Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Brand New to UE2.3 (Intro, First Impressions, and Questions)

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Re: Brand New to UE2.3 (Intro, First Impressions, and Questions)

Postby Cell » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:26 am

I suppose with mandy you only used one partition?Did you also make a linux swamp partition?It might shed light if you can post a pic of the partitions on the drive using gparted like I did in my screen shot.I do believe you said the wifi was working on the live usb right?then you should be able to do it.Under app>accessories theres a screen shot tool.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Driver » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:43 am

With Mandy I actually had three. The swap file of 1 gig and two other ones that together were about 9 gigs or so I think (now with all three removed I have approximately 10 gigs free). I had read that it was a good idea to have a separate program and data partition so that in event that you mess the program one up and have to reinstall, you would still have your data.

But I'm not sure what they were (/, /boot, /usr, /var = Martian to me for the time being) and I don't know if they were even the best way.

I have ~10 gigs free to put Ultimate Edition 2.3 on. I believe that I can set up a dual-boot now <HOPES>.

I know that I need a "swap" partition and at least one other for linux. Do you have any suggestions as to whether I should create two separate non-swap partitions or just one? And either way, what to call them as far as /, /boot, /usr, or what-not?

And which filesystem to use? I was thinking that one of the journaling ones would help protect me from having to do a reinstall if I lose power (laptop) or have to turn the computer off the hard way. Before it was ext3. I see that there is ext4 now and am assuming that I should use it.

Sorry that it took me a little while to return to this thread. I have been reading a little bit in the forums here.

At this point, a screen shot of my partitions would only show the two NTFS ones and a hole that is waiting for me to install Ultimate Edition.
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Cell » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:19 am

I gotcha.Well then...Same thing for Ultimate Edition

/root /home and a swamp partition.I personally use ext 4...on all partitions.10 gigs isn't really a lot to work with tho.To be honest I don't know what the minimal partitions sizes would be.Maybe skip the /home,and just use one /root, and a gig for the swamp.

Maybe someone else can help with the partition sizes.
hardware
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Mythbuntu 9.10
We are all connected;
To the earth, chemically
Cell
Site Admin

Postby Driver » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:27 am

Cell wrote:/root /home and a swamp partition.I personally use ext 4...on all partitions.10 gigs isn't really a lot to work with tho.To be honest I don't know what the minimal partitions sizes would be.Maybe skip the /home,and just use one /root, and a gig for the swamp.

Maybe someone else can help with the partition sizes.

Thank you very much. As I am itching to do the install (from DVD this time) onto my freshly-repaired(?) system, I will create a 1 gig swap partition at the end of my drives unpartitioned space and then create one (/root) partition to fill the remaining space.

That should allow me to perform the install. And then I can get started playing and know that my linux "system" is writable.

I read something about ext4 not being perfected in all cases for all persons yet so I will use ext3.

Again, you have been a great help and thank you.
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Cell » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:32 am

No problem man.Let us know how it go's ;) Just remember if you don't have vista as a option at the boot list...its o.k. that can be dealt with later.
hardware
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Mythbuntu 9.10
We are all connected;
To the earth, chemically
Cell
Site Admin

Postby Driver » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:52 am

Cell wrote:No problem man.Let us know how it go's ;) Just remember if you don't have vista as a option at the boot list...its o.k. that can be dealt with later.

Now that I know that as long as the data is still physically there, I can stumble into finding it again :lol:

But it seems that I will not get to install linux this night after all. That 10 gigs free space that I've been planning all along to use for my shiny new linux distro seems to have disappeared.

I do not at this point know whether it was absorbed into the main Vista partition by Vista's repair process (it might have thought it was being helpful lol) or if it is still there but hidden somehow. I'll have to figure that out first. The Vista partition has a whopping 14 or so gigs free and I thought that sounded right, but it might be that before I screwed everything up I'd filled all but 4 gigs of it. Come to think of it, I've probably still got the first UE2.3 DVD image that I downloaded on there.

Seems like Vista likes to throw things all over its partition when data is added which means that I won't be able to just delete a couple things and shrink the partition - I'll have to use something to maximize the continuous free space first. That may have to wait until I am more rested.
Attachments
snapshot1.png
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Cell » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:28 am

You probably lost the space from vista backing up restore images.

Seems like Vista likes to throw things all over its partition when data is added which means that I won't be able to just delete a couple things and shrink the partition - I'll have to use something to maximize the continuous free space first.

the only way I'm aware of is to defrag(a few times) the vista partition,and then shrink(using a different app) it.This whole process is not for the weary tho...and has a good chance of loosing data.For the first...The only way I'm aware of defrag is to boot into the os.It might be possible from the windows recovery console tho...just not sure.

I have to ask...why hang on to vista?<In risk of sounding like some crazed linux user,but I'm not.I use xp too....not much but I do.

note:you don't want to use the auto installer.Trust me.When you get to that point edit the partition yourself.
hardware
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Mythbuntu 9.10
We are all connected;
To the earth, chemically
Cell
Site Admin

Postby Driver » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:36 am

(Text deleted by Driver. Not required for thread.)
Last edited by Driver on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby stanca » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:30 am

During the Ultimate Edition's installation when you reach to the partitioning point choose the guided or manual option,if you want to keep your vista's partitions.BTW,if you install the UE2.3 wich has many desktop environments and preinstalled apps I personally think that 10gb's space only is too low,think for 15-20gb minimum,later you might need some space for data,updates and other apps you will install and use. <BREW>
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby Cell » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:50 pm

Going to run my defragger and check to see how large a partition (+ swap) I can make and if it's not around 10 gigs or better I'm going to take my nightly nap.

Now I'm confused....All this time I thought you were unable to boot into vista. :?

note:you don't want to use the auto installer.Trust me.When you get to that point edit the partition yourself

With jaunty people have had bad experiences letting the installer do the work for em...over writing their Microsoft partitions.(this is that 1% were linux might not do what you ask ;) )So use the installer,and edit the partition manually.

You probably lost the space from vista backing up restore images.

During normal use a microsofts os will make backup images(not everything,but just system folders.) without the user knowing.It can be shut off,but is not by default.Over time theses images will eat hard drive space...without a user's knowledge.

edit:I should add that you should turn it off,and delete those recovery files if your trying to gain disk space.There always put at the end of the drive,and will continue to do so....but be warned it might not go as planed...but what does anyways?If there were no surprises life would be boring.

something to read...Its interesting,and I do not condone it. ;) But you can make your own using an app called nlite,and its all legal to do so.

http://www.davidtan.org/tinyxp-and-tinyvista/
hardware