Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Brand New to UE2.3 (Intro, First Impressions, and Questions)

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Re: Brand New to UE2.3 (Intro, First Impressions, and Questions)

Postby Driver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:44 pm

quote="Moebius"]not knowing what it is exactly that you have tried - so if I double-up a suggestion that you may already have tried, I apologise in advance.[/quote]

I don't even know exactly what I have tried and that's one of the reasons that I decided to start over and to try installing this stuff. BtW, you'll never have to apologize to me for trying to help. It's not supposed to work that way lol.

Moebius wrote:4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0)" or in my case "(hd0,3)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines. Note that you should have mounted the partition which has your Linux system before typing this command. (e.g. In Knoppix Live CD partitions are shown on the desktop but they're not mounted until you double-click on them or mount them manually)

From "terminal":
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

Error 15: File not found

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

Error 15: File not found

And yes, the 9.7gig Ext4 partition that I created and installed(?) Ultimate Edition 2.3 to is mounted - its icon is appearing on my desktop and right-clicking it shows an option to UN-mount it.

Time to try installing again?
Last edited by Driver on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby jai » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:47 pm

Moebius wrote:If this doesn't help, I'm sure we'll find something that will. :)

Something tells me that it will work for Driver, Moebius ;)
Good luck... <BREW>
jai

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Driver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:41 pm

It didn't; see the post directly above yours.

I just tried reinstalling it and got the Installation Failed pop-up box at the end again.

The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.

Hmm. This does NOT bode well. There ISN'T a CD/DVD disk or drive in the equation as I placed the UE2.3 image onto the USB stick. And I just did a complete scan, find, and fix file/directory and physical error chkdsk on my hard drive on Monday or Tuesday.

I am going to try shutting down, removing the flash drive, and then booting with the hard drive. Error 17, coming right up... (I'm guessing.)

Maybe I should just try to learn how to get the ability to boot Vista back. Everything seems to still be there, I can view photos, text files, the bc43 broadcom driver files (I hunted that down yesterday in hopes that I could somehow figure out to get that hardware installer program to see the copy that is already on my hard drive instead of making me get it from the internet each time I booted the USB stick so that I could disconnect the cable and leave it disconnected (no joy), I can play music files and videos - all of that is on the Vista partition - from within UE2.3.
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Admin-Amir » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Hello Driver.

here is some screen shot for the process of the working UNetbootin.

Admin-Amir

Postby Driver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Admin-Amir wrote:Hello Driver.

here is some screen shot for the process of the working UNetbootin.

That's definitely the one that I used the second time I made the USB stick. The first time I used one that had a slider on the right side for the persistence storage. Both were in/from the Vista OS which I can no longer boot - or I would try again.

And... I DID get the error 17 again when I reinstalled from the USB stick to the hard drive by clicking on the install option. The only thing that I haven't (and am not willing to try yet) tried was to allow the partition part of the installer to wipe the drive instead of using only a portion of it.

Btw - I am not positive about the beginning, but by the time I'm at the point where you click Next from the partion tool to go the next installation step it is calling the hard drive and partitions SCSI ones instead of IDE or SATA (not sure which I actually have but I can't see HP using SCSI on a cheap(sic) consumer laptop.

I seem to be at a roadblock in the process. As always, ideas are appreciated.

Odd additional behavior: I just tried to run the System - Administration - Hardware Drivers thing again to download the BC43 Broadcom stuff so I could move the laptop into a cooler room (basement); the box got to 100% but then kept doing the Kight Rider thing (back and forth) while displaying 100%. After a few minutes, I hit Cancel. After another couple of minutes I heard the "fail" audio thing and it closed the "downloading" box (can't remember its title) and gave me this one (untitled):
Sorry, the Jockey backend crashed. Please file a bug at:

ubuntu-bug jockey-common

Trying to recover by restarting backend.

So I Closed that box and the main one and after a few seconds tried downloading the driver again. Now it just says the Searching for available drivers... untitled box at 0% with the Kight Rider behavior without bringing up the main box.

