Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Memtest cannot finish-CPU 100% then shutdown

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Memtest cannot finish-CPU 100% then shutdown

Postby D1Knight » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Hello there, when I attempt to run a Memtest it will only run 35-50 minutes, then shuts puter off. :? My processor/fan seems to be running full speed, until the shutdown. :( Thank you all for your help. :)

I have a single M processor 1.70GHz Intel Centrino, 2GB RAM, 32bit, HP Laptop.P
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Re: Memtest cannot finish-CPU 100% then shutdown

Postby Cell » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:41 pm

You might have to crack it open,and spray some can air in there to clean it out.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby D1Knight » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:04 am

Cell wrote:You might have to crack it open,and spray some can air in there to clean it out.

Thank you for your response Cell. :) I have cleaned it out about 5 weeks ago (I had this problem then, too), no change. :? Is the Memtest suppose to run with the processor at 100%? What would cause the Memtest to run the processor at 100% with no adjustments? Do I need to adjust any of the settings of the Memtest?

FYI, I have used on my desktop some programs that are processor intensive, ie-video converting, making DVD videos and others; but with these programs the processor does not stay continually at 100% :?

2nd FYI-When I am running the Memtest, and it lasts 35-50 minutes before complete shutdown, the testing results show I have 70% complete with no errors at that point. :?

3rd FYI-I had submitted this question originally in the Newbie Questions section, but it didn't take or I did something wrong?

:idea: I wonder if there is a way to slow down the Memtest process?

Thanks for any and all help. :D P
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Moebius » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:31 am

Hi D1Knight
Are you running memtest directly from the Grub boot menu? If so, how are you checking your CPU load? :?

Your original post is there but was waiting for approval. I will remove it so we don't double up. ;)

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby D1Knight » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:06 am

Moebius wrote:Hi D1Knight
Are you running memtest directly from the Grub boot menu? If so, how are you checking your CPU load? :?

Your original post is there but was waiting for approval. I will remove it so we don't double up. ;)

Cheers.

Hi Moebius
I am, to be precise, running the Memtest from a Live CD. :) It is a unfortunate/fortunate assumption on my part, I do not visually see the CPU load. :oops: I can only tell by hearing (CPU constantly 100% with fan sound maximized) and touching (bottom of Laptop is getting warm). :) I think you may know what I mean, after awhile one gets use to the different sounds of ones puter. ;)

I thank you kindly for removing my original post. :D

Any suggestions? :) P
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Moebius » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:44 am

At this stage, I would agree with cell. The fan 'spin up' occurs when heat builds up inside the PC. Heat can build up due to heavy CPU load, Heavy memory load (like memtest), or blocked exhaust vents and clogged internal heatsinks/fans (dust). Your PC has a heat fail safe which will turn off the unit when it reaches its critical temperature threshold. Your description of the hot bottom of the laptop also tends to lead toward this as your problem. Laptops are not easy to get into to clean - did you actually open it up to the point where you can see the heatsink on the processor? (please don't do this if you lack confidence/knowledge). Also, on the base of your laptop, you should see a little compartment where additional memory goes.(it should have a little Ram icon on it). Open that up and remove the memory then re-seat it. Sometimes excessive heat can cause Ram modules to expand and 'pop' out slightly.

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
LG Super Multi DVDRW

Moebius
Site Admin

Postby D1Knight » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Moebius wrote:At this stage, I would agree with cell. The fan 'spin up' occurs when heat builds up inside the PC. Heat can build up due to heavy CPU load, Heavy memory load (like memtest), or blocked exhaust vents and clogged internal heatsinks/fans (dust). Your PC has a heat fail safe which will turn off the unit when it reaches its critical temperature threshold. Your description of the hot bottom of the laptop also tends to lead toward this as your problem. Laptops are not easy to get into to clean - did you actually open it up to the point where you can see the heatsink on the processor? (please don't do this if you lack confidence/knowledge). Also, on the base of your laptop, you should see a little compartment where additional memory goes.(it should have a little Ram icon on it). Open that up and remove the memory then re-seat it. Sometimes excessive heat can cause Ram modules to expand and 'pop' out slightly.

