Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

No EMail Notification of Replies to my Posts-[SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Re: No EMail Notification of Replies to my Posts

Postby Cell » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:51 pm

Hmmm.....how about that.I'm getting forum notifications now.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby buschbarber » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:35 am

Thank you!! I will try to remember to separate posts on different subjects into different threads.

I also noticed that 3.5 can now be installed using apt-get install. It worked fine, but I had to change the properties/path for the Firefox icon on the Top Panel and in the Applications menu to the Firefox folder in my home/rich folder.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 2.66Ghz
Nvidia Gforce 9800GTX+ PCIe 512Mb
Realtek ALC1200 8ch Audio Adapter
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
3 SATA Internal HDD - 250Gb, 250Gb, 500Gb
Ultimate Edition 2.8 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and Windows 7 64bit
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby buschbarber » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:16 am

I went to this site in order to set Gmail as the Default Emal Client.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/s ... in-ubuntu/

Now, when I click on the Mail Notification icon, it opens the Gmail Sendto window instead of the Gmail InBox.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby buschbarber » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:33 am

Blackwolf wrote:
buschbarber wrote:I went to this site in order to set Gmail as the Default Emal Client.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/s ... in-ubuntu/

Now, when I click on the Mail Notification icon, it opens the Gmail Sendto window instead of the Gmail InBox.

buschbarber,you need to start being a bit more pro active with finding solutions to your issues as well,other wise the posts will just go on & on & on. Have you right clicked the icon ? Is there a preferences option ?

I worked at Kodak for 34 years, in Research, first working on Color Photographic Paper development, and then switching to IT when the mainframes became overloaded and PC's were first introduced. I have had years of Windows and Mac experience, but only since I retired have I had a chance to learn Linux.

I believe I am very proactive. I search everywhere for answers. I am trying to get my Ubuntu machine set up like my Windows 7 box. Since I receive tons of email every day, it is one of the more important things on my mind at the moment. This is one of those things that would be a snap in Windows, but not so easy, in Ubuntu, to resolve. I do not understand much of the Linux terminology and there are multiple ways to do the same thing so it is somewhat confusing, at the moment.

All I am asking for is to set up a Gmail notification program that tells me how many new messages I have waiting and notifies me with an audible tone that I can hear anywhere in the house. Of the 4 apps I have looked at, Mail Notification comes the closest to what I want. It has been very time consuming coming up with the solution to this problem. Just trying to understand why this site does not send me emails when someone replies to one of my posts, even though I have all the correct settings to make that happens, has been a painful process. It still does not work, but I am sure that TheMann with straighten it out.

Yes!! I have checked the settings for Mail Notification. Under Properties/Status Icon/Click action, I have chosen Open Mail Reader, but instead of opening my Gmal InBox, it opens the Send a Message window. Before I set Gmail as my Default Mail Program, it was set to Evolution. Now it is Gmail, but I need it to open my InBox.

Also, the number that appears on the Mail Notification icon, in the System Tray, always seems to 20, no matter how many new messages are waiting.

When I get the answer to these issues, I will move on to another Topic, until everything is working the way I like it.

What more do you want me to do. This is the UE2.3 forum and I have UE2.3. You guys are the experts. I put up a post on the Mail Notification forum and my first response was "What is UE2.3?" I have also posted on other Ubuntu forums, as well. I only have two other friends who are interested in Linux and they are less knowledgeable than I am.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby buschbarber » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:29 pm

I realize that you guys are not paid to track down every issue that is posted here.

One of my other passions is Radio Controlled Model Aircraft. There is a forum called RC Universe. I monitor dozens of threads on this forum and I have hundreds of posts. I love to contribute in an area where I have some expertise, and help those that are less experienced. I am used to getting what might be considered Dumb questions, over and over again, but the satisfaction of helping someone else without asking for anything else in return is worth every minute. I spend hours, every week in the summer, helping new fliers protect their investment and learn to control their expensive models.

I promise you that I try every suggestion you make and if I do not understand, I will ask for clarification. As I learn I will pass it along to the newbies behind me.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby buschbarber » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:27 pm

I sent a Bug Report to the Mail Notification support.