Hmm! Is there any way (from the Live setup) to make UE2.3 realize that - aside from the fact that it can't find it online at present for whatever reason - since I have Vista installed with working Broadcom wireless, that I already HAVE the needed driver(?) and to just grab it from my Vista partition?
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Driver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:51 pm

The thing that was stuck at 0% finally gave up trying and turned into Application problem box with the following text:
Sorry, the program "jockey-
gtk" closed unexpectedly

If you were not doing anything confidential (entering
passwords or other private information), you can help
to improve the application by reporting the problem.

[] Ignore future crashes of this program version

As soon as I Send this post, I'll tell it to send the info.
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Cell » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:59 pm

If you don't mind Ill jump in.

In what file system did you format the usb stick?I didn't catch this info from any of your posts.For the longest time I would get disk errors slimier to what you are describing until I figured out the if I format usb stick in fat 16(and only fat 16.) prior to using unetbootin... it always worked.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Driver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Cell wrote:If you don't mind Ill jump in.

In what file system did you format the usb stick?I didn't catch this info from any of your posts.For the longest time I would get disk errors slimier to what you are describing until I figured out the if I format usb stick in fat 16(and only fat 16.) prior to using unetbootin... it always worked.

FAT32. Uh-oh.

If I could repair the problem to run Vista, I'd be willing to reformat the stick, redownload the live image, redownload the image-putter-on-the-stick, rerun one on the other, reinstall, etc.

And I'd even do it while roped to the router this time even though wireless works in Windows off the bat so as to remove the possibility that the neighbor's microwave didn't cause errors in my download or whateve
Last edited by Driver on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Cell » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:39 pm

So then we need an expert on fixing the mbr so you can boot back into vista.Do I understand you correctly that you don't have a means to use a cd,or a dvd?

Also I by no means intend to say unetbootin isn't supposed to work only on a fat 16 formated stick....I never read the instructions on how to use the app.The above post is merely my experience with it.I see that your able to post replies on the forum.So are you able to use that pc to reformat the drive,and use unetbootin?<Obvious question I know,but we are trying to get you up and running as soon as possible.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Driver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:15 pm

Cell wrote:So then we need an expert on fixing the mbr so you can boot back into vista.Do I understand you correctly that you don't have a means to use a cd,or a dvd?

Also I by no means intend to say unetbootin isn't supposed to work only on a fat 16 formated stick....I never read the instructions on how to use the app.The above post is merely my experience with it.I see that your able to post replies on the forum.So are you able to use that pc to reformat the drive,and use unetbootin?<Obvious question I know,but we are trying to get you up and running as soon as possible.

In order first to last:

That was my original thinking - but that was before I started worrying about disc errors. But... I guess an MBR that's gone down for the dirt nap would qualify for the designation, so maybe that's still all that I need (for now - still want to both install UE2.3 to a chunk of the hard drive and make a 100% healthy live version for portability and to let others play without having to download or install first.

It has a dvd/cd burner - but I have reason not to trust it. I would only want to use it to burn the OS media as a last resort. likelihood of success pretty low. Higher if someone ELSE burned it and could verify same.

Well, if you run into someone who follow a given procedure and has nothing BUT trouble and once they changed the procedure they had none, and you were also having nothing but trouble and had ALSO followed the first procedure that they were trying... I don't remember reading to only use FAT-16 but you know, it's another variable in the equation for sure (whether it is relevant or not, IDK).

Yes, I can still at this point boot from the live USB stick. But twice now I have done so and it's hung upon my trying to use the Hardware Installation broadcom installer tool. Guessing that's telling me that there is a problem with the stick. IDK.

I cannot, however, get Vista to run.at this point, that little usb stick is my only means of using the computer).

I'm about to go back and follow the steps on the terminal grub info thing but I'll put the results in the next post so as to keep this one supershort.
Last edited by Driver on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.3