Cheers.

OK, I blew air into the fan vents to clean any dust out, then I made sure the RAM was seated proper. I then re-ran Memtest, still did not finish. A shutdown occurred sooner after 25 minutes. :( I am wondering if my single core processor (Intel M Centrino 1.7GHz) is just too weak for the Memtest process or the processor is going bad/faulty? Any thoughts? :?: If the processor is dying, I believe I shall just completely disconnect and box-up my laptop and do without a computer, until I can afford something better. It's OK I've been without a computer before, in fact this is my 1st and only official computer (had a loner few years back Win98SE). I cannot see why I should keep using this particular Laptop, until it is completely useless and besides I am not doing anything critical on it. :) P
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Moebius » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi D1Knight,
Still thinking its hardware related. If you have blown air through the vents, it could still have dust clogging your heatsink and processor fan - the only way to clean that is by opening it up. Yes it has its risks, but if you're not going to use the laptop anyway, might be worthwhile to try? Also, just for giggles, try memtest directly from your Grub menu rather than the Live CD. Few more ideas.. Have a look in your BIOS settings and see if you have an option to increase your temperature threshold (only if its set low as you dont want to fry your processor). Try running memtest whilst on battery not mains - most laptops run at half speed to increase battery life. Other than that, I'm afraid I'm all out of ideas... :?
GNOME 3.2.1
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
LG Super Multi DVDRW

Moebius
Site Admin

Postby D1Knight » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Moebius wrote:Hi D1Knight,
Still thinking its hardware related. If you have blown air through the vents, it could still have dust clogging your heatsink and processor fan - the only way to clean that is by opening it up. Yes it has its risks, but if you're not going to use the laptop anyway, might be worthwhile to try? Also, just for giggles, try memtest directly from your Grub menu rather than the Live CD. Few more ideas.. Have a look in your BIOS settings and see if you have an option to increase your temperature threshold (only if its set low as you dont want to fry your processor). Try running memtest whilst on battery not mains - most laptops run at half speed to increase battery life. Other than that, I'm afraid I'm all out of ideas... :?

Hi Moebius,
OK, I tried runing Memtest from Grub menu instead and running Laptop on battery only. Both of those ended in the same results. I do not have a temperature option in the BIOS settings. I have decided to just unplug the laptop completely and box it up. Once I can afford something better, then I plan on donating this Laptop to someone who can take apart the processor fan unit and clean it out proper. Also with a disclaimer that the person may have to replace the processor. I figure no sense in running this Laptop into ground, where it is completely useless (where no one can work with it).

Moebius, I thank you kindly for all you suggestions and ideas! :D Well we gave it a good try. :) For now, so long.P
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby D1Knight » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:49 pm

D1Knight wrote:
Moebius wrote:Hi D1Knight,

Hi Moebius,
OK, I tried runing Memtest from Grub menu instead and running Laptop on battery only. Both of those ended in the same results. I do not have a temperature option in the BIOS settings. I have decided to just unplug the laptop completely and box it up. Once I can afford something better, then I plan on donating this Laptop to someone who can take apart the processor fan unit and clean it out proper. Also with a disclaimer that the person may have to replace the processor. I figure no sense in running this Laptop into ground, where it is completely useless (where no one can work with it).

Moebius, I thank you kindly for all you suggestions and ideas! :D Well we gave it a good try. :) For now, so long.P

Hi Moebius and all,

I'm back.....well kinda. ;) I am a open and honest person (follow the golden rule). This is to let you know I am back, but out of necessity. I need online access for Email and to surf to fill out job applications. Since this is my only puter for now, it is easier and saves time filling job apps online versus going to and fro. Saves gasoline money, too. Once I am able to save more money I can then shop for a better puter, hopefully one that is easy to clean too. :)

Moebius, you know more about computers than I (noob). What is the ways to tell if one's puter is a netbot/zombie computer or has been hacked? Would this have anything to do with RAM? Thanks.P
D1Knight
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.3