My two issues were:

The number on the Status Icon does not reflect the number of newly received messages

Setting the Properties for the Status Icon to "Open Mail Reader" should open the Gmail Inbox, but instead, it opens the Gmail Send a Note window.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby razy60 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:01 am

Not sure if this has been covered but do you still have Evolution mail in your task bar or is it still installed, i remember reading in the ubuntu forums that it caused conflicts with other mail clients.

Raz
O/S; U.E 2.6 64 bit, OSX, xp pro, Windows 7 64 bit
Mobo: Asus P6t
cpu, Intel i7 920
ram, 4Gb DDR3 G Skill 1600 ripjaw
lan, realtek rtl8211b
sound, realtek 1200 hd + ati Hd audio
gpu, Asus EAH 5870 1Gb
HDD, OCZ Vertex 2 60GB ssd(OS) 2 x 250 GB(in raid0 for progs) 2x 1TB samsung (storage)
Wireless keyboard Logitek wave
Mouse: Microsoft X8 sidewinder
Display: sharp 42" lcd 1080p tv via hdmi
Laptop:
Dell studio 1557 7 pro x64& Ultimate Edition 2.7 32bit
i7 720 multi core cpu
4GB 1333mhz ram
INtel 5300 agn 802.11n wifi adaptor
Ati radeon HD 4570 512mb gpu
320GB 7200 HDD
1920x1080 screen
1x low opinion of this laptop
razy60
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:47 am

Nope I can confirm this, it began on 08/05/09 [email protected] wonder if the address has anything to do with it?

Let me tell you what I have began doing. I am moving all of my websites from 8 servers to 2 and evidently that was the day I moved ubuntusoftware. The new server is hosting 5 websites currently as it sits and next month I will move the last 3 to a totally separate server (a review of hosting companies is also coming). I honestly did not want to move the forum due to the amount of work involved, but had full intentions of moving the other 2 (the highest traffic websites I have by the way http anyways not files, but people) The forum being the lowest of all of them in both areas.

Moving 8 sites to 2 my god is what you may think, actually it can be perceived as moving 8 to 12, wait for my review it will be on the home page viewed on avg 10000 times a day, my current hosting company will get their 2 cents worth, have you seen them shut me down before for too high of traffic? In a week I see higher then they have ever done for me in a month, I will explain traffic. What does "UNLIMITED" mean?

Until I move the other three sites it is in my best interest not to set up another "redirection". Please be patient with me. Perhaps I should global that, that means the forum will be down nothing less then a day unless I can get Cab or another high speed line to "work with me".

For what it's worth the site hosting 5 sites one of which was currently suspended from the previous hosting company (only hosted Ultimate Edition 2.2 period) when I "redirected it", after Cab & I uploaded it to the new server. The new hosting company is not only handling that kind of traffic, but 4 others. 1 of the 4 being what I used to call "MAIN" when you download the release, starting to see the difference yet? I will explain redirection the whole nine yards when I write a review.

To be honest with you I probably could put all 8 sites on one server it is business class, but I have always learned never put too many eggs in one basket. Why did I have 8 servers doing 1 job to begin with? I do not refer to 1 mirror, a whole new eye opener. I have a "new" mirror coming, beyond most peoples recognition & I have not even told my admin 13 countries at a time ;)

Thanks,

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby buschbarber » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:45 am

razy60 wrote:Not sure if this has been covered but do you still have Evolution mail in your task bar or is it still installed, i remember reading in the ubuntu forums that it caused conflicts with other mail clients.

Raz

I still have Evolution in the Taskbar. It came with UE2.3 along with CheckMail. I did not know if just having these programs installed, but not using them, would interfere with any similar programs.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby buschbarber » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:51 am

TheeMahn wrote:Nope I can confirm this, it began on 08/05/09 [email protected] wonder if the address has anything to do with it?

Thanks,

TheeMahn

Since I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to the complexities of hosting a forum like this, I did not have a clear idea of how much work was involved, on your part. I can understand that while you would like to be able to resolve every issue, I'm sure you have to prioritize.

Thank you for making this site available.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor