have anything to do with RAM? Thanks.P

System=>Administration=>System Monitor=>Processes.
there you can see is there is zombie situation on your machine.
It has to show you all the processes that run in the back round as sleeping/running.
Admin-Amir

Postby Moebius » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:23 pm

I'll just quickly add that if you're asking this question from a Linux/Ultimate Edition point of view, it is highly unlikely you are infected. If you're referring to Windows, well.... where do I start?

Does it have anything to do with Ram? - well, sort of but not really. If you are infected in Windows, the infection will normally be somewhere on the HDD, and when your PC boots, it will transfer into your Ram in order to do it's thing. It is possible for the infection to also remain in Ram even if you do a warm reboot (TSR). It can take up your resources (Ram) and hence slow your machine significantly.

Good to see you back. ;)
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby D1Knight » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:43 pm

Admin-Amir wrote:
Moebius, you know more about computers than I (noob). What is the ways to tell if one's puter is a netbot/zombie computer or has been hacked? Would this have anything to do with RAM? Thanks.P

System=>Administration=>System Monitor=>Processes.
there you can see is there is zombie situation on your machine.
It has to show you all the processes that run in the back round as sleeping/running.

Amir, thank you for help and suggestion. :) O.K. according to the System Monitor there is no unusual looking processes. :D Well that is a relieve! :) The more I am using Linux, the more thankful I am for this OS. :D P
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Postby D1Knight » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 pm

Moebius wrote:I'll just quickly add that if you're asking this question from a Linux/Ultimate Edition point of view, it is highly unlikely you are infected. If you're referring to Windows, well.... where do I start?

Does it have anything to do with Ram? - well, sort of but not really. If you are infected in Windows, the infection will normally be somewhere on the HDD, and when your PC boots, it will transfer into your Ram in order to do it's thing. It is possible for the infection to also remain in Ram even if you do a warm reboot (TSR). It can take up your resources (Ram) and hence slow your machine significantly.

Good to see you back. ;)

Moebius, I appreciate you and your help. :) This is very good to know, that running Linux there is unlikely any infection in Ram! :D O.K. as far as a Windows OS, I have not been running it for close to a year. I am attempting to avoid using Windows, not that I hate Windows, it is just that I prefer to run an OS with as few problems as possible. As of now with this laptop, it is shut off (completely no power connection) for multiple hours throughout the day. I am supposing that this will also assure, that no bad thing is hibernating in Ram.

Thanks for your kind word. :) P
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby tchk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:26 am

i would try to load setup defaults in bios for your laptop or maybe processor fan is on the way out also try to benchmark or stresstest with system up and runnin not with the memtest [run 3d mark continually, this will pretty much beat the crap out of anything ive seen]
to see if it overheats and shuts down
to isolate problem as being memtest related or hardware
also this laptop isn't sitting on your couch or carpet is it ?
the bottem of it needs to be able to breathe
free -m will give you mem info but i can't remember command to drop the caches but i'm sure moebius or admir know it
or some one else more knowledgible then i will help
tchk
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:26 am

Code: Select all
sudo free -m
Admin-Amir

Postby tchk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:10 pm

not that command thats how you check your mem the one that drops all the ram caches
tchk
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:33 pm

NOTE: This may cause you to lose data, it may make your system slower, it may kill your cat. Do this at your own risk, and don't be surprised if it doesn't work out the way you wanted it to.

With the CYA out of the way, here is how to free up as much memory as possible by dumping the cache. Execute as root, or with sudo:

Code: Select all
# sync
# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Admin-Amir

Postby tchk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:38 pm

yea thats the one you da man!
one time i thought i had a virus mem locked
i did that on a live cd and reinstalled
and my system went back to normal
reinstalled twice before with same results as prior to installation
obviously i would reboot and execute that command from root prompt in recovery console not in the middle of anything runnin
tchk
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby D1Knight » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:58 am

tchk wrote:i would try to load setup defaults in bios for your laptop or maybe processor fan is on the way out also try to benchmark or stresstest with system up and runnin not with the memtest [run 3d mark continually, this will pretty much beat the crap out of anything ive seen]
to see if it overheats and shuts down
to isolate problem as being memtest related or hardware
also this laptop isn't sitting on your couch or carpet is it ?
the bottem of it needs to be able to breathe
free -m will give you mem info but i can't remember command to drop the caches but i'm sure moebius or admir know it
or some one else more knowledgible then i will help

tchk, thank you for your advice! :) I periodically load setup defaults in bios, so check mark that. Next, the stresstest, what is 3d mark? :?: Time to Google? :D My laptop, when plugged in and on, I usually have it sitting on a "Notebook Cooling Hub" (Elevation for typing+2 fans in hub w/vents+ extra USB ports-runs on laptop USB port).P
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.3